Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ascary said:
you guys are all right about everything you said about M?xico. It stinks, it sucks, it?s a dangerous place to treasurehunt, etc., etc. ( je-je ) That leaves all the treasure hunting ;) for us.
You are right Ascary! And the roads are bad and there is nothing to find, please don't come.
Good luck to Steve and Bruce on their 2 week jaunt down to La Paz, good find that first day guys , post pictures on your return! heres is mine!!

Attachments

• BajaCoins.jpg.jpg
    BajaCoins.jpg.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 776
S

SASQUASH

I em going down soon with my Church hope to do some hunting then but I will take my coin master instead of my XLT just in case.SASQUASH'S don't see borders but they do.ha ha. SASQUASH

C

Charles,Oak Island

mvSWAT said:
My vacation in Cancun was one of my best ever and I hope to go back.
While I don't have personal experience with the Mexican Federalis I do have an observation. Why is it that outlaws scramble to get sanctuary in Mexico and Mexicans are constantly illegally trying to cross our boarders?

And exfederalis join the drug cartel and shoot at american border patrol officers. If you must go to mexico be careful while detecting.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Look up Nuevo Laredo and missing persons, nuff said...

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Nice country. Not.

http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/case.cfm?id=30673

Thirty-one Americans have been reported as kidnapped just across the Mexican border. Seventeen are unaccounted for, 12 have returned and two have been confirmed killed, according to U.S. officials. Simple math draws a scary conclusion: there are more than a dozen Americans somewhere in the Nuevo Laredo area of Mexico - dead or alive.

http://www.narconews.com/Issue35/article1156.html

There are, in fact, 97,297 actively missing persons from the United States, according to the most recently available national count (as of 2003) by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. . About 44 percent of them are adults, and 56 percent of them children.
The Lone Star State has a Texas-sized share of those missing persons, according to Susan Burroughs of the Texas Department of Public Safety?s Missing Persons Clearinghouse: 6,927 Texans were actively missing as of December 31, 2004

texaco

Greenie
Mar 29, 2005
There is a big difference between the border and the interior. Yeah I live here in northern Chihuahua. The folks here are darn nice but even they refer to the border as feo or ugly. They don't like to go there either. Lo que pierdes es mas para mi. ;)

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Texaco:
I lived and worked in Northern Mexico, 1oo miles south of the Border,? for a year and a half!
I was just fresh back, three weeks,? from 30 months in Vietnam!
My Dad got me a job with Kennecott Copper Co.
Since I was young and single, and had two years of Geological Studies, @ ASU,? I got the opportunity to do some core drilling/recording for the Co.
I lived in a pretty remote village!
All! Unpaved roads to the village and in the village/town.
The! N0! running water/sewage, type, village!
Altho, The Company did pull a Nice Trailer down there for me!
Anyhow...
The point? to all of this is...
In the year and a half, that I was down there, I was invited to all kinds of family dinners,? evenings at the local Cantina (BAR) met several ranchers/cowboys and etc.
In all of that time I never locked my car, a Jeep Wagoneer (furnished by Kenn. Copper)
and NEVER had ONE Item ever taken from me!
Even tho I would leave things in the Jeep and in the unlocked trailer!
The people tho, incredibly poor, were the best of neighbors!

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
mvSWAT said: 'Why is it that outlaws scramble to get sanctuary in Mexico and Mexicans are constantly illegally trying to cross our boarders?'

No extradition treaty with the good friends in the North. That is one thing that just amazes me.

I have crossed the border several dozen times in the past ten years. There seems to be some truth in every post, good and bad.
I'd suggest knowing the LOCAL laws and enforcement chances of before taking any equipment into Mexico. Never take a weapon, anywhere. I have found the people to be great, the criminals to be opportunists more than anything.

I was jailed once in Sonora, for four hours, for drinking in public. Very ,very nasty! I have seen jails in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, beyond horrible, un-human really. My son has seen jails or prisons, old and new, in Afghanistan, Iraq, Japan and Columbia. The last two weren't as bad as some, the first two are just plain sick.

If I had to pick a country to be jailed in, for ANY reason, and, knowing many folks involved in the system who tell me the dirty truth of what goes on, well, unless the rumors of Denmark are true, I'll stick to breaking the law here at home!

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Badger Bart!! Two Young honeys looking like that out at 4 am in a border town??? How stupid or arrogant can they get?? If you look for trouble you can find it no matter what the country.
I would not go out there at 4 am with a platoon of marines. Young people tend to believe they are bullet proof anyway by the way they drive,drink, and act in general.
The two guys who were killed a few years ago near Santa Rosalia, BCS had been in town earlier in the night drinking and hitting on the local girls, that will get your a-- kicked anywhere and dead in a lot of places in the USA not just Mexico. Common sense! You either have it or you don't. I personally know three people who have been kidnapped in the USA, Robbed and two of them killed, one survives with lots of damage and he is no longer the big mouthed braggart, showoff that he was before he was kidnapped and beaten to pulp in Las Vegas . NV. You ask for it you usually get it no matter where.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. You ask for it you usually get it no matter where.

HI:? I agree. I have explored from the Gobi, old China, the Padfic, southern and northen Mexico with no problems what-so-ever.

Attitude and actions have a? large part to do with your reception. Be an ugly American and you will have trouble anywhere.

As for guilty until proven innocent, hasn't anyone ever heard? of jailed on "SUSPICION"? of a crime? (whatever? kind of a crime? is suspicion?)

With the? new? National Home security laws you have even less rights in the US now than in Mexico, IF and WHEN they decide to use them, and they will.

Still it IS my country and? I will go to war for her again, the third time if necessary.

We expect? the people? that come to the US to abide by OUR laws and our language, why not do the same for them in their countries or just stay home.

As far as this is concerned just why do you go to another country in the first place?? Because it "is" "different otherwise just stay at home safe and secure (???) and save money.

Vehicle accidents? Just carry valid Liability insurance and unless you are blatantly drunk or under drugs and kill someone while drivng you will never spend one minute in jail, same as in the US.

Heck, I now have more time in Mexico than most Mexicans? hehehehee.? I look for lost mines and treasures and have had no problems at all.? I agree with my friend capt? Bill.

As the gentleman said "say home? and leave the treasure hunting for us"? ? snicker? ? Although the Mexicans themselves are now? getting into the act? sigh.

A

ArizonaWren

Do we need a permit to detect in Mexico?
I have been introduced to a great location in Chihuahua on private land that was once an old smelter with at least two streets with adobe dwellings on either side, all in ruins now of course.
I want to be able to detect here for relics and for whatever else may be in the area. I also want to follow the rules according to the Mexican Government.
What do I need to know and do before I start any serious detecting on this site?
Thanks for any assistance.
- Wren

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
If you do run into trouble just head for the border, it's wide open. You can bring back anything you want...Gold, sex slaves, drug's
you name it. Nobody else cares about the borders why should we!
Dano

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DANO:

You can bring back anything you want...Gold, sex slaves, drug's

A)? Shucks you have listed approx. 16 direct and allied felony charges? on both sides of the border, I hope no-one takes you seriously.? Don't forget the 1 -1/2? ~? 2 hr wait to reenter the US, oh yes, don't forget to bring your valid US Passport with you to reenter the US, newest ruling? ?-when It takes effect ??? but be saafe.

hehehehe

? ? p.s.? As to why we gringo treasure hunters would prefer that you realize just how dangerous and unproductive treasure hunting in Mexico is and stay home,? I am posting an old? photo, no new ones for obvious reasons.

These silver 8 reales are from? part of "one" mule's load out of? 9 mule loads which were buried 3 ft.? The pistol was a? S&W? 357? for comparison.? so this dates the photo, now? a no no? for many reason.? No firearms or ammo are allowed in Mexico without a special permit, and a .357 is restricted to the Mexican Air force only.
These coins are approx, 1 oz and are 1 -1/2" in diameter.

