My best fur trade relic of the season....

relic reaper

Jan 12, 2008
Great White North
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 , Tesoro Tejon, Fisher F-75, Tesoro Stingray
just found this forum again after a hiatus of a few years..looking forward to sharing some finds and seeing what others have found.
My best find of the year is a first for me a Jukes Coulson Beaver Tail knife aka Dag, found this fall visiting a buddy on a private property along a river . Amazing it came up intact and complete which is great considering its a farmed field.
Found with my Tejon (who says iron's not your friend). This was find of the month on another Forum for Sept. I don't think it ever had a handle fastened to it, as most were traded blank and a wood , bone or antler handle was made by the owner.

Attachments

• Detecting 2009 105.jpg
    Detecting 2009 105.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,417
Upvote 0

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT relic, I would be pretty stoked to find one of those. That's the nice thing about old iron... it can take so many shapes. Every iron hit is a surprise.

HH,
R.I.

a fellow Tejon enthusiast

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic relic. At the end of the year, I am going to start a post in the 2009 category for great iron finds. I do hope you'll add that beautiful piece to the post.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
relic reaper

relic reaper

Jan 12, 2008
Great White North
Detector(s) used
Re: My best fur trade relic of the season.... close up

close up

Attachments

• Detecting 2009 106.jpg
    Detecting 2009 106.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 2,308
Don't get discouraged at the amount of responses here. A lot of people wouldn't know a good relic if they saw one and this piece blows away most of what gets voted for on the banner. It is what you would expect to find in the museum representing a historic period that the Plains Indians would have this special knife. Knowledgeable people would see no need to post the value of such a piece, and it is not worth it here just to win the appreciation from those who are banner hungry. There are some out there after viewing this post, know how important this find is. Americans should know that this Dag is a NORTH AMERICAN artifact and not just something that you would only find in Canada. Sometimes that makes a difference here on this forum to point that out. Take it from someone who only made the banner once from finding American buttons. ::)
This is one of the nicest finds I have seen posted here!
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Dave.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
Don't get discouraged at the amount of responses here. A lot of people wouldn't know a good relic if they saw one and this piece blows away most of what gets voted for on the banner. It is what you would expect to find in the museum representing a historic period that the Plains Indians would have this special knife. Knowledgeable people would see no need to post the value of such a piece, and it is not worth it here just to win the appreciation from those who are banner hungry. There are some out there after viewing this post, know how important this find is. Americans should know that this Dag is a NORTH AMERICAN artifact and not just something that you would only find in Canada. Sometimes that makes a difference here on this forum to point that out. Take it from someone who only made the banner once from finding American buttons. ::)
This is one of the nicest finds I have seen posted here!
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Dave.

I absolutely agree, and I for one appreciate seeing phenomenal relic finds like this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, I would love to find it, it would go good with my indian artifact collection.

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
That's such a killer piece, Rod!!.......It's so nice to have a small group here that appreciate our finds!!....(But I don't what everyone on the bandwagon anyway) :wink:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a awesome Dag, great shape. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR,

Your in the perfect location for a lot relics. A lot of battles between US Army Calvery and the Indians tookplace in that area. The old Fort C.F. Smith was in central Montana and the "Hayfield Fight" in 1867 pitted 31 soldiers and civilians agains over 700 Souix and Cheyenne warriors. From what I know, the entire battlefied is on private land. Several other major battles in Montana as well...........

OP
OP
relic reaper

relic reaper

Jan 12, 2008
Great White North
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the kudos guys, don't know what the banner means, I take it its a vote or recognition of something?
I just wish I lived closer to a couple of my spots, but the good thing is I know it'll never be hunted out when I only get on it once or twice a year.
Cheers

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Awesome find. :thumbsup: What would the time frame for this piece be? I have never seen a trade dagger like that before.

Good luck hunting.
Wolverine.

OP
OP
relic reaper

relic reaper

Jan 12, 2008
Great White North
Detector(s) used
Mich. Wolverine said:
Awesome find. :thumbsup: What would the time frame for this piece be? I have never seen a trade dagger like that before.

Good luck hunting.
Wolverine.

Well the site it was found at dates early to mid 1800's but the river its on seen trade fairly nearby starting in 1794.
Cheers

OP
OP
relic reaper

relic reaper

Jan 12, 2008
Great White North
Detector(s) used
scratcher said:
That is so very cool! Can you make out the Jukes Coulson mark?

Here it is, these pics were taken the day I found it, I've cleaned , stabilized and preserved it since, but didn't take any more pics.
Pic of the Mark

Attachments

• Detecting 2009 107.jpg
    Detecting 2009 107.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 1,001

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
relic reaper said:
scratcher said:
That is so very cool! Can you make out the Jukes Coulson mark?

Here it is, these pics were taken the day I found it, I've cleaned , stabilized and preserved it since, but didn't take any more pics.
Pic of the Mark

Cool, thanks for the closeup. :icon_thumleft:

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
WOW! If there ever was a banner find, that's one :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to post.

teddy

OP
OP
relic reaper

relic reaper

Jan 12, 2008
Great White North
Detector(s) used
Others have said that, how does it become a banner find? i'm kinda new around here??thanks for the Kudos

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread