oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found on my new permission of 800 acres . on the last remaining stubble of the year - l was just thinking that the field l was on was a bit of a washout, and the very next signal at only six inches deep and remarkably in perfect condition for something that fragile and around 600 years old..
Shining in the sunlight. A beutiful gold finger ring .... Hutch.:icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 511 (Small).jpg
    511 (Small).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 817
  • 515 (Small).jpg
    515 (Small).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 702
Upvote 96

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it's been a couple of yr.'s so did you get the ring back or a boat load of money as they traced that blue shield looking stone to Royalty? Good luck.
I wondered that as valuations lately have been below market price. (Very wrong!) I bet it got a £1500, instead of closer to £2500!!!

UPDATE PLEASE?

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry l havn't replied till now. lv'e not been on here for some time... but the ring was declared treasure and was claimed for one of the local museums and l recieved my £1000 reward (the landowner had the same) on Feb 22nd 2014. so £2000.
l was happy with the outcome. ps will try to visit and comment here more often.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry l havn't replied till now. lv'e not been on here for some time... but the ring was declared treasure and was claimed for one of the local museums and l recieved my £1000 reward (the landowner had the same) on Feb 22nd 2014. so £2000.
l was happy with the outcome. ps will try to visit and comment here more often.
Ok, thanks for the update. £2000 is in the right ballpark. CONGRATS

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that stone Lapis ?
Now confirmed by The British Museum to be a Sapphire, and from the medieval period most likely 14th century.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible piece, and I'm sorry that you didn't get to keep it.

mihmar79

Dec 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! GZ!:icon_thumright:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, from what I gather, they basically said "this is too good to be in the hands of a private citizen, it's now the property of the government. Here's a thousand pounds. Take it or leave it."

If this is the case, I think I'd be more than a little pissed off about it. I hope I've misunderstood.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So, from what I gather, they basically said "this is too good to be in the hands of a private citizen, it's now the property of the government. Here's a thousand pounds. Take it or leave it."

If this is the case, I think I'd be more than a little pissed off about it. I hope I've misunderstood.

I believe it's much more the recognition of it's it's historical value.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As its Gold & over 300 years old it would be illegal not to declare the find within 14 days.

After handing it over the local Museums have the opportunity to declare an interest in buying it for market value. If like my Gold ring they don't want it, they hand it back.
We have the fairest Laws in the whole of Europe, many Countries it's illegal to even use a detector.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat golden piece of history!

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010

They have some incredible stuff over there for sure. The rules are in place, its not a surprise, everyone knows how its going to go: You get it back or get paid. So if you decide to go detecting, you know how it might end, and you know you wont get shorted - in theory, as I don't know how they put a value on it, but I haven't heard of any values being placed that weren't pretty decent. Its not like some stories in the US where someone finds something, and it just gets taken. Seems pretty fair to me, unless I was the land owner and finder, I'd feel like I own what is on my land - otherwise I'm just the lucky bloke that got permission and found it.

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your comment , if the local museum hadn't wanted it then it would most likely been returned to me, but its the "luck of the draw!." Hutch..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread