Minelab Safari Vs Minelab E-trac Vs Soverign GT

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comparing the Safari and E-trac together on Kellyco's website, it seems they dont have much difference. Just the E-trac has a few more oprions. Do these machines have the same depth/processor? Or are they 2 completly different machines? I am upgrading from a ACE 250, and hunt land and beach. I love hunting the beach, and think I hunt beaches more then land here in PA. But When im bored, I still like to take a detector out and hunt fields/parks. Which is why I am even considering the SOV. GT as my main machine. I just dont think the SOV is as good as a land detector as the safari or etrac. Or am I wrong? What about the safari and etrac on the beach? I know the SOV is one of the best at the beach.

Thanks

The Sov GT is an excellent land detector and a beach machine. It is a lot easier to learn than either of the two higher priced Minelabs. The Safari & E-Trac are about the same in capablilties, the screens are different and so are the decals. Course each also works a little differently, and are more expensive to get fixed. You can hip mount the GT unlike the other two which start weighing a ton by the end of the day.

Take Care,
Sandman

Attachments

• Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,525
  • Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,527
The Sovereign is a easy detector to learn........... The safari is like the Quattro and i had a quattro and it was easy to learn and use also...... Both very good detectors........ on the Etrac i don't know never used one...

Saltfisher,

I think you stating that you are going to hunt the beach more than land, that the Sov GT is the machine to get. I mostly beach hunt, and I have several water proof units, as well as CZ's, and an E-Trac. The E-Trac is a great beach unit...BUT...it is costly, and the salt air and water can ruin it. Since it has a screen, and the way it is designed, it is much harder to bag/seal than the Sov GT would be for beach hunting.

The Sov GT's shaft design has the control box up higher on the shaft, so when you are on the wet sand and suds, there is less chance a big splash will hit it. Plus, since it does not have a screen, and a few knobs to set and forget, bagging it and going on your way is much easier. You will be digging everything that makes a sound, so visual target ID is not very important.

Stating that, I would say the E-Trac is a better land machine just because of the options and the 2 number Ferrous/Conductive ID system. You can definitely get a better idea of the target at depths to 9-10 inches with fairly good accuracy, which makes it much easier to determine dig/no dig and to pin point the target...much more important on land sites such as parks where you don't want to be digging massive holes. Beach digging is easy, and filling the holes is just as easy.

All in all, I would say for what you want to do, get the Sov GT. With a smaller 8 inch coil, you can land hunt and do very well with it.

My 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back