Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2013
Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Personally, I would go for the Gold Bug Pro for just a tad more cost. It
is a dedicated gold machine, and it's been proven over and over to be
damn good at finding the sub-gram gold.

The GB Pro can also be a decent coin and relic machine.

JMHO, of course, and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Personally, I would go for the Gold Bug Pro for just a tad more cost. It
is a dedicated gold machine, and it's been proven over and over to be
damn good at finding the sub-gram gold.

The GB Pro can also be a decent coin and relic machine.

JMHO, of course, and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

I'll co-sign that, currently the GB-Pro is the best VLF gold machine for most people.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The New Gold Bug, the slightly less sensitive version of the Gold Bug Pro, is $499. It's about $150 less than the pro. I don't think you'd be happy with the 505, I've heard from people on this site that even the 705 really isn't that great for gold.

Last edited:

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The New Gold Bug, the slightly less sensitive version of the Gold Bug Pro, is $499. It's about $150 less than the pro. I don't think you'd be happy with the 505, I've heard from people on this site that even the 705 really isn't that great for gold.

I have the gb pro and I like it a lot so far. I'm trying to get my buddy into detecting but he doesn't have a great income and I told him I'd pay for half of it, are you saying the gold bug is almost up to par with the pro??

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Realizing the need for a "loaner" machine for family and friends I picked up one of the "new" Gold Bugs, rugged simplicity and cost effective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sammytheseal

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2013
Thanks guys. I'm confused now. Want a good detector for gold but cheap and work my way up to a good one. Thanks guys.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't run out and buy anything yet, most of the "all-stars" of this forum haven't commented so far on this thread. Give it 2 or 3 more days.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sammytheseal, interesting handle!

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I purchased a brand new Original gold bug, never managed to put the coil over gold. Purchased the White's GMT and after a learning period I found gold with it. Wish I'd purchased the GMT in the first place would have saved frustration, time and money and I think that is where you are currently at. Purchase a top notch gold machine, whatever brand, learn the dickens out of it and eventually you will find gold with it as long as it is there to be found. I would not mess around with a substandard machine regardless of the price as the actual price you will pay is really in lost time!...............................63bkpkr

OP
OP
S

sammytheseal

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2013
Great news. A mate has agreed to loan me his minelab gpx 5000 and I've got on to a pro here that is willing to take me out and give me the run down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions