Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A short phrase every five days after a short-circuit post , make me think something is not Ok . But whatever happens , i hope Don Jose to be able soon to come back in a good shape and mood .

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
Now I recall.......though I mentioned shipwreck, you only mentioned salvage, not a shipwreck. And when you mentioned Guaymas and 300 feet, I remember well what I read several years ago regarding a French vessel that was scuttled, not wrecked (to the north,out of Guaymas) instead of being captured. And for that story, I credit you:notworthy: From my research at the time (yes, I was very interested in the story), I know the French occupied Guaymas from March 29,1865 to September 13, 1866; during which time that vessel was scuttled.But I never learned the vessel's name nor did I hear of any other attempts to find her. Is there any update to that story that I may have missed in the last six or seven years?
Don.....

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenas dias. It all started with a discharge of lightening in a clear sky' naturally it fried my nice computer, by a coincidence i went through a series of headaches, none prefrontal.. i tried to use an old fthat I had- no dice, it took me approximately a hr per .line, I found that the dove had scattered it's seeds, most of which ended up in the keyboard ,a cleaning job got a new transformer, but it still does't turn on, nor do any of the fans, hints ?
tYou are correct Mac, the capitan went out to tje 300f and scutled her there afe taking cross bearings which he kept hidden, will in the defucnt computer afer I get it running again.

Incidentaly the bottom is very smooth out there, you could spot a basket ball there. (recording fathometer)t

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Buenas dias. It all started with a discharge of lightening in a clear sky' naturally it fried my nice computer, by a coincidence i went through a series of headaches, none prefrontal.. i tried to use an old fthat I had- no dice, it took me approximately a hr per .line, I found that the dove had scattered it's seeds, most of which ended up in the keyboard ,a cleaning job got a new transformer, but it still does't turn on, nor do any of the fans, hints ?

If you can take it to a Desk top and use an extra SATA Data cable you may be able to copy the hard drive from the Laptop after removing it. Install it as a slave in the Desktop.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you can take it to a Desk top and use an extra SATA Data cable you may be able to copy the hard drive from the Laptop after removing it. Install it as a slave in the Desktop.
Or - a sata/usb-adapter where any sata disk can be connected to another computer as a usb-disk

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or - a sata/usb-adapter where any sata disk can be connected to another computer as a usb-disk

Do you power up the damaged computer, or does the USB power it??????
And what does the SATA cord look like???

I have boxes full of connections and cords that I save for just this type of operation, I might just have one, or fifteen.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,

Years ago, about the same time you mentioned the scuttling of the ship north of Guaymas, you were also having a conversational and civil joust with Chuck Meide (LAMP) regarding the divergent viewpoints between archs and TH-ers; though you both seemed to find common ground after many back and forth comments. One of your comments (as they all do) piqued my interest. You mentioned you had knowledge of wrecked Manila galleon. Did you ever pursue that knowledge?
Don......

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi Mac, the wrecked Manilla galleon is under some 17 ft of sud now, in the bay of
banderas' Too deep for my limited finances.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
/
as far s the desk top goes, nothing powers u, not even the fanata cord look like Every tome I go to the states I fill up on cords,key boards etc, jot-in-ll does a SATA cord look like ? Nothing powers up on the compuer, including the fans, new power supply.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
transfffffomer powers up, new. that is it is supposed to power up by the transformer, but nothing powers up, not even the fans

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK you removed the hard drive from the dead Laptop. Usally with 2 screws or worst case pulling the back plate and then 2 screws so you can unplug the hard drive. Take the laptop hard drive and look at the connectors. On will be larger which is the power connecter. The small one is the data cable. Data cable is usally (not always) a right angle plug with 4 connections. The Power cable is bigger. Both are actually keyed. Small downward slot on one end. If it doesn't plug on easy, flip it other and try again. Do not use force to plug it in. When correct, it will slide on easy .
0339678_734103.jpg

Color doesn't matter I have seen them blue, black and red.
The power Sata cable is usally part of the power supply cabeling.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
Assuming the galleon is in the bay around PV, it's main cargo of spices and silks would be worthless today; environmentally damaged.
Yes, there would still be some pesos left, but most likely not worth the time, expense and effort to salvage.
Now, if the vessel were 'outbound' and in Acapulco Bay, that would be different.
Don.......

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the connector is of the wide ribbon style;AU

welcome back tintin.
If it is a wide-ribbon, then it's an old IDE-disk (nothing wrong in that). A sata/ide/usb adapter will accommodate both IDE (3.5"), laptop-IDE (2.5") and sata (3.5" or 2.5") and will still look like an external usb-disk - it's a no-brainer and the adapter is about $15!

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK any Idea who made the PC/mother board? You can try and remove the memory and install one or 2 at a time and see if it comes up. There also maybe a coin type battery, normally a CR2035. If it died, you can try and replace it and then to a reset on the Bios and see if it comes to life. You can try unplugging both the wide cable and the power connector and see if it comes up. If not the drive is most likely good and can be read on another desk top that had the old IDE cable on the other board. All is not lost just hiding from you. You say you did another power supply? Best guess is that it has a 20 pin connector on the motherboard, because of the IDE connection. Once we know who made the mother board I can most likely find a manual for it and see what we can do. Now on the new power supply there is a slide switch for 115 or 230 VAC. Make sure you have it set correctly on the new power supply. Do you use an internal modem to a phone line? If so the mother board may be gone. Lightening not only hits the AC but also ground. If it was on a surge protector, the protector is most likely toast. Any or data you can provide will help a lot.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If it is a wide-ribbon, then it's an old IDE-disk (nothing wrong in that). A sata/ide/usb adapter will accommodate both IDE (3.5"), laptop-IDE (2.5") and sata (3.5" or 2.5") and will still look like an external usb-disk - it's a no-brainer and the adapter is about $15!

Any idea where he can order one from?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions