Musket Barrel?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200815_191858.jpg
20200815_191936.jpg 20200815_191954.jpg 20200815_192008.jpg
Dug this last week. Would love an ID if indeed it is a musket barrel and if so what type. Thanks Davers

Upvote 21
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
You know Joe D ?

You may be correct , I was looking yesterday hard & could not see where a Rear site would have been & I saw no evidence of a front site either ( tho the muzzle area has the most rust ) I was also thinking " that barrel hole look's awful big for a 58 cal " but I have not measured it . I did get the dirt out & pretty 99% sure it's not loaded.

It would be an oldie for this area but not impossible esp , cause of the area it was found .

As for the rest of the rifle , I doubt it's there (I'm gonna look hard tho ) as this area has been hunted for Decades , I'm very surprised it was still there , heck it was not deep , I could see it just under the dirt ( an inch or so ) when I got the signal , I'm 'thinking ' somebody dug it before then discarded it , or the old growth in the area brought it closer to the surface ???.

To be honest I know very little about CW rifles but want to learn , I hope that I'm able to get some more pic's this PM or the weekend .

Thanks for your help , I really wish this thing could talk .
Having no front sight makes sense, the m1842 smoothbore’s front sight (and only sight) was on the front barrel band which probably rotted away years ago. There should be a little square nub near where a front sight should be, but that’s a bayonet lug and it’s probably gone as well. Great find for sure!!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Man.

I had that type of tub pictured in my mind , so ill def , be on the lookout for 1 .
GD

I'd use evaporust rather than zapping it, that way you don't risk losing any metal. You'll need to get the dirt out of the barrel first but if you get a steel rod and flatten one end you can chuck it into a drill and use that to break it all up

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd use evaporust rather than zapping it, that way you don't risk losing any metal. You'll need to get the dirt out of the barrel first but if you get a steel rod and flatten one end you can chuck it into a drill and use that to break it all up

Thanks for the suggestion , I saw evaporust at harbor fright the other day but I may need a few jugs of the size they had , Ill figure it out , as I'm behind on so much right now but when I get it done Ill post here so y'all can see .

When is the question LOL

I'm shooting for the end of the year .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Davers! Haven't been hunting since the heat and so not paying much attention to Tnet since the artillery shell in the spring. Congrats on a GREAT find! I'm still looking for my first. Have never done better than a butt plate or ramrod! Great job bro.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Find!!! Here's a picture of a flint lock that I recently found. It matches a British Navy Boarding Pistol. You can see the touch hole.
flintlock.jpg 13a.jpg

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, Davers! WOW! What a really cool find for you!!!!! I bet you are still doing a jig! I hope you find more of the pieces that go with it. A huge Congratulations!

Mizpah!

~WD

It's my first & a land find at that , so I think if you put in the time you will come across one in the future .

Thanks AARC .

Hope you a doing great say hello to Wrightdigger , or whatever she goes by these days & if still around .

I keep meaning to look myself but get sidetracked every time .
GD

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers! Haven't been hunting since the heat and so not paying much attention to Tnet since the artillery shell in the spring. Congrats on a GREAT find! I'm still looking for my first. Have never done better than a butt plate or ramrod! Great job bro.

Yea PW , you sound like me , I've only hunted a few times since this time last year , hence I been off T-net as well .

Until this all I got was a couple butt plates & No ram-rod pieces , well ??? a couple maybes .

I really wanna cook this 'as I know how to do that pretty well ' I just need to come across the right tub or "Thing" to put it in .
GL This Fall & Have a Blessed Day.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find!!! Here's a picture of a flint lock that I recently found. It matches a British Navy Boarding Pistol. You can see the touch hole.
View attachment 1859075 View attachment 1859076

That's nice & OLD as you know , You gonna cook it up ? & if so let me know when yr done , I need to get mine done but I'm overwhelmed with Iron right now.

No really it's OCD. LOL

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Davers! WOW! What a really cool find for you!!!!! I bet you are still doing a jig! I hope you find more of the pieces that go with it. A huge Congratulations!

Mizpah!

~WD

Thanks so much , glad to hear from you ..I been going through a different Season in my life but relics & history make me happiest .

God Bless you & yours .

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find!!! I found one myself that was used as a stake in the ground lol. Literally tripped over it and pulled it out in a fit of rage and threw it in the back of my truck. never even noticed what it was till a week or two later:laughing7:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man Davers that’s something you don’t see every day that is amazing you got to do electrolysis on it you need to bring that beauty back to life. Congratulations my friend it gonna happen to a better guy

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and great job realizing that it might be something special! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Man.

It was a good day to find that piece of history , hope yr doing great today .

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and great job realizing that it might be something special! :icon_thumright:

Yea , it had the right look , GL to you up in the Historic NE USA .

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Short update on the Barrel .

I took it & showed a couple new friends yesterday , I was still thinking it was /is a .69 Smooth Bore , but the guy had a 58 cal Minnie & tried to fit it in the Muzzle ( yes it has rust & a small dent at it's crown ) but the .58 looked like a tight fit ??? So ? a .69 it may not be , ill do more investigation and will update for those who are curious.

GD
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread