🥇 BANNER My Best Water Hunt 1804 AN12 A Napoleon Bonaparte Gold Coin Encircled in 14k Pendant

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D2A75C55-705C-4DBB-9B4E-F73BAB692787.jpeg 0C64B5BA-D8B3-4A82-A967-F809F52EEAF5.jpeg

Charged the Excal2 and said although I have so many chores to do home I have to try again and go back for the sixth time..
This hunt started different with the first target a small medal then a few coins and later this beautiful recovery.After a slow start this season my friends told me to keep trying and I would be rewarded

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 80

John Matuszak

Sep 24, 2020
Tennessee, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the fabulous looking gold coin in the shark bezel. :occasion14:
Now where's that Banner button?
It's a top shelf recovery needing to be on the top of the site as well.
Bottom of the post left side is a bell that says report, click on it and new box opens then you say what the report is for...

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Charged the Excal2 and said although I have so many chores to do home I have to try again and go back for the sixth time..
This hunt started different with the first target a small medal then a few coins and later this beautiful recovery.After a slow start this season my friends told me to keep trying and I would be rewarded
Wow! What a find! 1803 gold 40 Francs is pretty rare. Premier Consul Bonaparte, before he proclaimed himself Emperor Napoleon the first. Banner all the way!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for the privilege of your time..it’s the first time I ever received a Banner Vote
And rewarded you have been bill !! that is just an incredible gold coin !!
It is a strange bezel! Has Napoleon got any connection to sharks, or did the unlucky owner just like them?
I went back to the place where I usually recover a little gold and silver for the sixth time this season ..After a slow start which is not typical I was about waist deep in the water and the Excal2 that I got from you (Kellyco) hit it ..Thanks

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the fabulous looking gold coin in the shark bezel. :occasion14:
Now where's that Banner button?
It's a top shelf recovery needing to be on the top of the site as well.
Pepperj..Thank You so much..it’s a special recovery for me after water hunting for so many years

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a perfect example of hard work pays off, WoW thats a beautiful coin in good condition Hats off to you
Mark Thank You it is a special recovery for me and I will try to get back out there again soon.Good Luck on your next hunt

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I do see that 4...not sure what to think bill....still an incredible find...hope its gold....I still like my banner vote !!
Bart Thanks again for the nomination it’s such a honor for me..Today is my wedding anniversary so I have to get out there and get something nice.. Take Care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, I have to say that I am suspicious of the authenticity of the coin. The unnatural surface appearance caused me to take a closer look and I think that the serif on the cross-bar of the digit 4 gives it away. Here’s an authentic example together with an enlargement of the 4 alongside that from your coin.

View attachment 1982613

View attachment 1982614

On all authentic examples of this type that I have seen (irrespective of date and mint) that serif has an ‘up-tick’ at the end but not also a ‘down-tick’, as seen on yours.

In the 1970s there was an influx of counterfeits from both the Middle East and from Eastern Europe. Those were generally produced in gold, with the profit derived from their additional perceived numismatic value. Later fakes originating from China were gold plated but on a tungsten alloy core such that they were both the correct weight and also passed the magnet test as well as any surface metal chemical test. To me it looks like one of the latter.

Just my opinion, of course.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart Thanks again for the nomination it’s such a honor for me..Today is my wedding anniversary so I have to get out there and get something nice.. Take Care
Take it to a coin shop or jeweler and tell them you would like to see if coin is real gold, that you might be interested in selling. Don't need to be serious about selling, just make them think you are.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, I have to say that I am suspicious of the authenticity of the coin. The unnatural surface appearance caused me to take a closer look and I think that the serif on the cross-bar of the digit 4 gives it away. Here’s an authentic example together with an enlargement of the 4 alongside that from your coin.

View attachment 1982613

View attachment 1982614

On all authentic examples of this type that I have seen (irrespective of date and mint) that serif has an ‘up-tick’ at the end but not also a ‘down-tick’, as seen on yours.

In the 1970s there was an influx of counterfeits from both the Middle East and from Eastern Europe. Those were generally produced in gold, with the profit derived from their additional perceived numismatic value. Later fakes originating from China were gold plated but on a tungsten alloy core such that they were both the correct weight and also passed the magnet test as well as any surface metal chemical test. To me it looks like one of the latter.

Just my opinion, of course.
Red-Coat. Thank you for your reply.When I left the jeweler he told me that he would be interested in purchasing it

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a coin shop or jeweler and tell them you would like to see if coin is real gold, that you might be interested in selling. Don't need to be serious about selling, just make them think you are.
Hi I’m in the parking lot of the jeweler .I followed your advice and had it tested. He said that the coin is 22k and the bezel is 14k
Please let me know if you received my message as I sent a few not sure if I’m sending correctly Thanks again for the privilege of your time

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I’m in the parking lot of the jeweler .I followed your advice and had it tested. He said that the coin is 22k and the bezel is 14k
Please let me know if you received my message as I sent a few not sure if I’m sending correctly Thanks again for the privilege of your time

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're DOUBLY blessed, then....!
Great Finds.....!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I do see that 4...not sure what to think bill....still an incredible find...hope its gold....I still like my banner vote !!
Bart Hi I just left the jeweler..Good News he tested the coin 22k and bezel 14k..
Thank You again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread