Minelab - Worth the Money???

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR
Check out the reviews on the Minelab Musketeer Advantage, I have one and it is my favorite detector so far, not too pricey either, for the performance you get, in my opinion nothing at any price can touch it,
Eddy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good quality costs a little more. I have found them to be very deep and accurate detectors. The service is excellent if you ever need any too.

The only thing you never recover is the time you've wasted swinging a lesser machine.

HH,
Sandman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never regretted Spending the money on a Minelab
or the Accessories for it.

And I almost Hate spending money.

Yes I'm a "Tight-Wad" ;D

John S

Dec 5, 2005
I just got a expl.2 never used ,3 mo.old for 725.00 . It is not much difference in the se and the expl.2. You may try to find a good used one.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have a garrett 2500 and an explorer se, and even though i have only been out a few times with the se, its pretty obvious that it smokes the 2500 in depth. the 2500s target id is easier to understand, and the size feature is very cool, but as far as depth performance its the minelab hands down. i dont regret spending the money at all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else you might also consider is the Minelab's seem to hold there resale value over the years. Check Ebay and see what a used Excal, or Exployer goes for that is 3-5 years old.

I lucked out and got my Excal 1000 used for $850 off of Ebay, it was 11 months old, it came with the 2 year extended warranty ($100 extra value) that seller agreed to allow me to use plus the 1 year still on original warranty (he lives close to my brother) and agreed to allow me to use warranty if I deliver it to him or pay for shipping) since you can't transfer Minelab's warranty), as well as the waist pouch, carrying bag, a AA battery pod ($50 value) and the pinpointer.

The Excal works great, $300 less then a new one, not counting the taxes ($78) that I would have had to also pay plus the cost of the extended warranty $100, and AA battery pod $50, I figure I saved at least $525 to $550 on it. That is enough saved on it to almost pay for a new Minelab Sovereign Elite. ;D

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Treasure hunter i just bought a brand new Excalibur 1000 with extended warranty,delivered to my door under 1100.00.brand new from Kellyco,this is my third detector from them within 2 months.Wanda at Kellyco has been very Knowledgeable an has taken alot of time to explain these detectors to me.Ronald 99

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron, I live in Orlando, been in Kellyco many times for different things. I bought my Whites Beach Hunter iD from them as well as pouches, first scoop, and most importantly, I bought 2 shoulder harnesses there, one to replace the one I accidently left at the outdoor shower at Daytona. (@$#^%$%&^^%#) I have to have the harness to hunt, it makes the detectors so much lighter and easier to hunt with, both land and in the water.

$1050-1095 is what they usually deal the Excal out the door. At times Minelab includes the extended warranty, but it is not always available, and there is still the taxes.

Congrats on the Excal, enjoy it, I love mine.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I own a Minelab and a Garrett, and like them both.

But, in the time spent with the more complex settings and adjustments required for the Minelab, I've already got quite a few coins in my Garrett pouch.

If you're a "tweaker", get a ML; for simplicity a Garrett ;D

Dick

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks Dick. Question... about tweaking on the Minelab, exactly how tough is it to learn? By the way, I had a Garrett back in the 80's and found it discouraging (all the knobs and adjustments). They must have really improved the usability.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Buy what you can afford . If you can afford the Minelabs then they are the ones to get . If you nee dhelp in your purchase let me know. I am a Minelab and Garrett dealer. :)

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Tony,

Thanks. Will do. I am curious. Can the Minelab gold hunter (for prospecting) do well on beach/surf?

Mark

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The Eureka gold is becoming a pretty good beach hunter. It has switchable frequency so you can set it up to hunt there. Not the best beach hunter but a decent overall detector. Let me know if I can help you with your purchase. :)

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Treasure H. "I understand what your saying,im over here in alabama an have been tax free.sorry about that.Had i been buying my stuff there in orlando an living there i would have also been looking for better deal's.By the way what type of shoulder harness did you by.wonder if its the same one for around 25 dollars if not please let me know,i have problems with my neck an right arm, thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron,

I got the "S" model, it works really good for me. Takes all the weight off, I just have to aim it more or less. Here is a link for it. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/lejermonharnesses.htm

Left my first one at an outdoor shower when I washing off my excal. I thought "it can't make that much difference can it?" so I hunted the beach one time with out it. I went and bought a new one the next day.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best Turn-On-And-Go Detectors out there is the Minelab Quattro. Not the best for the beach, though. One of the things that give Minelabs an edge, is that they are developed in Australia, which has some of trhe worst ground mineralization in the world. If they can do well there, they will work well most anywhere.

I have a Excalibur, an SD2000 heavily modded, and right now, I'm trying out a friend's Eric Foster Aquasearch. Eric Foster is pretty much the King of Pulse Induction Machines. My next one may be a Foster Detector. I don't know just how much money you are looking to fork out, but there is a new Pulse machine being brought out any time now (five years in the making), called the Pulse Devil. Supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. A P.I. detector with good discrimination, waterproof to about 15 meters, and weighing in at a svelte $2400 (Australian Dollars). It is built to beat out the Minelab GPX4000 (at about $4000 US).

Hope I didn't spin your head any worse than it was.

best,

Mike

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I think so...

First year with a Minelab detector I found 360 silver coins and many Seated coins!! Use what you can afford and feel comfortable but hands down the best detector, but thats just MY opinion!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread