MISSOURI HUNTIN. OPINIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED. MANY FINDS BY OLD SCHOOL & STEPS.

kgctreasurechaser

Jun 26, 2010
Benton County, Missouri (property sits on Civil w
Detector(s) used
Cheap `Ol Bounty Hunters. LOL! Someone Tell me a good one to buy!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MISSOURI HUNTIN. OPINIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED. MANY FINDS BY OLD SCHOOL & STEPS.

I would like to start off by thanking all the people who posted on these forums with pics and vids through the winter to get me through it without being able to dig myself. I am 1. returning the favor, and 2. posting to show my first dig of the season at what (I believe) is my honey hole. it is a few miles from jesse james` home in missouri and includes many great places. old school foundation, many old steps in the middle of nowhere, "weird rock outcroppings", old cisterns, old hand cut fence posts, multiple natural springs and much more. I have also included some pics just for those who appreciate the "situation" of being outdoors and digging up history (I know how much i appreciated seeing dirt on things as they were being dug up over the winter so i tried to return the favor, although many times my excitement got the best of me and i forgot to take pics. lol). many thing however do intrigue me about this property and any opinions would be appreciated. like why are there multiple cement steps in different locations in the middle of nowhere with no foundations around them? what the heck is the huge cast iron decorative piece in the picture? i have found multiple pieces like this, all broken. Some of you may know me from last year when i found a speculum on my first dig ever in this area....yes, a speculum. also pictured (just to name some) is an old Hubley cast iron gun, old hubley car, an old eyeglass case that had the lipstick inside it, pocket knife, 2 old missouri tax tokens, and an old hoe head (i believe thats what it is anyway). here`s a question though with any opinions appreciated. with finding everything from a speculum and old eyeglass case with lipstick, toys, to old farm equipment where it is too rocky to farm would these be considered "normal" finds for an area like this? am I wasting my time or may i be onto something? I understand no one knows whats under the ground until you dig it up. these just seem like very weird and a very broad range of finds for an area like this. I`m having trouble uploading images so i will upload more later**

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 852
  • steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 842
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 831
  • school.jpg
    school.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 869
  • pistol.jpg
    pistol.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 800
  • farm equipment.jpg
    farm equipment.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 797
  • cistern1.jpg
    cistern1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 820
  • knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 823
  • cistern.jpg
    cistern.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 825
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: MISSOURI HUNTIN. OPINIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED. MANY FINDS BY OLD SCHOOL & STEPS.

Looks like lots of 19th & early 20th century pieces, not all buildings had foundations.
I'd keep hunting the area, site appears to show lots of activity during the period when silver & gold coins were currency of choice ;D Best Digs :thumbsup:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MISSOURI HUNTIN. OPINIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED. MANY FINDS BY OLD SCHOOL & STEPS.

looks like a great spot, can we see a close up of the pistol?

Also some of the buildings may have been on brick piers, if someone robbed out the brick later that would explain the steps to nowhere. There are a lot of those down here.

OP
OP
K

kgctreasurechaser

Jun 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOLA_Ken said:

Also some of the buildings may have been on brick piers, if someone robbed out the brick later that would explain the steps to nowhere. There are a lot of those down here.

picture is posted. thanks for looking.

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010

No one likes a quitter:)

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

??? Wasting your time?? Gracious no, looks and sounds like a very intersting old homestead. Maybe even the old home of a mid-wife. Courthouse records search might yield some information too. Are the steps leading up or did they lead down to a cellar? And by all means look for where the outhouse might have been. Then somewhere near they should have had a dump for their trash. A barn too. I'd be digging that place up like a John Deere plowing a furrow. You're so lucky!

traverdog

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Henderson, Nv
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Beach Surfer

Keep hunting that plot. There's more there.

bgriffin

Jan 2, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350

That looks like a great site, thanks for the pics.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Definitely keep hunting there! You will likely discover a small hotspot where children played or they sat outside that will yield some other worthy targets. Where in MO are you at? I am near Jackson and Cape Girardeau.

Baldingboy

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Welcome to the treasurenet forum ! :hello:
H

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

i know where he is at and he probably knows some of my friends down that way and i am in the town of his last home sight in nw missouri dont worry i wont tell you might know the tacketts they are horse people and rf peterson he is a gig civil war buff and a mder

momule55

Nov 9, 2006
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's The Great One's!!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well, I don't think you are wasting your time on any of the sites you have there. Just because you have not found many coins there, so what? Digging history is what it is all about!!! Believe me, after 40 years in the hobby, I have learned that any day digging, no matter what you find, is better than working!!!. I hunt places out in the middle of nowhere and have found lots of great items, they may not be worth anything, but heh, it's all about who really touched that item last and the lost stories about that item. Just like the sturrip I just found a week ago, in the middle of a hay field, where in 1862 the Union army camped on that site, I would of liked to see the saddle it was on and wonder who rode on it. I hunt places that people have hunted before that other hunters have just looking for coins and have found some great relics, just because they hunted it for say a hour and thought there were no coins there and gave up on the site. Hang in there and ask yourself, do I just want the "Dirty Money" or do I want to recover history That is just rotting away in the ground..........

Attachments

• Sturip 001.jpg
    Sturip 001.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 599
  • Sturrip Cleaned 001.jpg
    Sturrip Cleaned 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 609
  • Sturip 001.jpg
    Sturip 001.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 603
  • Sturrip Cleaned 001.jpg
    Sturrip Cleaned 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 604

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good digs,I like digging them old toy guns. :thumbsup:

dirt-n-spector

May 11, 2009
Pontoon Beach Il
Detector(s) used
Tersoro Cortes

Awesome place to hunt!!!!!!! I think you have a great place!!!! I would keep after it as much as possible. Thanks for the pictures and keep them coming. :hello2:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It may be an older homestead and the concrete steps was added later I would slow my speed down try to locate an area that seems to be a depression in the ground as this may very well be the trash pit for that era. Search from the back steps to the well. Search about a area 100 feet out from the house all the way around. Search around all trees and any rock walls that may be in the area. Good luck, God blesss and HH :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
K

kgctreasurechaser

Jun 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOLA_Ken said:

thanks for that info. thats the type of info I was looking for.

OP
OP
K

kgctreasurechaser

Jun 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

momule55 said:
Well, I don't think you are wasting your time on any of the sites you have there. Just because you have not found many coins there, so what? Digging history is what it is all about!!! Believe me, after 40 years in the hobby, I have learned that any day digging, no matter what you find, is better than working!!!. I hunt places out in the middle of nowhere and have found lots of great items, they may not be worth anything, but heh, it's all about who really touched that item last and the lost stories about that item. Just like the sturrip I just found a week ago, in the middle of a hay field, where in 1862 the Union army camped on that site, I would of liked to see the saddle it was on and wonder who rode on it. I hunt places that people have hunted before that other hunters have just looking for coins and have found some great relics, just because they hunted it for say a hour and thought there were no coins there and gave up on the site. Hang in there and ask yourself, do I just want the "Dirty Money" or do I want to recover history That is just rotting away in the ground..........

Thank you for the words of wisdom. Much appreciated. I agree with you 100%.

OP
OP
K

kgctreasurechaser

Jun 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

freddy williams said:
It may be an older homestead and the concrete steps was added later I would slow my speed down try to locate an area that seems to be a depression in the ground as this may very well be the trash pit for that era. Search from the back steps to the well. Search about a area 100 feet out from the house all the way around. Search around all trees and any rock walls that may be in the area. Good luck, God blesss and HH :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the tips. much appreciated. like i said, I`m new at this. still learning. All info helps.

OP
OP
K

kgctreasurechaser

Jun 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Baldingboy said:
Definitely keep hunting there! You will likely discover a small hotspot where children played or they sat outside that will yield some other worthy targets. Where in MO are you at? I am near Jackson and Cape Girardeau.

Baldingboy

I`m up more NW by Cass Co. Maybe we can hookup sometime and do some diggin together. I`ve got access to a lot of untouched land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread