What's new

MLK Day Weekend Gold and Silver: 2 Gold Rings and 2 Silver Coins.......

Ant

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2006
Messages
3,404
Reaction score
554
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I got 2 gold rings, 1 10k ring with a blue stone setting and 1 14k. The stone is flawless and is set in 10k gold, that tells me that it’s either synthetic or some other kind of man made stone, but I like it anyway.

I also got two silver coins, 1 57 Roosevelt dime and a 44 big P war nickel. This spot is getting harder to work as time goes by, not to mention the weeds are coming up faster and faster.

I also found four Hartford Fire Insurance rings circ 1950’s. I found 3 in the same area, not 2 feet apart. I saw many great hunters in this order, CAL HUNTER, Doug, Kenny, Dana Point Val, Ray from California, Jim, Fooleo and Dan (the Cap-en). I saw another hunter but I never got a chance to say hello or share finds. I latter found out that was Dana Point Mike AKA on T-Net oknorm, I’ll meet him next time. I saw most of them on Monday. Everyone got more than a few wheat’s, if not silver. The Cap-en had one of the stringiest wheats I ever seen, a great find indeed. Hopefully he'll post it in his next topic.

I have 16 photos I hope you guys like:
 

Attachments

  • MLK Weekend Finds 1 Site.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 1 Site.webp
    64 KB · Views: 1,072
  • MLK Weekend Finds 12.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 12.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 997
  • MLK Weekend Finds 11.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 11.webp
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,012
  • MLK Weekend Finds 10.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 10.webp
    82.4 KB · Views: 998
  • MLK Weekend Finds 9.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 9.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 996
  • MLK Weekend Finds 8.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 8.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 997
  • MLK Weekend Finds 7.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 7.webp
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • MLK Weekend Finds 6.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 6.webp
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • MLK Weekend Finds 5.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 5.webp
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,020
  • MLK Weekend Finds 4.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 4.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • MLK Weekend Finds 3.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 3.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,024
  • MLK Weekend Finds 2.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 2.webp
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,026
Upvote 0
The last two photos:
 

Attachments

  • Double Final 2.webp
    Double Final 2.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 987
  • Double Final.webp
    Double Final.webp
    56.2 KB · Views: 988
  • MLK Weekend Finds 14.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 14.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,259
  • MLK Weekend Finds 13 HFI Ring.webp
    MLK Weekend Finds 13 HFI Ring.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 975
Excellent finds and pics. Looks like you found one hot spot! Congrats!
 
sweet !congrats
 
Those are some great finds Ant! :) Congratz on the rings! And great pics too, as always :)

HH!
TBGO
 
Great finds Ant. Why do you think so much is coming from that area?
SND
 
nice finds there Ant.... the first photo? is that house foundations there..sure looks like a lot of em ..just curious... thanks in advance..

booty
 
Sweet finds there. I always like finding rings and my kids love looking at my growing little pile of treasure, I think I have them hooked and come spring I will get them their very own detector so we can all go out together. ;D
 
Anthony,

It was great to finally meet you on Mon. Man, that place is loaded with 60's-70's memorials. :'( Thanks for showing me your gold rings back at the car. That place is your domain, and it shows. Great job, and continued success there. After the rains we're expecting, that place might end up being a mud lake.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
ant,

great job on the gold and the silver. i only got about ten wheats...

i used to hunt that place three years ago when all of the houses were still up. it seemed easier to hunt then because you knew EXACTLY where all of the backyards and sideyards etc were. we found a lot of stuff back then... glad you're still getting it.
 
Great looking finds and pics Ant, Congrats on such a successful weekend.
Glenn
 
Good job, Ant, and great pictures.
Bob
 
I need a little help on this one. I have never collected nickels so I don't know much about them. I know the war nickels were made differently. The one you found seems to be coated/plated and a little has come loose. So can someone tell me how the war nickels were made and what they were made of?

Thanks,

Daryl
 
Thanks everyone and a special thanks to the Cap-en and oknorm.


SoreKneeDayton said:
Great finds Ant. Why do you think so much is coming from that area?
SND
Thanks SorKneeDayton,
The reason is because over 70 years this area housed young transient families that moved every 3 years or so.
bootybay said:
nice finds there Ant.... the first photo? is that house foundations there..sure looks like a lot of em ..just curious... thanks in advance..

booty
Thanks bootybay,
Yes those are indeed foundations that held flatop duplex type homes.
BioProfessor said:
I need a little help on this one. I have never collected nickels so I don't know much about them. I know the war nickels were made differently. The one you found seems to be coated/plated and a little has come loose. So can someone tell me how the war nickels were made and what they were made of?

Thanks,
Daryl

Hi Daryl,
The manufacture date for the wartime composition plainchants is from 1942-1945, and all have the big P on the reverse for Philadelphia. The metal content is 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese.
I suspect from the looks of the nickel in question that it has been in the ground for at least 55 years. And being in the ground that long can cause the copper to leach out of copper alloyed coins. I know you would have known that if you knew the war nickel only had 35% silver. I suspect that the copper either oxidizes or starts turning into verdigris from inside and works its way out by pushing out the outer layer. That’s what I think we are seeing. If you look closely at the last coin photo you’ll notice that when I rubbed it in-between my fingers the spot started to shine. You can also notice that the coin is not really peeling. It’s more like an eruption.

HH and Gold and Silver Luck to all of you.
 
Hi Ant,

You're right. I would have known that but nickels have never been my thing. I thought it looked like an eruption as well but it seemed to "break" through some sort of "skin" on the surface. It looks like I can see a thin metal layer being pushed up. It looks like the newer pennies I find on the beach that only have a copper coating and the inside is zinc and other stuff (I think). These typically have a serious eruption and you can see the copper layer "pop" open and it has the same kind of look on the nickel unless the angle just makes it look this way. If it is erupting, is there a layer on the nickel that it would break through?

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • Eruption.webp
    Eruption.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 664
Ant,
Congrats on the two gold rinds Big Guy. That blue stone one is a beauty!
Sounds like you guys have some stiff competition in your area.
You did very well.
Congrats,
MM
 
BioProfessor said:
Hi Ant,

You're right. I would have known that but nickels have never been my thing. I thought it looked like an eruption as well but it seemed to "break" through some sort of "skin" on the surface. It looks like I can see a thin metal layer being pushed up. It looks like the newer pennies I find on the beach that only have a copper coating and the inside is zinc and other stuff (I think). These typically have a serious eruption and you can see the copper layer "pop" open and it has the same kind of look on the nickel unless the angle just makes it look this way. If it is erupting, is there a layer on the nickel that it would break through?

Daryl

No skin per say Daryl, but it sure seems like it, but it isn’t. Some of the War nickels that I have found have a black asphalt type of curst adhered to them. At times this asphalt type adhesive is only on one side or in blotches, other who found them can attest to that too. I think it's the soil that has been affected by the leaching of most likely a combination of the three metals combined that makes this asphalt type stuff.

ModernMiner said:
Ant,
Congrats on the two gold rinds Big Guy. That blue stone one is a beauty!
Sounds like you guys have some stiff competition in your area.
You did very well.
Congrats,
MM

Thanks MM that means a lot to me when you say that.

Thanks again and HH.
 
Very nice job you did.WTG.Nice pictures.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom