✅ SOLVED military ribbon bar?

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 2012-10-09 ribbon.jpg
    2012-10-09 ribbon.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 401

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Is there still a brooch-bar attached to it that it slides onto? If so which style of fastener does it have? Will the brooch-bar slide off, and are there any markings? One complication is that with all of the multiple-national forces that have been in the middle east it may not be a U.S. ribbon if the various troops exchanged such things with foreign friends, etc
It appears to me that there is a thin blue? line between the red and white fields, am I correct? At any rate I doubt it could date back further than the Vietnam War, and I noticed Don's link is for a WWII era award. But as always, I could be wrong about any of this. There were Arab-presented medals and Argentinian medals that I noted which have this pattern with these proportions, but they could be ruled out if its US made, but I would be curious as to whether or not there are any marks on any part of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ribbon represents the "National Defense Medal"....It's given to everyone serving in the military during times of conflict

Attachments

• medal.jpg
    medal.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,653
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
True they will bleed some, it's just when I zoomed in on the ribbon, it actually looked like there was no white on it. In hand maybe it can be seen. Even my worst NDSM ribbon I have, you can still see the white. Was thinking maybe it was National Guard ribbon or something. Unless the OP is saying that the middle stripe on the ribbon is white versus yellow. Again zoomed in I am not able to make out where the white stripe on either side of the blue stripe would be.

Also the middle stripe in my opinion is too wide for the NDSM.

2012-10-0920ribbon_zpsb6f9dcec.jpg

afg-050214-040_zpsb3b46739.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a dumb question, but are we sure that this is an American ribbon? I looked for this on line and could not find a match from any service branch.

Upvote 0

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ffuries......I agree, I don't see white in his pic either but, if the red bled over the white, and the yellow over the red AND white, that would explain the yellow being that wide and the white disappearing. I'm still stuck on the NDM but I admit I could be wrong although that's a rare occasion indeed. :).

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked all over and am starting to think it can't be an American Military ribbon, the closest I've found are a Coast Guard service medal (no black stripes) the Army DSM (not quite right) and a Canadian Service medal (no black stripes)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions