Mini blower / non-mailbox type thing - design?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cant use a mailbox on my props, so wondered if I could get any sort of pump to move sand?

I thought of a small on board generator, a sump pump lowered over the side, and use the propulsion of the pumped water thru a hose to direct the flow and move sand?

the pump I have in mind is 1 1/2 inch diam.
need to get down about 10-20ft?

don't need top move 100's of tons, just top layer in localized areas.

any thought appreciated!!

cheers

Get a 2 inch trash pump and shoot the water past an opening in a 3 inch pipe and the suction will move as much sand as you want. If you are using a 1.5 inch pump just drop the outflow pipe to 2 inches.

Leave the pump in the boat and the water shooting hose take down to the seabed, attach it just behind the opening for the bigger pipe and blow the water away from your site in the bigger hose and it will suck the sand with it. Just try to hover the sucktion opening slightly above the sand. Call me if this is too much info for your tiny SF brain. dde0a

Or just jet the water into the sand and hopefully the sand will settle away from your hole but you will get a heck of a sand shower. A sump pump will clog up. You either need to suck or blow sand, you can really send it through anything like a sump pump unless it's a huge one. Use the water power to send sand along a pipe after it or blast a hole in the seabed with it. A garden hose will make a decent sized hole if you can send water through it at a reasonable Psi.

A pressure washer will also do a great job if you have 20 ft of house. Make sure it's gas powered ( petrol to you)

Last edited:
so use the trash pump in a venturi type set-up? yes?

I had thought of a sump pump, tied to the boat just below the water line ( so sucking just water, no sand) and use the water to blast the sand - I had thought of a sand shower but assume it would clear quickly?

(I can see YOU had a Maccano kit as a kid!)

chhers

, yes Venturi works great underwater if you can get water flowing well and at speed. Which a sump pump might not give you. Only a sand shower if you are in the hole with the jet method, if you are smart and can be up current no issue

Last edited:
here is the ideal venturi. Venturi.jpg

Next question - using the "sand suck / venture" system, where does the sand go? I assume you have enough hose to shoot it far enough away so it does cloud your viz?
however, will it suck up small coins etc ?

thanks

You need to send the sand to a place you trust, ie through a filter box and check it frequently. The holes need to let sand through but nothing of value a bit like a screens for land rover windscreens in NI if you know the ones I mean Or be where the out fall is and check it as it flows

if you jet a hole only sand will fly as long as the power isn't bonkers Venturi will defo suck small coins and nearly everything else

Last edited:
You need to send the sand to a place you trust, ie through a filter box and check it frequently. The holes need to let sand through but nothing of value a bit like a screens for land rover windscreens in NI if you know the ones I mean Or be where the out fall is and check it as it flows

if you jet a hole only sand will fly as long as the power isn't bonkers defo will suck small coins and nearly everything else

I know the Snatch Rover set-up, but think sending the sand off to be filtered is a no-go - I need OPSEC and discretion.

Think I will have to go for a simple water / thrust / blow sand away system?

cheers

I think that is a great idea, it will take longer but you have 100% control of the hole especially if you do a bit, look a bit.

Also with your situation you need to find a way of hiding the hose going into the water, maybe behind a ladder or something also a cloud of sand is a giveaway so that needs to be kept to a minimum,

I also bet there is no current knowing your luck to take the cloud away too.

Last edited:
Lets race :thumbsup:

A dual then.........Boats or sandwich eating at dawn......you chose

:thumbsup:

If you are just dusting the surface why not use an underwater scooter?

If you are just dusting the surface why not use an underwater scooter?

I thought of that, but I have most of the gear for a 'pump system" (and would have to buy a scooter) and was told that you need to secure yourself so you don't get swept away?

any thoughts?

thanks

I thought of that, but I have most of the gear for a 'pump system" (and would have to buy a scooter) and was told that you need to secure yourself so you don't get swept away?

any thoughts?

thanks

Yes, I use a small anchor to keep myself in place.

Unless there's a cannon to hold on to, oh shi....I should have said sewer pipe.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back