Missing Buffalo Police Diver in the Niagara River

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
We have a member of the Buffalo Police Force Diving Team missing in the Niagara River since Friday. They were on a dive training mission when a tether line broke and the diver was never seen again. As of now Sunday 10 AM EDT they have failed to find him. Every emergency company in WNY and Canada along with Helicopters from all over the great lakes area are looking from morning to night. The water depth is 30 feet and visibility is 10 feet. The current in the river is 18 knots and the water temperature is 68 degrees. May god bless the family.
I was wondering if anyone here ever dove the NIAGARA River or another river with a strong current. I was also wondering if you are on a line would the current force the mask up thus causing an issue? He is in this 30's Just wondering what could have happened.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The current below the falls could pin some one against a boulder.(?). From what I can recall of looking from shore.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is truly sad news. Prayers for all affected by this tragic event. Diving in ANY conditions can be dangerous. I am always thinking of our own T-net treasure hunters who dive for treasure. Even hunting in the woods can be dangerous with open or covered wells being a risk. Stay safe out there.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most dangerous hazards are the fallen trees. You get stuck and held in those. Mentioned before is the rocks.

"We are going north with our search toward the International Railway Bridge, and even north of that," Lt. Jeff Rinaldo said Sunday morning. "The good thing for us is that the further north we get from this point the calmer the water gets, the current slows down and the debris field pulls away."

Pretty wide here...on some images, the Peace bridge is shown, they are between the Intl Railroad Bridge and the Peace bridges, off of Broderick Park, so they are downstream pretty far from the Falls....

my bet is on logs and trees, those are very dangerous.

DML-fx8V4AAV_Gg-1260x800.jpg

Last edited:

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Body Of Missing Buffalo Police Diver Has Been Found - WYRK.com
wyrk.com/body-of-missing-buffalo-police-diver-has-been-found/

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is strange that with all of the articles, there has been no mention of cause of death.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions