Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
moonshiner's cache

Another miser story...? My non-treasure hunting friend and I were talking about my metal detecting about a week ago. He then lays out an incredible story about his family. I didn't know whether to hug him or shoot him for not telling me sooner.

Apparently his great-grandfather was a moonshiner around Harnett County, NC. It was known he bought most of his 80+ acres with his money in the prohibition days. No one knew for sure if he had any money left over, though.

After he died, his son (my friend's grandfather) was digging a pond and heard a crunch. He found an ammo box in the bucket of the front-end loader. It was about 10 feet away from an oak tree. He opened it and it had about 50 gold coins in it (not loaded with gold coins as most legends exaggerate)? :)? Then everyone began diggin all over the property to no avail. This was in the 50s and not too many people had access to a metal detector. The excitement died over the years and so did his son.

Four years ago, my friend's dad was planting tomatoes in the old garden behind the house and struck something in the dirt. He started digging and found another metal box (not an ammo box). It was full of gold certificates. This was behind the grandfather's house, not the moonshiner's house (same property - next door). Like father, like son. A few weeks ago, he also found three gold coins in the creek close to the pond. But he didn't tell the rest of the family. Only his son (my friend). My friend goes to "casually" talk to his great uncle (80-something years old) about the family treasures. He finds out the original moonshiner told him that he had four boxes buried on his property. He also told him that the moonshiner didn't want to tell his son and as far as the uncle knew, he never did.

So we've got great granddad, the moonshiner with three more caches somewhere. And we know his son next door also hid things on his property.

So my friend invited me and Chad (my thunting partner) to come over and hunt his land...as long as he is with us. It sounds like a dream-come-true place to hunt. It may become our winter project. It's a big place. But he said no one has looked seriously for anything. The land is still in his family and he has full access anytime he pleases. Looks like the two-box is gonna have to come out. What's blowing my mind is I've known this guy for years. He goes to my church. He knows my hobby. But he said it never occurred to him to tell me until last week.

I'll keep you posted...

G

goldchuck

Re: If you care to believe...

I believe! I believe! Man I love these stories. This is going to be good, I can tell already. Can't wait to hear the end. Doesn't the bible say something about the riches of the wicked saved up for the righteous or something like that? Chuck

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Great story,,, Keep us posted...
Good Luck & HappyHunting~

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

goldchuck said:
Doesn't the bible say something about the riches of the wicked saved up for the righteous or something like that?? Chuck?

I don't think I'm in a position to judge who is righteous or not. The Bible also says it rains on the just and unjust. I've been both many times - I'll leave the "raining" to God. We're not asking for a dime in return to hunt. If and when we find a cache, we'll give it to the family. If they want to give a donation or reward, so be it. A picture and bragging rights will be enough? ;)

Forgot to mention my friend found a bank bag of money - roughly $7000 under a freezer (beeeekrock...) when his grandfather (moonshiner's son) was still living years ago. His grandfather saw him pull it out and exclaimed, "I was wondering where I left that!" It's so hard for me to believe this story and I know the guy! But how does anyone forget where they hid so much money???! I'll try to get some pics so we can all believe a little more...? 8)

G

goldchuck

Hey Darren, I'm Busted and you are Right! Must have sounded I was passing judgement on Grandpa. Please forgive. Hope you find it and the family benefits. Chuck

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Darren I believe. I have been told a similar story about my great grandfather in NC. I hope to look for it sometime. He tried to tell my grandma and granpa where it was hidden, but they had a hard time understanding him because he had throut cancer. Good luck, BenVA

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: If you care to believe...miser update

Update below...

Goldchuck - no offense taken ;D You always have good things to say. Keep it coming.

Beekrock - I agree. I guess so many who are treasure hunting don't have the kind of money these misers had. So we don't realize they took for granted what we are fixated on finding.

BenVA - Great opportunity. I'm around Raleigh - roughly 2 hours from the VA line. If you're looking in NC and I can help, shoot me an email.

Update...the first outing to the land produced no finds...of value :) We mostly scouted out potential areas. But the one spot I wanted to hit first was that creekbed where the gold coins were found. I just knew if he found them by sight, we'd find a few from md'ing. No dice. Found a few cans, barbed wire and assorted junk. I plan to hit it again, though.

We then went out by the tree where the ammo box was found. Used a two box. We found a boatload of cans. Some old and some fairly new. They still let friends fish in the pond. Looks like they need to clean up after themselves ::)

As we were leaving, a noticed a lone pecan tree. I asked my friend about it. He said it was part of a line of pecan trees on the property, but the others had all been cut down or blown over in storms. Hmmmm...

He also pointed out where the old moonshine still was in the woods. We've have not tried there, around the old house or the property next door. I really believe the caches will be within eyesight of the old house. This will take awhile. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

Darren,

Interesting tail. I doubt you will need the two box, those home stashes are never all that deep.

I would ask for a written agreement on the spit. It may sound ::) but it may save you a nasty court battle, or help if you should come into some real money.

Good Hunting to you and your partner

HDJ

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Find the site of the old still.Now picture yourself as the moonshiner,how much time was spent at the still during the liquor making process?What escape route would you use if the law or them dam* revenuers came a callin'?Any old landmarks,large trees,rocks or boulders,an old road no longer in use? How about up the creek a ways?Stand at the site of the old still,take a good look around and use your imagination!GOOD LUCK! I BELIEVE!KEEP US POSTED!

rck_1

Oct 9, 2004
Knightdale, NC

High Desert Jim said:
I would ask for a written agreement on the spit. It may sound ::) but it may save you a nasty court battle, or help if you should come into some real money.
HDJ

Hmmm, Funny, I dont remeber Darren saying anything about a split. He is donig the right thing and giving it back to the family if its found.

rck_1

Oct 9, 2004
Knightdale, NC

Darren,
BTW, I would love to help you guys look if you`ll have me. Shoot me an e-mail and I`ll send you my Phone #.

Rob

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

High Desert Jim said:
I doubt you will need the two box, those home stashes are never all that deep.

You are correct, Jim, but some of the prospective area is in the direct path of "runoff" from the tobacco fields. I have already found some modern cans under a foot and a half of loamy sand. Hopefully, the caches are elsewhere, but just to be sure... I don't know if you got a chance to read more of the above, but we aren't asking for a reward or split. These are friends of mine, so I'm thrilled to help them.

Thanks for the offer, Rob. I don't know how many more the family is going to be comfortable with, but you never know :)

Beekrock - I hope to get some pics of the coins already found next time I visit. I'll post them if so. More later...

D

Davy R

Hi Darren
Just a few thoughts, if the old man was a user of his own goods (Moonshine) this could possibly account for his having misplaced 7000 bucks. If this is a possibility, then you will have to think out of the box for possible hiding places. And if all else fails some of that moonshine will put you in the right frame of mind to think in an illogical manner. Good luck with the hunt. Davy R

X

XcopterDoc

Harnett Co. and nothern Cumberland Co. in NC is well noted for its liquior even today! Godwin, Falcon, Wade and Dunn all come to mind. This is the area where the Williams family came from. Remember Carbine Williams? He invented the carbine rifle while in jail for bootlegging. Sold the idea to the Govt and became a hero of sorts. His brother, Gordon Williams is still kickin and living in the area. A couple years ago the Feds busted up a still in that area. They interviewed the G-Man on the TV and he was almost in tears as he told of the still. All stainless steel construction, 5000 gal vats, all state of the art! He said he hated to destroy it as it was the finest still he had ever seen in over 30 yrs of service! hehe! Gotta love it! Ok.. enough of my NC history lesson!

rck_1 said:
High Desert Jim said:
I would ask for a written agreement on the spit. It may sound? ::) but it may save you a nasty court battle, or help if you should come into some real money.
HDJ

? ? Hmmm,? Funny, I dont remeber Darren saying anything about a split. He is donig the right thing and giving it back to the family if its found.

I would ask for a written agreement on the spit. Meaning a finders fee isn't unreasonable. 10 - 15 percent. Even among friends ;D

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Well, back out to the ggrandad's homestead again. My friend only had two hours. I'll take whatever I can get! Here's the pond that was dug when the first ammo box was found. Also, my homemade 1 meter loop (detects deep!) helped us out today. But we found nothing but junk like you see in the picture. We've still barely covered any area, so eventually we'll hit something.

G

giterdone

Hello Darren, I'm new here and this is quite an interesting story you have going. That "homemade" loop, mind sharing how I might make one? GITERDONE.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Darren, did you use one of Eric Fishers tow techs with that big coil ? ??? I used one to build my 2ftx 4ft coil to pull behind the boat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread