What's new

More 18th Century finds and "Old Grover"

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2015
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
1,566
Golden Thread
1
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of hunts over the weekend. Got a new permission at a 1900 home site that was very disappointing. The only notable find other than a few wheats and a hem weight was a Grover Cleveland presidential token. This one is not aluminum, nor does it have a sponsor name like "SHELL" on it. Looks to be made of brass. I have no idea when, or who made these so any info would be appreciated. The following day I hit my old standby field; a 18th century farm site that continues to produce for me. I came up with two more dandy's, a few smaller buttons, a nice knee buckle frame and an interesting sea shell-shaped piece. Added additional photos of the two dandy's and knee buckle after some gentle electrolysis. One of the dandy's has a convex shape and design that I've not seen before. Enjoy!

IMG_0276.webpIMG_0278.webpIMG_0279.webp
Radial dandy front.webpClover dandy front.webpknee buckle front.webp
 
Upvote 20
I have found presidential tokens from that series. I believe someone said they are mid 20th century. Nice knee buckle frame and the buttons are sweet too.
 
Cool digs Tommy. :thumbsup: Many older sites have been cherry picked as far back as the 70's, if the place is along a highly traveled road, more than likely it has been hunted. You can only hope that they hunted in a hurry or some coins sunk deep into the soil. Maybe you ought to go back after a soaking rain and swing slow listening for whispers.
 
Cool digs Tommy. :thumbsup: Many older sites have been cherry picked as far back as the 70's, if the place is along a highly traveled road, more than likely it has been hunted. You can only hope that they hunted in a hurry or some coins sunk deep into the soil. Maybe you ought to go back after a soaking rain and swing slow listening for whispers.

You make a good point, Loco. But what I've come to find out; however, is that the original families of these small rural farm sites (and I mean VERY rural) were basically self-sustaining and as a rule had very little money, few personal possessions beyond their basic needs, and farm implements. What money they had, they hoarded and kept hidden in the home leaving very little chance for any kind of coin spill that might be discovered later. Basically, they had little so they lost little. Fast forward a few generations and you start to find the wheats and clad and other dropped relics that tend to less exciting than what you would expect to find at such an old site. The 18th century site where I found these buttons (and quite a few old coins on previous hunts) is a different story. It was owned by a wealthy family that employed a large staff to maintain the farm and grounds. They threw parties and entertained guests back in the day resulting in many lost and interesting items to be found later. All that said, I fully plan to go back to the first site after a good rain and swing low and slow just as you suggest!
 
Last edited:
All great finds Tommy.

"two dandy's and knee buckle after some gentle electrolysis"

I know I may get slatted for this & I understand they are yours to do as you will, but please consider not taking off all the patina with electrolysis. Your logo states ''Preserving Historical Evidence'' & I'm not aware of any of any Museum Services that would recommend the preservation of ground (copper-alloy) found objects by the use of electrolysis.
These items don't have any real $ value but what scares me is you might do this to an extremely rare one.

Now I got my twitching out of the way. I like your thinking on rural (remote) losses.
 
Here is info:

This commemorative token was made by the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut during the mid-20th century. The Scovill Company was established in 1802 as a button manufacturer and is still in business today. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods including buttons, daguerreotype mats, and campaign medals.Obverse: Bust of Grover Cleveland facing right. Legend: 22nd & 24th PRESIDENT, U.S.A./1885-1889 1893-1897/GROVER CLEVELANDReverse: Legend reads: "OLD GROVER"/MAYOR OF BUFFALO/GOVERNOR OF NEW YORK/FAVORED TARIFF REDUCTION/ EXPANDED CIVIL SERVICE/ SHOWED KEEN TACT IN HIS FOREIGN POLICY/"THE MAN OF DESTINY."

Congrats HH
 
You make a good point, Loco. But what I've come to find out; however, is that the original families of these small rural farm sites (and I mean VERY rural) were basically self-sustaining and as a rule had very little money, few personal possessions beyond their basic needs, and farm implements. What money they had, they hoarded and kept hidden in the home leaving very little chance for any kind of coin spill that might be discovered later. Basically, they had little so they lost little. Fast forward a few generations and you start to find the wheats and clad and other dropped relics that tend to less exciting than what you would expect to find at such an old site. The 1800's site where I found these buttons (and quite a few old coins on previous hunts) is a different story. It was owned by a wealthy family that employed a large staff to maintain the farm and grounds. They threw parties and entertained guests back in the day resulting in many lost and interesting items to be found later. All that said, I fully plan to go back to the first site after a good rain and swing low and slow just as you suggest!

You are describing much of the Rural South & away from the Coast & mostly South of VA there was nothing but Farmland & Few big Plantations Here & there & was sparsely populated (By The white men) Before the 1830's & still few & far between (by today's standards) in the Civil War , then after the war the South stayed mostly Poor /Rural & Farming until WW2, There for Wheat's Abound , & I really "Jonse" For Barbers.

Heck I have only found 5-7 Flat buttons over the last 15 years.

As they say the Grass is always Greener , Kinda like our latest Banner Stated about hunting out West.
GL
Davers
 
All great finds Tommy.

"two dandy's and knee buckle after some gentle electrolysis"

I know I may get slatted for this & I understand they are yours to do as you will, but please consider not taking off all the patina with electrolysis. Your logo states ''Preserving Historical Evidence'' & I'm not aware of any of any Museum Services that would recommend the preservation of ground (copper-alloy) found objects by the use of electrolysis.
These items don't have any real $ value but what scares me is you might do this to an extremely rare one.

Now I got my twitching out of the way. I like your thinking on rural (remote) losses.

Pardon me while I counter-twitch. I understand your trepidation, Crusader, and I take no offense. I do not use electrolysis on every copper alloy relic I find. However, where appropriate as defined by its level of remaining detail, potential monetary and historical value; I find it very useful in slowing the relentless oxidation of the metal, and continued deterioration caused by decades of applied chemical fertilizers (I'm sure Museum Services would not recommend that either) - a major component of the patina that you mention. One more thought on "Museum Services" and archeologists in general - I've not met one yet that will wade into the bramble, briar, tick, chigger, snake and mosquito infested sites that I hunt to recover a few buttons, less there is a paycheck or government grant incentivizing them to do so.

Aaahh...that felt good. I needed a good twitch!
 
Here is info:

This commemorative token was made by the Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut during the mid-20th century. The Scovill Company was established in 1802 as a button manufacturer and is still in business today. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods including buttons, daguerreotype mats, and campaign medals.Obverse: Bust of Grover Cleveland facing right. Legend: 22nd & 24th PRESIDENT, U.S.A./1885-1889 1893-1897/GROVER CLEVELANDReverse: Legend reads: "OLD GROVER"/MAYOR OF BUFFALO/GOVERNOR OF NEW YORK/FAVORED TARIFF REDUCTION/ EXPANDED CIVIL SERVICE/ SHOWED KEEN TACT IN HIS FOREIGN POLICY/"THE MAN OF DESTINY."

Congrats HH

Much appreciated, DD!
 
Great relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

You found a couple of nice buttons!
 
Nice digs man im about 99% sure that it's a hat buckle frame.They always get thought of as a knee buckle frame but it's to decor and to wide for a knee buckle..

~Blaze
 
@Blaze I agree, hat buckle is most likely.
 
I like that Presidential token. Those are great finds.
 
Nice digs man im about 99% sure that it's a hat buckle frame.They always get thought of as a knee buckle frame but it's to decor and to wide for a knee buckle..

~Blaze

Thanks for the feedback, Johnny. I had never considered this might be a hat buckle frame.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom