Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Getting this quick post out before the hurricane and inevitable loss of power from the wind! I am absolutely in SHOCK about what I walked up on in a sugarcane field last hunt! The heat was awful--101, and 111-112 with the heat index. Brutal. But we did it, and I'm really happy I went (as always). Here's the video:

So I did a couple rows in the early, already hot, morning. All the rows had washed down from the heavy rains we had, so lots of finds were exposed. Native American artifact hunters will recognize these prime conditions. Well, right on top of a row I saw what I thought was an aluminum Mardi Gras doubloon. Looked too big to be anything else! (Also, I'd just dug one of those pesky things at a newer site we scouted a few days before). Then I swung over it with the F75 and it read 91. 91!!! I bent about halfway over to get a closer look and almost fainted--it was a freaking MORGAN DOLLAR perched up on a pedestal of dirt where it'd washed out of the mud!!! Folks, my last Morgan was dug back in 1993 or so, at a lumber camp in Virginia deep in the woods. My wife, diggergirl dug one in Indiana around 2008 or so at a one-room schoolhouse site. So they are VERY infrequent finds. I was just shocked at how this was sitting there staring up at me. We dug lots of other good finds, including some Civil War buttons, relics, a gorgeous civilian two-piece button, plantation tokens, two more shield nickels from "nickel field" which brings the total now to 11 shield nickels from 3 hunts, and even MORE silver! So if you aren't watching the videos on my channel hopefully that will motivate you to see all the rest of what we found. Below are some photos of the silver dollar exactly as I found it, before I touched it the first time, along with a few other photos. Ended up being a STUNNING 1900-O Morgan Dollar!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Now the hurricane is on us, so I'll sign off and save my cell battery. Stay safe, anyone who is in the path of this awful storm!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Attachments

• IMG_7254.jpeg
    IMG_7254.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_7249.jpeg
    IMG_7249.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_7292.jpeg
    IMG_7292.jpeg
    698.3 KB · Views: 916
  • IMG_7270.jpeg
    IMG_7270.jpeg
    515.6 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_7294.jpeg
    IMG_7294.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 905
Upvote 66
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 35 years into the hobby and have never found a silver dollar much less eyeballed one. I bet you can't wait to see what else washes out after all the rain you got.

ohhh man! Yeah I can’t wait! Huge problem now is there is zero gasoline anywhere! People made runs on the gas stations so in order to dig I’d have to wait in a 2 hr line at the pumps!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread