mica

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
hello everyone... i have a question for ya. Right behind my grandmothers property in the rocky mountains, in the national forest is a quartz rock out grouping. it has been dug out (partially), its about 30' across and about 15' deep. on one edge of the hole in the quartz i can see a vein of mica about a foot thick. my question is if i search this area enuf will i find gold? do i have to smash some of the quartz or get a metal detector? im new to this gold prospecting and any info would be greatly appreciated. i will post the pics of the quarry.

Attachments

• image-954545257.jpg
    image-954545257.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2850683561.jpg
    image-2850683561.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, I think you could take some sample pans next to it at the low spots and that would tell you if it was eroding gold, looks like a beautiful area. Keep your eyes out for sapphires and rubies if your finding mica too. Good luck.

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
thanks. im sure its mica because i can crumble it with my fingers. should i try busting any of quarts? the pic with the whit mound in the middle is brilliant white red accents. again will i have to bust some of the white open to find the rubies and sapphires?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah get hammering wear goggles! I should add, if you find something cool a drill with a carbide bit can get it out clean, also recommend 3lb sledge and 1ft flathead screwdriver. Post pics of finds.

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with MM - you can take a dozen sample pans of the particles of eroded quartz to check for gold. But if no gold, there is still a possibility of crystals,
especially if the mica occurs in large (size of palm of your hand or larger) "books". I've spent many hours hammering with 4lb sledge and chisel trying to get into
possible cavities where mica occurs with various sem-precious crystal gemstones, including smoky quartz, amazonite, topaz, beryl, etc.

If you watched the "prospectors" show about gem hunting on Mt, Antero, you know all about this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
thanks i will definetly take your advise. and i will post pics of any finds.

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
thanks for the welcome... i should be around for a while. im on my quest to find the mother lode!

OP
OP
tweeta_bear

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
also thanks for the info about the iron, i will definitely be going back to further investigate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread