All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have been looking at the list of states that allow MDing in national parks & forests and it looks like most of them do but some or most require permission from the park ranger who says no. here in Arizona MDing in National Parks & Forests is legal with permission from ranger and they say no.

Melissa, please link us with whatever source it is, that is giving you this information. Because "national forests" (NFS) .... to my knowledge, allows it in all their locations. In other words, it makes no difference WHICH state it/they are in, they are still all the same "national forests". And thus, subject to their own strictures, not state strictures. State's say-so would only apply to their STATE land, not federal land within their borders.

And as far as "national parks": again, let us know whatever source you're referring to. Because in context of your opening sentence, it sounds like you are saying that some national parks are ok (or at least ok when a ranger there says so). But to my knowledge, national parks are a no-no, at all of them.

So please link us to whatever authority source you're looking at, which is saying these things.

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new here, and curious about the laws. What list are you referring to?

OP
OP
M

Melissa Archibald

Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand some of the laws

I can understand some of the laws against MDing as there are some slobs and always will be but the majority of MD'ers respect the land and laws. All we want is our right to treasure hunt just as they did years ago. Well with a few improvement's :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FEDERATION OF METAL DETECTOR AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL CLUBS INC. I found the site at (Federation of Metal Detector & Archaeological Clubs Inc.)

You are making the usual fatal mistake. That list, in your link, is for STATE PARKS. It has NOTHING TO DO with other forms of land within those states. Eg.: city, county, federal, private, etc... And actually, also nothing to do with other forms of state land as well. (ie.: state road right-of-way, etc....).

Yours has been a common mistake. People see that list, and assume that "state" means .... "all land in the state". But look again and you'll see it's only referring to state parks. And I am a little doubtful as to some of that information they have there anyhow. I mean, as to ... how THEY got that info. But that's for another thread. Doh!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just do it, anyone asks say " jeff says it's ok"

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
see? my words are gold

DadOfTwo

Nov 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT, Vulcan 360 pp.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something similar Happened to me at a place called Chidester Mill in Oh. I saw a guy mowing, stopped and asked for permission...

IRRELAVENT STORY ALERT: Just have to tell my story. When I was a kid I was mowing the neighbor's yard when a salesman came up to the gate. He asked me, "Hey kid, are your parents home?" and I gave him a smug, "Why yes they are!" After several minutes knocking on the door, he say's "I thought you said your parents were home?" "I did, I don't live here." He didn't think it was so funny.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National forests and national recreation areas vary from state to state, there is no national law that makes it illegal in every state or forest.

It pays to do your own research on laws in area we want to search rather than make a general assumption that it is illegal....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two local state parks (specifically parks and not forests or game lands) have informed me I can detect but not dig or remove objects. However, in the off Labor day to Memorial Day season the beaches (where there is "imported" sand) are exempt and finds can be removed. The county, city and town parks are usually receptive but not always.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
states can't allow hunting on federal "national" parks --as it is federal govt land --and ps --the rangers in federal parks are federal employees --so they will say "no" as per federal rules -- althought the federal land might be contained within a state that allows metal detecting at its "state parks" with state park rangers (state employees ) ok ---it a whole different set of rules..

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In MD. you can detect in state parks with permission of the ranger except in June, July, and August. I have hunted with permission in state parks, but some other parks were more restrictive. Frank five star.png

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
National forests and national recreation areas vary from state to state, ....

Huh? Why would a "national" forest rule, vary from "state to state" ? The very word "national" implies... uh .... national. Doesn't it ? So if there is an express allowance for national forests (putting aside the issue of "old" targets, for-sake-of-discussion for the moment), then ..... this would be true, no matter WHAT state it is in. Since when does a state tell the fed what to do or not do, on fed lands ?

.....It pays to do your own research on laws in area we want to search rather than make a general assumption that it is illegal....

Sure. And if a person has researched an seen an express allowance, then presto, he's "researched" it then. That's not a "general assumption" at all :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread