Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Reid and I ventured out on Saturday in search of a new colonial site. Located several from the 1600s in a neighboring county, but either couldn't catch anyone at home or could not determine the owner. So we ended up stopping by one of our old sites on the way home. We had previously found 6 or 7 pieces of silver here including a 1735 one reale, a 1600s cob, and several cut pieces. This was also the same site where I found the French Rev War button a couple months ago. The farmer had chisel plowed the field since our last visit, and we were hoping some deep goodies were stirred up a bit. The volume of finds was not great, but I did get lucky with 2 more pieces of Spanish silver. And both had partial dates - one a 1724 and the other a 173?. I think out of all the cut pieces I've dug, that's the first one that had 3 digits of the date. So the day ended up as a success, and definitely has us interested in going back. It seems many times we "hunt a site out" only to go back at a later date and stuff starts magically popping out. Guess that's just another reason why this hobby can be so much fun. A brief video is included along with a couple pics. Does anyone have a clue what that gilted item is in the last pic? It's not really a button or cufflink - almost a hybrid of some sort. Thanks for any info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih2f-Q3D814

Attachments

• 022611a.JPG
    022611a.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 687
  • 022611b.JPG
    022611b.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 697
  • 022611c.JPG
    022611c.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 0
Those are nice bill.

You got some great early sites.

Jer

Bill
Do you have a pic of the top of that gilded item? Kind of looks like some type of fastener but just not sure what.
Thanks!

DMN said:
Bill
Do you have a pic of the top of that gilded item? Kind of looks like some type of fastener but just not sure what.
Thanks!

Its just rounded and smooth, with some gilting left.

Cut Spanish silver would make anybodies day.
Congratulations and good luck on a new site.

Nice hunt bill best of luck in the up coming season HH

Nice Bill ! Great field Hunt ! 2 more pieces of silver from your site :hello2: :hello2: Thanks for taking the time to post ! MaineRelic

Like the cut silver, on my list. Arty

Congrats on more cut silver Bill, I just know how hard it is for you to find that cut Spanish. ::) ;D One of these days I just might get lucky and get a piece here in SJ......

Don

Keep adding to that silver count Bill :headbang:

Good luck on the new sites and we'll see you at DIV.

Congrats on the cut Spanish silver...those were not used too often in the northeast states so I guess I'll have to head south if I ever want to find one.

Here is an article a friend referred to me. I enjoyed it and I think you will too.

http://numismatics.org/wikiuploads/CNL/Pistareens.pdf

Enjoy

NJ

(Don, If you have not found one in NJ then I don't have a chance...lol.)

Missed this, I haven't had a sniff of Spanish silver (well maybe a couple of copper cobs), so those would be very welcome. Nice finds :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back