Attachments

• .jpgCache of coins in Mexico.jpg
    .jpgCache of coins in Mexico.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 481
  • .jpgCache of coins in Mexico.jpg
    .jpgCache of coins in Mexico.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 486
  • .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    .jpg8 Reales.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 495
A

ArizonaWren

LOL - I appreciate your ideas Dano; however I'm going to have to pass, I've allready spent all the sleepless nights worrying about my unwise decisions I plan on for 1 lifetime. Although I must admit that if it came down to it, and I inadvertently mess up, I will try and make a run for the border; try!

That cache of Reales must have been very exciting! :o Thanks for Sharing.
- Wren

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
LOL I just like to get people excited! But I wasn't kidding about the border crossing. The border patrol was basically told to stand down after April, it's wide open from Texas to California

DesertGhost

Apr 14, 2003
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Wren,

I have been to Mexico plenty of times over the last ten years and never had one problem. Several times my truck was searched at the regular army checkpoints and sometimes one of the English speaking army guys would notice and comment on the Minelab detectors I had with us but besides that we have been left alone. I would say you are more at risk from the odd bandits that travel the roads at night. Always take care to either camp at remote sites that are not visable from the roads or camp within the confines of a families' land or campsite that are frequented by Americans. I am sure there are bad apples in the Mex Army, but we have never run across them.

Once when I was bringing back some antique (old) looking items that we had purchased from an old Indian camp in baja I was asked for a receipt at one of the Military Checkpoints along the toll road, fortunately I did get the old man who sold me the items to write it out on a piece of paper at the time of the deal. The Mexicans seemed ok with it and we were sent on our way.

Last bit of advice, do not take pictures at the Military Checkpoints, be friendly and try to speak some of the language. Also, for some reason we always seem to camp in areas where there is active poaching, this brings us in contact with roving groups of vehicle mounted Mex Military, usually in the mornings while we are having a fireside breakfast. The officer will usually approach and ask a few questions and also inspect the camp for game. We normally take quite a few oranges with us, offering them to the guys in the truck/Humvee while the officer checks the camp.

I was just remined by my son that once while we where in Janos for a few days some angry "Local" Police approached us without any provocation, they left as quickly as they arrived and we never did find out what was going on. Quien Sabin

Best of Luck!!

Tad

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brucepfen said:
elkman13 said:
Just sat on a court case. Lawsuit between RV owner and a? man who used it to take a boat to Mexico for fishing trip. RV broke down boat came back on a flat bed truck. The boat could not go back over the border because no RV. A plea to the US and the answer "do what it takes." $1000 under the table and the boat could pass. I MUST AGREE MEXICO STINK!!!

I can't believe what I am reading. I actually joined this forum just so I could respond to this tripe. I have been going to Mexico twice a year for the last fourteen years. I have been as far south as Guatemala, and I have spent a great amount of time in "non-tourist" areas. I have NEVER had a problem with either law enforcement or the local population. Bribes and shake-downs are kind of like alligators in the sewer-Nobody's ever seen one, but everyone knows someone who has...How do the over half a million ex-patriate Americans who call Mexico home manage to survive in such a dangerous and horrific place? It's simple-I am over a hundred times more likely to be Murdered, shot, robbed or be made the victim of random violence in Los Angeles than I am in Mexico. For every horror story you hear there are hundreds of stories of selfless generosity on behalf of the local people. To those of you who are afraid to go to Mexico I say you're right! Stay home and leave the thousands of miles of beautiful beaches; great fishing and wonderful year round climate to those of us who are not afraid to move out of our parents' basements and go experience life...
You telll EM!! Brucefen!!! Stay out of Mexico, especialy Baja, its horriable annd the roads are bad. And there are people everywhere to take advantage of you! Right Brucefen????? BTW will I see you where I saw you last year? I will be there in October.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread