12.7 KB · Views: 43

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks military related to me. Possibly an oxygen mask for pilots or air crew.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What's it made of?

While the color makes it look military, I see no provision for an O2 valve (Inhalation/Exhalation), microphone etc. It could be the outer portion (Hard-shell) of a mask.

It's not any US military Aircrew used O2 mask from the 70s on that I know of. In my 23 years in the Aircrew Life Support career field in the Air Force and I've never seen anything like it.

It could be something out of the former Combloc countries.......

Added: US made military mask would have a combination of the following on it. Manufacturer, National Stock Number (NSN), Part Number (PN), along with some other information.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxygen.. here is similar... ? >?

Oxygen Mask Flgiht Helmet Air Force High Altitude SU- 30 Pilots Flight 4.27

264713305994_1_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intriguing item. It could be an early version of an oxygen mask... they had to start somewhere!

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The OP's mask is a single strap mask, has no provisions to attach to a helmet. With the one end of the strap riveted there is no way to replace the strap (Straps are high wear parts on O2 masks).

If this is an aviation related mask, it would be for emergency passenger use, or if aircrew used, the strap would go over the helmet, similar to WWII era masks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

juvatwad

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP's mask is a single strap mask, has no provisions to attach to a helmet. With the one end of the strap riveted there is no way to replace the strap (Straps are high wear parts on O2 masks).

If this is an aviation related mask, it would be for emergency passenger use, or if aircrew used, the strap would go over the helmet, similar to WWII era masks.

It's made of lead, so is malleable. I read of an early version of a mask for delivering ether developed by Snow in the 1840's that was of similar construction. That's one of the things that mask me think it's more for medical use rather than aviation related.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's made of lead, so is malleable. I read of an early version of a mask for delivering ether developed by Snow in the 1840's that was of similar construction. That's one of the things that mask me think it's more for medical use rather than aviation related.

Oh and um.... did you not think that including the fact that the item was made from something as an unusual material such as lead be included in your "description". ?

Seems to be somewhat pertinent dontcha think :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

That would make more sense to me. It could possibly be a vintage ether, nitrous oxide, or anesthesia mask. You could send an inquiry to the following link and see if they could help narrow it down. In the meantime people here will continue to look.

ANESTHESIA ANTIQUES: INHALERS AND DROPPERS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

juvatwad

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and um.... did you not think that including the fact that the item was made from something as an unusual material such as lead be included in your "description". ?

Seems to be somewhat pertinent dontcha think :)

That's what happens when I post at 1 AM.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it's an anaesthetic mask for either surgical or dental use. This one is British, for surgical use, and circa 1925:

Anaesthetic Mask.jpg

The one above is made from stainless steel and the same basic design, although yours looks like an earlier forerunner. I would doubt that it's made of lead. Maybe it's tin, or zinc or some kind of soft alloy.

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
didnt they use lead to protect parts of you when they did xrays???.
brad

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread