Most states allow MDing in National Forests and Parks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think where some confusion might be? National and state historical sites?....

Nitric, putting aside the issue of privately owned land for the moment (if there is or isn't restrictions for historical plaque type sites), let's just concentrate on what you're saying about "historic", in general. Ie.: as it relates to this discussion of NFS land.

You are right: Md'rs ... EVEN THOUGH NO RULE EXISTS (or in this case, an express allowance), they should STILL avoid ... uh .... "obvious historic sensitive monuments". Doh. Why swat hornet's nests? And in the case of NFS, while there's an express allowance, it does come with the asterick that ARPA still applies. Hence you can find new stuff (beaches for jewelry & clad, for example). But just not old stuff. And you and I would have a hard time convincing a ranger that we were snooping around a historic monument "looking for new stuff".

The explanation that you're angling for new stuff would fly though, in run-of-the-mill campgrounds, beaches, ball diamonds, etc.... Just make sure your math is bad if you (gasp) find a 51+ yr. old coins. Or if you're *really* worried, stick it back in the hole, and cover it back up. Or you can send it to me, and I will absolve your conscience of all guilt.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... As for labeling of areas as "Historic" don't assume that any area that carries that title is considered off limits to detecting....

Yes. I mean, heck, the park in the center of my town dates to the 1890s. So, could that be considered "historic" ? Sure. If you asked enough bored city officials, archies, etc.... Could a mercury dime be considered "historic"? Sure, if you ask enough persons, someone will be sure to come along and realize it's over 50 yrs. old. But REALISTICALLY? No. You can hunt this park till you're blue in the face and no one cares (even if you find a merc!).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread