Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is three very short hunts combined. So far, we have managed to find silver in one form or another every hunt. My wife found two mercs and a war nickle as well as a small pocket knife which one of the smaller grandkids took off with. She also found some wheaties as well as the still dirty small silver chain. I found one wheatie, a bigger pocket knife, the rifle medal for I figure the army which turned out to be sterling. The possible dog tag has the name of Orval Bailey as well as Jessie Bailey from Rt. 3 Idaho Falls, Idaho. It has these numbers 3990344T42 A and a P. it's from Idaho here in Ark. The ring is stamped Sterling as well as 10kt which is obviously plated over the silver as most of it has come off. Not sure what the letters are on the ring, maybe LR. For a moment, I thought while still in the dirt that the ring might be an old class ring but as I wiped it clean (almost dark outside) I could see otherwise. The wife is finally seeing how gridding pays off. We have been using the cheap wire with orange flag markers to grid with. I had a very busy day, Got up at four am to get ready and catch the DAV van in town to ride for almost three hours one way to the big VA hospital. I had a 9:30 appointment that turned into a 1:30 one. I got home about 4:45 and the wife already had her detector and things waiting to go. So I have created a monster, she hunts until she can't see anymore and asks me when we are going next. I guess I will deal with it LOL. just realized that one of the mercs didn't make the pics, oh well. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 0703171637b.jpg
    0703171637b.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 0703171638a.jpg
    0703171638a.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 0703172126a.jpg
    0703172126a.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 0706172141_Burst02.jpg
    0706172141_Burst02.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 0706172142_Burst02.jpg
    0706172142_Burst02.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 0706172143_Burst01.jpg
    0706172143_Burst01.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 15

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and Thanks for your service. My wife and kids claim my Jewelry and silver rings. They don't understand the treasure hunting mentality. Its good to have a hunting partner only if they don't start finding lots more than you then start tossing out advice. Just kidding . Nice finds Thanks for sharing!!!@@

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your finds. It's nice your wife enjoys the hobby. I know what you mean with the VA, I have a 9:30 appointment today, but I just plan on being tied up all day.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I think the monogram on the ring is just one letter, an Old English B. Perhaps for Bailey (the name on the dog tag).

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the monogram on the ring is just one letter, an Old English B. Perhaps for Bailey (the name on the dog tag).

could be, hard for me to tell. reason for my visit to VA was for my eyes to see if I get another shot in my left eye.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was tired last night, seems I forgot several things, one was the Buff, it was a better detail buff and was a 1936. the silver chain was tested twice to make sure, it had another small deteriorated chain wrapped with it, maybe to extend it. it is so nice to have a site where you can find older coins and silver on a regular basis (for the time being anyways).

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've been on quite the roll lately buddy! Keep up these good hunts....and keep the lady happy lol

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds there, dirtlooter. Your dog tag is for a WW2 US Army veteran, (Orval) tetanus shot in 1942, type A blood, protestant religion and the next of kin is Jesse in the state of Idaho. I am sure some of our astute Tnetters will look them up for you. It would be an honor to return such a dog tag to a descendant! Sub 8-)

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little confused why it doesn't have the religious preference on the tag, I wonder if they didn't start doing that till after WW2. I bet everybody just got a catholic chaplain, anybody know?

I work at the VA and as a veteran I get a little frustrated with the bureaucracy and the medical providers (holier than thou). I understand everyone is human, but apologize if you are late to a patient. Also a lot of these doc's are double dipping, they get a paycheck from the VA (which isn't small) and one from a local University medical school (which also isn't small). Seems very unethical and illegal to me.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little confused why it doesn't have the religious preference on the tag, I wonder if they didn't start doing that till after WW2. I bet everybody just got a catholic chaplain, anybody know?

I work at the VA and as a veteran I get a little frustrated with the bureaucracy and the medical providers (holier than thou). I understand everyone is human, but apologize if you are late to a patient. Also a lot of these doc's are double dipping, they get a paycheck from the VA (which isn't small) and one from a local University medical school (which also isn't small). Seems very unethical and illegal to me.

The isolated P located on the dog tag above the word Idaho, is a designation for Protestant.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You've been on quite the roll lately buddy! Keep up these good hunts....and keep the lady happy lol

The roll has been because of this new permission, they can sure breath new life into you, plus prove to yourself that you are doing things right. thanks for the comment DL

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super finds there, dirtlooter. Your dog tag is for a WW2 US Army veteran, (Orval) tetanus shot in 1942, type A blood, protestant religion and the next of kin is Jesse in the state of Idaho. I am sure some of our astute Tnetters will look them up for you. It would be an honor to return such a dog tag to a descendant! Sub 8-)

We are taking the tag by our local VA office to see if they can figure out who and how to get it back to family

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I knew that with so little info on the address (no box number) that it had to be old and many thanks to Subterranean for the help and info. I hope to get the dog tag returned, I knew that it was a very cool find as soon as I realized what it could be.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you and your wife on the finds! Nice to have someone to hunt with and enjoy MDing with. Hope the site has much more for you all!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats to you and your wife on the finds! Nice to have someone to hunt with and enjoy MDing with. Hope the site has much more for you all!

Actually, we have barely started at this place, just wish it wasn't so hot.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We got the dog tag in process at the VA Office, they were excited to see it. They took down all of the info and will be posting it in three Veteran magazines. they were sure of a quick response so we will see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions