paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a colonial spot that hasn't been hunted out! Based on the local maps this site was abandoned in the 1860's, but the relics were almost entirely 1780-1830 so it may have been a secondary unoccupied house for the later part of it's existence. The only drawback to this spot is that it's surrounded on three sides by swamp so the soil is pretty soft and moist. Almost every target was 6" down or more, but once I figured that out I was on a hot streak!

DSC05868.JPG

Not a ton of signals, but the buttons were mostly tombacs which is always a good sign. I did find an intact Georgian shoe buckle, although it's as plain as they can be. The bridle rosette is pewter thickly plated with silver and quite nice even if it is missing some sections. Where this site really shined though was the coins!

The very first coin was a Spanish half real and I rinsed it in a nearby creek to reveal my first (non-counterfeit) pillars and globes type:

DSC05875.JPG

Not just that, but a clear date of 1744 so my second oldest silver ever! :hello2: It took awhile before the next coin popped up, but it was another colonial:

DSC05869.JPG DSC05871.JPG

As you can see the ground wasn't too nice to it, but the 1771 date is legible, and surprisingly it actually is a regal KGIII half penny which I don't often come across. I did also stumble on a more recent copper:

DSC05872.JPG DSC05873.JPG

An 1831 large cent! Nice clear signal and the date wasn't obliterated so I was happy. The last coin was the one that shocked me. It was a button signal and when I got it out of the plug it looked just like a flat button with the shank missing. A quick rub and I could see the standing figure with the bow, which I recognized as the Massachusetts seal. I swear I thought it was an early Massachusetts militia button which I was pretty pumped about, but when I turned it over to see the back mark, I instead saw the eagle...

Half Cent.jpg

A 1787 Massachusetts half cent! Granted the ground wiped out a lot of the detail, but there's no mistaking it and believe it or not I was able to determine the die paring. It's a Ryder 1-D which is listed as R4, very scarce. This was the last major state copper that I hadn't found an example of and I never expected to find a half cent since they're so rare.

DSC05877.JPG DSC05878.JPG

Massachusetts was the only state to mint the coins themselves as opposed to franchising out the minting to a private operation. They had expected the coining to generate a profit, but after a little over a year of operation an audit revealed that they were spending twice as much as the face value in coins minted so they allowed the mint to run until it ran out of copper in 1788 and abandoned the effort. Based on their records, Massachusetts only minted 100,000-115,000 half cents in total and 61,000-80,000 in 1787. This could very well be my best coin find for all of 2020 and definitely the highlight so far!

DSC05881.JPG

Upvote 55

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea that any of the state issued coinage was in half cents! Great find :thumbsup:

I am also amazed by your Pillar & Globes half real.. Not by the coin itself, but by the fact it is your first considering the other finds I've seen you post :laughing7:

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. Too bad about the bad ground. I guess that you just have to find more silver. Congrats:icon_thumright:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That half cent is a great find
Congrats

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Never found a Mass state copper, let alone the 1/2 cent. Congrats.........Hogge

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mass. state copper is still on the bucket list for me too. Had no idea they made a half cent either. Now I have to put that on my list also. :laughing7: Awesome digs. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also amazed by your Pillar & Globes half real.. Not by the coin itself, but by the fact it is your first considering the other finds I've seen you post

I know right! And it's not like I don't find coppers from the mid 18th century. I find plenty of Charles III and IIII Spanish silver and even that one half pistareen from 1726 last year. My guess is that most of the really early settlers around here just didn't have much money prior to the Revolutionary War and so there wasn't much actual silver circulating at the time.

I actually did find a pewter counterfeit of a 1764 pillars and globes 2 reales. Not sure if I've posted all of them, but I'm up to four counterfeit half dollars, a counterfeit french 1 dollar equivalent, and the 2 reales. Seems they had a serious counterfeiting problem in this region!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know right! And it's not like I don't find coppers from the mid 18th century. I find plenty of Charles III and IIII Spanish silver and even that one half pistareen from 1726 last year. My guess is that most of the really early settlers around here just didn't have much money prior to the Revolutionary War and so there wasn't much actual silver circulating at the time.

I actually did find a pewter counterfeit of a 1764 pillars and globes 2 reales. Not sure if I've posted all of them, but I'm up to four counterfeit half dollars, a counterfeit french 1 dollar equivalent, and the 2 reales. Seems they had a serious counterfeiting problem in this region!

Sweet state coin and pillar reales are arguably much harder to find than cobs at least in my neck of the woods

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post covers all the bases - great finds, great photos, and a great narrative. Awesome to see that your research paid off with some productive hunting. I too am still looking for my first MA copper.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your research and on your finds Max! :occasion14:
I loved reading through the history and seeing this rosette, your 1744 Half Real and all those beautiful coppers and buttons.

Dave

Attachments

• DSC05868-crop.JPG
    DSC05868-crop.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 58

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did really well! As bad as you say the ground was those coppers came out pretty ok. Even the half cent is in pretty decent condition compared to many coppers that come out of the ground. It's amazing that you were able to attribute it and it turns out to be a rare one! Funny story my buddy found a Mass large cent and for a couple hrs we thought it was the ultra rare one that is worth like 20K. Turned out not to be. I'm still looking for a Mass copper in Mass... not an easy thing to find! I hope this is my year for it! The half reale is a beauty too! I've only found one Spanish silver and its that style with the shield crest on the other side. Mine is 1768 and holed.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a great representation of early coinage at that site, Spanish, KG, State and LC. Congrats

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomenal finds! That 1/2 cent is awesome!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is true that they don't seem to turn up as often as cobs, pistareens, and portraits. The first Spanish I ever dug was a beautiful 1764 Pillars one real, and I have found over a dozen Pillars since, including three 2 reales and an 8 reales cut in half. The geographical variations in colonial coin distribution on the east coast is fascinating.

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread