MX5 vs MXT Pro

spd120

Sep 28, 2012
Was going to buy an MXT Pro but waited to see what the MX5 turned out to be when it was released. I've read all the reviews and watched all the videos i can find on the MX5. My question is, with the same coil and the same ground, do the two detectors perform the same? Are the electronics the same, with the differences being physical characteristics and the "Ground Grab" feature on the MXT Pro. I kind of like the notch discrimination on the MX5. Trying to justify the money difference between the two (I know some is attributed to the coils). Thoughts?

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two machines are in different leagues altogether.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id go to whites there site for yourself & do a complete side by side comparison so u can see right in front of you which is gonna best fit ur needs go by what u need no one else is buying it u r & its not $20 so make sure its what u can use & get the most out of whites machines are hands down really well bulit & customer service is great u wont be disapointed theres a reason y they been around this Long

OP
OP
S

spd120

Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm trying to figure out what puts these two detectors in different classes. From the specs, they look the same. Both at 14khz or 15khz, both have multiple tones, both have auto trac, both have the same modes (coin, beach, and all metal). Both have threshold and sensitivity settings. Is there really that much of a difference in performance? Is recovery speed different, are the filters different? I guess I'm looking for someone who had used both and can compare the two. Sorry if this isn't posted in the right place. Thanks to all for the help and input.

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was going to buy an MXT Pro but waited to see what the MX5 turned out to be when it was released. I've read all the reviews and watched all the videos i can find on the MX5. My question is, with the same coil and the same ground, do the two detectors perform the same? Are the electronics the same, with the differences being physical characteristics and the "Ground Grab" feature on the MXT Pro. I kind of like the notch discrimination on the MX5. Trying to justify the money difference between the two (I know some is attributed to the coils). Thoughts?
Any more answers to spd120's questions about the relationship between the MX5 and the MXT Pro?

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mx5 is a fully digital version of the mxt pro .. The mxt pro is part analog and digital. With the detectors all going fully digital these days they wanted to make their most popular machine and make it new. I have used whites machines since the 1970's and the mxt is my favorite. I do really like the mx5. Very good machine. Is it better ?? Well ive tested them side by side and to me they are the same. Same depth. Mx5 may be a tad faster. All of my targets were tested and all was equal. So if you want a lighter more weather resistant mxt pro then the mx5 is the one for you.

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ummm NO, No it's not! Key word there is FULLY!
More like a completely retar…dumbed down digital version!

By "retar...dumbed down" you are probably referring to the MX5 being easier to operate and a bit more automated. A different spin on whether one prefers simplicity over complexity to accomplish the same task.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By "retar...dumbed down" you are probably referring to the MX5 being easier to operate and a bit more automated. A different spin on whether one prefers simplicity over complexity to accomplish the same task.

No, that's is NOT what I was/am referring to! No way on planet Earth the MX5 can do what the MXT does. The digital (big woop) MX5 is missing several features the MXT Pro has . Hence..."retar...dumbed down"! The short time I used one was enough to know it's only a shadow of the "real" MXT. For what it offers at it's price point is a joke!
IF you have to have a Whites and don't wanna spend a grand, look at the Coinmaster GT. Still not one of their better machines but certainly no worse than the MX5. The money you save (about $150), can be put towards a another coil.

But if you're not willing spend a grand, I'd just stay away from Whites altogether, but then again I'm not brand loyal to anyone!

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, that's is NOT what I was/am referring to! No way on planet Earth the MX5 can do what the MXT does. The digital (big woop) MX5 is missing several features the MXT Pro has .

Please elaborate on some of the features the MX5 is missing that make it "retar...dumbed down."
The short time I used one was enough to know it's only a shadow of the "real" MXT.
The great majority of the experienced detectorists I have read on the various forums stress the importance of using and learning a machine over dozens if not hundreds of hours before passing judgement.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever drive a Pinto and modern Ferrari. I have! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is the better performer! Same thing!

You have your heart set on a MX5? Great, go for it! Have fun! I'm have NO doubt it'll pick 4" clad all day long!
Just curious fella have you tried a MX5

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ever drive a Pinto and modern Ferrari. I have! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which is the better performer! Same thing!

You have your heart set on a MX5? Great, go for it! Have fun! I'm have NO doubt it'll pick 4" clad all day long!
It is impossible to make sense out of comments that are based on vague generalities and over the top exaggerations. It's like trying to nail down jello.

I asked a very specific question in response to a claim that you made several posts earlier: Please elaborate on some of the features the MX5 is missing compared to the MXT that make it "retar...dumbed down." I haven't heard an intelligent, helpful answer yet.

BTW, even after using an MX5 for just a few hours, this "newby" (me) learned that this machine will detect quarter inch fragments at 6 to 7".

Last edited:

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks.:occasion14: Things I've learned from the several forums I've watched intently are these:

We are all at different levels of knowledge and experience in detecting.
We are all at different levels of seriousness about the hobby.
We all encounter different soil conditions and have diverse hunting objectives.
We all have different expectations of simplicity, control, user-friendliness and performance of our chosen devices.
We all have different criteria for what constitutes the best machine for our own expectations.
All of the above explains why there are so many different models, most of which do 90% the same thing, with most selling pretty well and well regarded within their price point.

It is amusing when after seeing a particular machine highly praised on a few threads, I look around the forums and Google that machine and find just as many people who find fault with them. I'm coming to the conclusion that this is a hobby of personal opinion and subjectivity. Not a bad thing, but just different than what i expected.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella come on tell us why your opinion is the mx5 is a pos compared to mxt?? Ive talked to alan the corporate manager a while back and we talked about how the mx5 came to be. The parts inside the mx5 are a fully digital version of the same parts of an mxt. Only thing it dont have that i would ever use is trac lock .. Ive tested several to my mxt's and mxtpro's and i dont see a difference. Its deeper than your know. Ive been using whites machines since 1978 and use most any machine as im not brand loyal but facts are facts. Whites has an engineer that was brought in just to make the mxt series a fully digital no knob detector. Thats what it is. You dont have to like it. But if you still dont believe me i can give you the number to alans cell phone. ;) The mx5 is a very good detector in that price range.

Last edited by a moderator:

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After many good reviews and speaking to several people, i purchased a new MX5, SEF Coil, and the new white's TRX pinpointer. Hopefully everything should be here later this week for a holiday weekend hunt!

Last edited:

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's a great deal especially if it's brand new.

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes brand new. I have been out a half dozen times and really like this machine. I am able to run sensitivity on 9, threshold on 6, just notch out nails and off I go. So far I have pulled 5 coins out over 9" deep with my SEF 10X12. KILLER SETUP

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Hammer glad you like the new detector.

Detectors are an odd creature. No single detector is perfect for all of us. There are a lot of people on the forums that go through detector after detector trying to find the one that is a keeper for them. If they dig a couple of pieces of trash they need something better. This can be an expensive endless cycle.

The key is to spend a lot of time with the detector you chose. Learn all it's nuances and strengths and then use them to your advantage. I use Tesoro's. They are single tone with no display. Some would consider this a major disadvantage. The thing is I have spent the time with them and know how to use them really well. Instead of getting out the wallet and buying something supposedly better I took the time to learn my detectors. Right now I don't have the itch or need to try another detector because I am successful with what I am using. Learn your detector and you will become successful also. It's hard to mess with success.

It's just a fact that we all want and expect something different in a detector and that's why we all aren't using the same ole same ole. What works well for one is not the answer for another. If you look on here or that other big forum, some of the most successful people are using and have been using the same detector for a long time, I'm guessing they know their detector well. Their are successful people with all the major brands. It's not which brand you use, It's how well you know your detector.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread