What's new

Metal detecting in a ghost town!

Jessesacagio

Greenie
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
17
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this cool stuff in a town called irvinebank in Queensland. Not sure how old or what most of it is worth but I wouldn't mind knowing if anyone has any info :)
 

Attachments

  • image-3997260490.webp
    image-3997260490.webp
    68.2 KB · Views: 347
  • image-1906540470.webp
    image-1906540470.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 272
  • image-3804754232.webp
    image-3804754232.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 269
  • image-3038905140.webp
    image-3038905140.webp
    71.4 KB · Views: 264
  • image-2710759102.webp
    image-2710759102.webp
    78.9 KB · Views: 279
  • image-3851608195.webp
    image-3851608195.webp
    79.9 KB · Views: 264
Good job by you!!
 
I love that kind of stuff and that kind of hunting most of that looks very Victorian era to me... nice ornate stuff... I love the way they made things in the early 1900 s
Nice finds.
What are the dates on the coins?
 
Last edited:
I think I see a woman's belt buckle and ornate barrette.. A brooch, a nice button... A thimble and what appears to be a stocking/garter buckle
 
Last edited:
I think I see a woman's belt buckle and ornate barrette.. A brooch and what appears to be a stocking buckle

The shilling is from 1875 and yea your pretty much right about the buckle, the stocking garter and the brooch. I think the long feather looking thing is an old hair clip :)
 
Real nice finds.... hair clip is what I meant by barrette.
Looks like you have a real interesting place to detect good luck to you.
Oh yeah looks like a couple rifle shell casings also
 
Dang - that's a great day, better then some find in a whole career of detecting. :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks guys I do love metal detecting :)
 
Nice finds! I never thought about ghost towns down under.
 
Yea it's very hot and the ground is hard but I do love it :)
 
I get fired up every time I see a post from down under! Some of the best detecting I've ever had is in that country :) Not just the gold fields of WA or the golden triangle of Victoria but Sydney, Perth, Melbourne are just treasure troves waiting to be tapped. And ya tapped a good one there Jesse :thumbsup: Maybe you'll come up with a Soverien like Tinpan did reciently and Diggndownunder has been popping up goodie as well.

There's a lot of old ghost towns and abandoned homesteads there that have yielded some cool Victorian era finds but don't ignore the parks :) and green ways. Lots of lost abo's and kangaroo's mixed in with the Florien's and ten pence's down there as well. I was able to make lunch money and then some everyday in the big smokes.
 
Cool finds. Congrats
 
Yea I love Australia. Not only that it's my home country but because of all the amazing places I have still not yet explored. Hard land but you get strong and tan at the same time! Haha I love it. Thanks guys :)
 
great finds indeed looks like your on to some good stuff keep up the good work
 
Awesome finds!
 
the closest means to date a site by coins is this(my expierience only)

a)avg coin circulation is 30 years
b)come up with an avg.date of coins found
c)15 years later to 10 years later is often pretty close

nice finds !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom