paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a colonial spot that hasn't been hunted out! Based on the local maps this site was abandoned in the 1860's, but the relics were almost entirely 1780-1830 so it may have been a secondary unoccupied house for the later part of it's existence. The only drawback to this spot is that it's surrounded on three sides by swamp so the soil is pretty soft and moist. Almost every target was 6" down or more, but once I figured that out I was on a hot streak!

DSC05868.JPG

Not a ton of signals, but the buttons were mostly tombacs which is always a good sign. I did find an intact Georgian shoe buckle, although it's as plain as they can be. The bridle rosette is pewter thickly plated with silver and quite nice even if it is missing some sections. Where this site really shined though was the coins!

The very first coin was a Spanish half real and I rinsed it in a nearby creek to reveal my first (non-counterfeit) pillars and globes type:

DSC05875.JPG

Not just that, but a clear date of 1744 so my second oldest silver ever! :hello2: It took awhile before the next coin popped up, but it was another colonial:

DSC05869.JPG DSC05871.JPG

As you can see the ground wasn't too nice to it, but the 1771 date is legible, and surprisingly it actually is a regal KGIII half penny which I don't often come across. I did also stumble on a more recent copper:

DSC05872.JPG DSC05873.JPG

An 1831 large cent! Nice clear signal and the date wasn't obliterated so I was happy. The last coin was the one that shocked me. It was a button signal and when I got it out of the plug it looked just like a flat button with the shank missing. A quick rub and I could see the standing figure with the bow, which I recognized as the Massachusetts seal. I swear I thought it was an early Massachusetts militia button which I was pretty pumped about, but when I turned it over to see the back mark, I instead saw the eagle...

Half Cent.jpg

A 1787 Massachusetts half cent! Granted the ground wiped out a lot of the detail, but there's no mistaking it and believe it or not I was able to determine the die paring. It's a Ryder 1-D which is listed as R4, very scarce. This was the last major state copper that I hadn't found an example of and I never expected to find a half cent since they're so rare.

DSC05877.JPG DSC05878.JPG

Massachusetts was the only state to mint the coins themselves as opposed to franchising out the minting to a private operation. They had expected the coining to generate a profit, but after a little over a year of operation an audit revealed that they were spending twice as much as the face value in coins minted so they allowed the mint to run until it ran out of copper in 1788 and abandoned the effort. Based on their records, Massachusetts only minted 100,000-115,000 half cents in total and 61,000-80,000 in 1787. This could very well be my best coin find for all of 2020 and definitely the highlight so far!

DSC05881.JPG

Upvote 55

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I speak for all Mass. hunters here that it's only right that the coin should be returned to one of our back yards and no questions will be asked.

FANTASTIC HUNT, CONGRATS TO YOU!

HH all,

Greg
That line of thinking has been tried before....unsuccessfully :laughing7:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Paleo, I am green with envy. MA cents are hard enough to find. MA half cents are rarer than hen's teeth. Congrats!

As a matter of fact, I don't recall any being posted in recent memory, and I don't know anyone with that half cent. That's a Banner nod for me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer old copper, congrats! :occasion14:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. Wish my soil was so kind. I found my first Massachusetts cent this year, but it was toast. Congrats on a stellar hunt!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!!!! Looks like you hit the mother-lode. I guess it pays to explore even the swampiest spots in search of colonial treasure. Given their age, those coins are in great shape! The fact that you can identify each one is fantastic. The Mass half cent is a wonderful piece. I've only ever found one, and it was in much worse shape compared to yours. Congratulations!!!!!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply fantastic finds- Congrats!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your research and on your finds Max! :occasion14:
I loved reading through the history and seeing this rosette, your 1744 Half Real and all those beautiful coppers and buttons.

Dave

Antiquarian, what's that object in your post? Its neat!
Oyster shell...??
Jewelry...???

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations. That’s a great find.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleo, I am green with envy. MA cents are hard enough to find. MA half cents are rarer than hen's teeth. Congrats!

As a matter of fact, I don't recall any being posted in recent memory, and I don't know anyone with that half cent. That's a Banner nod for me.

Thank you so much for your vote! I also couldn't remember seeing any Mass 1/2 cents posted which is odd since tons of awesome state coppers get posted here regularly. It would have traded at slightly more than the value of a farthing which wasn't a very popular coin so maybe they just weren't used in many transactions. :dontknow:

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing hunt. That half cent is in tremendous shape. Glad you rescued some of that history!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread