44.8 KB · Views: 224

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The shallow hole is in the spru, and that was because the mold was cold when he made the ball, and the lead sucked in as it became solid. Yes, it is a rifle/musket/pistol bullet, they are still being cast and shot today by people like me, in some cases from reproduction guns, but I have been known to also shoot old original firearms also. Need exact measurements to be able to identify the caliber. Round bullets in rifles tended to be smaller than the musket balls, and that is so especially in the Kentucky long rifle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smf399

smf399

Aug 7, 2012
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shallow hole is in the spru, and that was because the mold was cold when he made the ball, and the lead sucked in as it became solid. Yes, it is a rifle/musket/pistol bullet, they are still being cast and shot today by people like me, in some cases from reproduction guns, but I have been known to also shoot old original firearms also. Need exact measurements to be able to identify the caliber. Round bullets in rifles tended to be smaller than the musket balls, and that is so especially in the Kentucky long rifle.

Is that good?

Attachments

• image-3106762832.jpg
    image-3106762832.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Did you happen to clean it extensively? Kind of wondering about the lack of white also.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that good?

If you are talking about the hole, no it's not good, different weights affect accuracy, and the holes don't make the balls uniform in weight. Usually several balls are cast and re-melted to heat up the mold, before keeping the cast balls to shoot. The best I can tell from your photo with the ruler is the ball is slightly larger than half an inch. If the ball is .54 to .58 inch I'd guess it's dropped a rifle ball. .54 was a very common caliber with the fur trappers out west. What state did you find the ball.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smf399

smf399

Aug 7, 2012
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking about the hole, no it's not good, different weights affect accuracy, and the holes don't make the balls uniform in weight. Usually several balls are cast and re-melted to heat up the mold, before keeping the cast balls to shoot. The best I can tell from your photo with the ruler is the ball is slightly larger than half an inch. If the ball is .54 to .58 inch I'd guess it's dropped a rifle ball. .54 was a very common caliber with the fur trappers out west. What state did you find the ball.

New Jersey

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
New Jersey
Well, that kind of rules out buffalo hunters. At this point your guess is as good as mine. Either rifle or musket is a possibility, and don't rule out pistols either. Flintlock pistols tended to have larger bores also.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread