MORE PICTURES OF THE MARBLES MY FRIEND FOUND AT HER 91 YEAR OLD GRANDFATHER'S HOUSE

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to start a new thread rather than post under my original post. I tried to separate the marbles by type as best I could and took pictures in sunlight and indoors. She now has the marbles out of the fishbowl :hello2:
Cheese, I'm hoping you can provide further information on these marbles and point out the better ones. Maybe even edit the pictures and draw circles around the better ones or number them and provide details by number if it's not too much trouble :icon_thumright:

First pictures are the swirls. There may be more in the group that I didn't recognize.
Swirls Outdoors 1.jpg

Swirls Indoors 1.jpg

This blue one seems to have silver flecks in it
Blue Marble 2.jpg

Here are other marbles. Not sure what we have here.
Other Marbles sunlight.jpg

Here are clays and some that look to be glazed
Clays and glazed Sunlight.jpg

One more question: Are there display cases available designed specifically for marbles? I know they make cases with circular cutouts for displaying buttons that have little plastic cases with foam for each cutout. But the marble would be rubbing the lid of the plastic container :dontknow:

We appreciate any additional that can be provided!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to start a new thread rather than post under my original post. I tried to separate the marbles by type as best I could and took pictures in sunlight and indoors. She now has the marbles out of the fishbowl :hello2:
Cheese, I'm hoping you can provide further information on these marbles and point out the better ones. Maybe even edit the pictures and draw circles around the better ones or number them and provide details by number if it's not too much trouble :icon_thumright:

First pictures are the swirls. There may be more in the group that I didn't recognize.
View attachment 2022910
View attachment 2022911

View attachment 2022912

View attachment 2022913

View attachment 2022914

One more question: Are there display cases available designed specifically for marbles? I know they make cases with circular cutouts for displaying buttons that have little plastic cases with foam for each cutout. But the marble would be rubbing the lid of the plastic container :dontknow:

Are you handy with wood? If you could get ahold of a piece of some nice grained wood like maybe walnut or some type of burl,say about 12inch X12inch,2 inches thick. Lay out a grid on the top with a pencil and straight edge that would give you a 1/4 inch separation between marbles. Take a bit that would drill a hole that would just fit the marbles diameter. Using a drill press,drill holes on center just the depth of half or maybe a bit less than the marbles diameter. When done,sand well and stain and finish with varnish or oil. When dry,insert marbles in the drilled holes and you have it. May be more trouble than you want to fool with,but makes a dandy display.I was once arrested for impersonating a carpenter but I assure you it was a mistake!:laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you handy with wood? If you could get ahold of a piece of some nice grained wood like maybe walnut or some type of burl,say about 12inch X12inch,2 inches thick. Lay out a grid on the top with a pencil and straight edge that would give you a 1/4 inch separation between marbles. Take a bit that would drill a hole that would just fit the marbles diameter. Using a drill press,drill holes on center just the depth of half or maybe a bit less than the marbles diameter. When done,sand well and stain and finish with varnish or oil. When dry,insert marbles in the drilled holes and you have it. May be more trouble than you want to fool with,but makes a dandy display.I was once arrested for impersonating a carpenter but I assure you it was a mistake!:laughing7:
A custom made DIY display would certainly work, but it is definitely more work than I want to get involved in. If they were my marbles maybe yes.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is a person who lives in my hometown, much younger than me and very beautiful. She is interested in metal detecting and goes out digging with me sometimes. Not a significant other if that's what your thinking lol.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A custom made DIY display would certainly work, but it is definitely more work than I want to get involved in. If they were my marbles maybe yes.
She is a person who lives in my hometown, much younger than me and very beautiful. She is interested in metal detecting and goes out digging with me sometimes. Not a significant other if that's what your thinking lol.
In that case,I can dig it!:laughing7:

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2022910
View attachment 2022911

View attachment 2022912

View attachment 2022913

View attachment 2022914

Awesome finds there Steve, brings back a lot of memories of coffee cans of marbles, agates, steelies purees, etc.
Played a lot in the dirt back then......

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
There are many nice ones there. The white one with green and gold bands is the best of the bunch, very desirable. Here are some of the nbest ones, circled. The solid blue one, being found in the context it's in, may be a MFC persian blue. If so, it's desirable. If not, it's just a common game marble. Many of the other marbles not circled can still be $30 marbles or more.

Attachments

• Swirls Outdoors 1.jpg
    Swirls Outdoors 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Other Marbles sunlight.jpg
    Other Marbles sunlight.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First row, #3, second row #2,#3, third row #1 and maybe even more looks to be handmade German swirls. It is also possible that all of these as well as some of those in the large group picture are handmade and have some value to them. They really need to be looked at up close. It would be good idea to have an experienced marble expert look at them and let you know what you have.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. My friend knows nothing about marbles, and I only know what I have learned on this forum. I knew when she showed them to me that the were some special marbles here. Now we know a little more about this collection.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a glass jar with all the marbles that were my Grandmothers. They are very delicate because of there age, I've had some pop in two. Some catseye in there also a lot of the ones with swirls of color in them. I don't know all the proper names.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a glass jar with all the marbles that were my Grandmothers. They are very delicate because of there age, I've had some pop in two. Some catseye in there also a lot of the ones with swirls of color in them. I don't know all the proper names.
If they are delicate best to keep them separated instead of in a jar where where they will rub and scratch one another.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are delicate best to keep them separated instead of in a jar where where they will rub and scratch one another.
They don't get moved, they are on a shelf and we are to old to have any kids around anymore.

alloy_II

Dec 24, 2021
If the owner of the marbles ever decided to build a display case I would plant the seed of suggestion.

Lighting from beneath any marbles that will pass light via optic fiber this way one light source could illuminate everything.

Some light channels from the e-waste picked up yesterday, some of the newer automotive vehicles use optic fibers on the dash lights.

In the automotive industry it is cheaper to run fiber than it is copper.

optic1.jpg

optic.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SusanMN is correct. The first photo is of hand made German swirl marbles. Many of those and the clay ones go back to the 19th century. I found a German swirl in an 1860's house site last year. Under those are what I think are called "aggie" marbles. Some of the German swirl marbles get pricey. I saw quite a few today on Ebay in the $30-$100 range - each for the German swirls.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread