What's new

Material ID

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help with this first piece just melted glass or ? It was a creek find ....and what was the stone with all the lines cut in it for found it with a bunch of cores and the last hand ax from another spot on river
 

Attachments

  • image-598529253.webp
    image-598529253.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3243091528.webp
    image-3243091528.webp
    34 KB · Views: 94
  • image-4122367519.webp
    image-4122367519.webp
    61 KB · Views: 102
  • image-594211466.webp
    image-594211466.webp
    83.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3144539422.webp
    image-3144539422.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
Quartz crystal, Limestone (natural look on the cortex), Sediment and looks like chert for the last. Id need to see the underside to be sure.
 
Thanks for the info in the quartz crystal it has some percussion marks on it and that made me curious the last is chert and the limestone I knew so do you find limestone with those strait grooves cut in them a lot ?
 
That doesn't look like quartz crystal to me.
It looks "waxy" and has rounded contours...more like chalcedony.
Here is a quartz crystal core for comparison.

ForumRunner_20130903_223223.webp
 
I can't think of the word but when lighting strikes and melts sand what is that called and what does it look like?
 
I have never saw a piece of that material here interesting thanks for your information .
 
crystal looks like this in my area.
And yes the limestone does have the lines on it most of the time. At least it does here in GA from the creeks.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2956.webp
    100_2956.webp
    137.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_2344.webp
    100_2344.webp
    81.9 KB · Views: 120
Those are burnt looking as far as I know.
 
Ooh ok idk that and those pieces are very pretty rock
 
That limestone was from the river I'm sorry for not wording that correct my apologies rock just the first piece was a creek find
 
Good luck with the ID. of that first piece.
I'm not thinking quartz.
Here is a couple more quartz pieces from N.C..

ForumRunner_20130903_225120.webp



ForumRunner_20130903_225340.webp
 
There is a white creamy feeling stone that is white and it starts with a Chad and I dont know how to spell it from there on.
 
I think rock is getting his messages later than us lol you guys are a big help atleast I have a Cooke of leads to follow thanks
 
Couple
 
One is jasper and the other 2 are crystal, silly
Red clay stuck on them

I was talking about lighting melted sand rock.
 
ok, I guess the phones are faster than my system
 
Lol not usually in my neck of the woods lol
 
I can't think of the word but when lighting strikes and melts sand what is that called and what does it look like?

Fulgurites form when lightning hits the sand. What you have pretty sure is an actual quartz crystal core. Not vein quartz, but an actual crystal that Mother Nature has cut to perfect 65 degree angles to form a point. Of course yours has not got the angles any longer. It's a core. Had it been unaltered, it would look like these guys!

image-2241211513.webp

This point below is made from a crystal.

image-736661209.webp
 
Beautiful pieces !!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom