Metal Nugget from CA River

KoD

Aug 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone,
I found a greyish-silver metal Nugget approximately 1.7cm in length and 0.7cm in width, while swimming through the Merced River in California (a bit cold).

View attachment 20200819132440_IMG_7268.jpg

View attachment 20200819132739_IMG_7273.jpg

Before gently scrubbing with soapy water:

IMG_20200815_163633.jpg

It has a shiny silver to almost white streak on porcelain and from what I can tell with my weak magnets, it's not ferromagnetic. There's a possible weak interaction but nothing conclusive (used socket wrench/screwdriver magnets). I don't have a good mass scale either but I gather it's about 1 gram in weight using my less than top shelf kitchen scale. It feels lighter than a 1 cent penny and close to or just lighter than a 10 cent dime.

I haven't tried to polish it, I was considering putting some egg yolk on a spot and see if it tarnishes. Thoughts on that and thoughts on what this peculiar nugget could be?? Suggestions on tests to try or how to get it analyzed or if it's worth the effort to do so?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a fire nugget,a melted beer can.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's an interesting find, and I'm thinking it could be one a few
different things. One thing for certain, it's had the crap beat out of
it bouncing along that river bottom.

I don't believe it's a mercury covered gold nugget, but that is a remote
possibility. Another option would be a small chunk of pencil lead sinker
used/lost by drift fishermen.

You'd probably have to run some chemical tests to ultimately
determine what it's made of.

Enhanced pic:

163633-2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KoD

KoD

Aug 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I pressed into it with some sharp steel scissors, it seems pretty rigid and somewhat hard. A moderate amount of force left only a small indention, much less than what I'd expect from compressed aluminum foil. It's not easily malleable, I can't bend it with my hands.

Upvote 0

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that it’s a piece of aluminum. If possible, try measuring its volume via water displacement to find the density.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pressed into it with some sharp steel scissors, it seems pretty rigid and somewhat hard. A moderate amount of force left only a small indention, much less than what I'd expect from compressed aluminum foil. It's not easily malleable, I can't bend it with my hands.

Thats because its a blob of melted aluminum. Its from people throwing beer cans into their camp fire.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
KoD

KoD

Aug 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That makes sense, I can see it being aluminum based on the weight. I'll see about water displacement, I don't have any fancy beakers or anything but I can get 10mL syringes that may suffice?

Thanks everyone for your input!! It's much appreciated

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread