Mine shaft near Bouse, AZ

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While rockhounding near Bouse, AZ, PeteyGirl and I found a mine shaft that was not filled or fenced.
DSCN0181.JPG

It could be a gold mine but more likely copper as there is a lot of chrysacola and malachite in the dump material.
DSCN0182.JPG

We also found botroiydal hematite nearby. TTC

Last edited:
Nice photo, thank you for sharing....:icon_thumleft:

Boy those timbers sure do preserve well in that hot dry desert environment. I wonder how long ago they sunk that shaft? Yeah I would say copper was the stuff they were mining, but silver would also most likely be something they were recovering along with a little gold to I'm thinking?.

Sad that is was neither marked nor fenced. Was there any evidence of it having been fenced in the past?

Before the stroke, among other gear my wife thought was useless, were several t-posts and a roll of barbed wire. I managed to fence a few shafts and adits every year.

Time for more coffee.

Sad that is was neither marked nor fenced. Was there any evidence of it having been fenced in the past?

Before the stroke, among other gear my wife thought was useless, were several t-posts and a roll of barbed wire. I managed to fence a few shafts and adits every year.

Time for more coffee.
I understand the reasons why these mine shafts are fenced on BLM land. That being said, it is a shame MORE acreage is often kept from the public than necessary here in the west. Mixed emotions on this issue. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back