🥇 BANNER My Best Water Hunt 1804 AN12 A Napoleon Bonaparte Gold Coin Encircled in 14k Pendant

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D2A75C55-705C-4DBB-9B4E-F73BAB692787.jpeg 0C64B5BA-D8B3-4A82-A967-F809F52EEAF5.jpeg

Charged the Excal2 and said although I have so many chores to do home I have to try again and go back for the sixth time..
This hunt started different with the first target a small medal then a few coins and later this beautiful recovery.After a slow start this season my friends told me to keep trying and I would be rewarded

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 80
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly, I have to say that I am suspicious of the authenticity of the coin. The unnatural surface appearance caused me to take a closer look and I think that the serif on the cross-bar of the digit 4 gives it away. Here’s an authentic example together with an enlargement of the 4 alongside that from your coin.

View attachment 1982613

View attachment 1982614

On all authentic examples of this type that I have seen (irrespective of date and mint) that serif has an ‘up-tick’ at the end but not also a ‘down-tick’, as seen on yours.

In the 1970s there was an influx of counterfeits from both the Middle East and from Eastern Europe. Those were generally produced in gold, with the profit derived from their additional perceived numismatic value. Later fakes originating from China were gold plated but on a tungsten alloy core such that they were both the correct weight and also passed the magnet test as well as any surface metal chemical test. To me it looks like one of the latter.

Just my opinion, of course.
Thanks for the reply-I had a jeweler test it and he found that it is 22k ..I’m so happy
Take care

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply-I had a jeweler test it and he found that it is 22k ..I’m so happy
Take care
That's great, but the issue remains about whether the coin is genuine (I'm sure it isn't) since that would add substantially to the value. As I said, the earlier spate of counterfeits (c.1970s) for these coins were in gold and then more recently on base metal cores with gold-plating.

I wouldn't trust the average jeweller to also be numismatically competent enough to judge the authenticity of a French 19th Century coin.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great, but the issue remains about whether the coin is genuine (I'm sure it isn't) since that would add substantially to the value. As I said, the earlier spate of counterfeits (c.1970s) for these coins were in gold and then more recently on base metal cores with gold-plating.

I wouldn't trust the average jeweller to also be numismatically competent enough to judge the authenticity of a French 19th Century coin.
Red-Coat you can not continue to call his find fake with out proof, please produce proof to mods or stop calling it fake, it violates our rules.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat you can not continue to call his find fake with out proof, please produce proof or stop calling it fake, it violates our rules.
Yes, I'm aware of the rules but it's really difficult to draw attention to the pointers for non-authenticity without falling foul of the rules. I think it only fair to offer an opinion that there are aspects of the coin which do not look right and recommend that a numismatist (not a jeweller) should check.

As I pointed out in post #36 (qv), the surface appearance looks very suspicious and - compared to the authentic example I pictured (and other genuine examples) - the serifs on the '4' are wrong. I don't know whether that constitutes 'proof', but certainly those are 'red flags'. I'll leave it at that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'm aware of the rules but it's really difficult to draw attention to the pointers for non-authenticity without falling foul of the rules. I think it only fair to offer an opinion that there are aspects of the coin which do not look right and recommend that a numismatist (not a jeweller) should check.

As I pointed out in post #36 (qv), the surface appearance looks very suspicious and - compared to the authentic example I pictured (and other genuine examples) - the serifs on the '4' are wrong. I don't know whether that constitutes 'proof', but certainly those are 'red flags'. I'll leave it at that.
As I said if you can produce proof it is fake then please send it to a mod, but you can not continue to violate our rules. You have already expressed your opinion several times and I allowed it to remain.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billb, Beauty of a gold find.
Bill thank you many many times I go out and sometimes find nothing or just a few pennies and sometimes perhaps a gold or silver ring over the years..Thankfully my friends on this site after a slow start kept telling me to stay with it and don’t be discouraged..I hope your next outing gives you beautiful rewards…take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent you reply.
Red-Coat you can not continue to call his find fake with out proof, please produce proof to mods or stop calling it fake, it violates our rules.
Thanks to all who stopped here To take a few moments to share their comments and opinions on my best recovery..I had it tested and to have almost 13 grams of 22k and over 9 grams of 14k gold in one scoop is a major accomplishment for me..
My friends here kept telling me to get out there and don’t give up and it’s true…wishing you the best of luck in your next outing

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who stopped here To take a few moments to share their comments and opinions on my best recovery..I had it tested and to have almost 13 grams of 22k and over 9 grams of 14k gold in one scoop is a major accomplishment for me..
My friends here kept telling me to get out there and don’t give up and it’s true…wishing you the best of luck in your next outing

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to speak with you today Bill, and the story behind the find just blew me away! Congratulations again, and my Banner Vote is in. :hello2:

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to speak with you today Bill, and the story behind the find just blew me away! Congratulations again, and my Banner Vote is in. :hello2:
Thank you always for your motivation and advice and comments ..After going out there over and over thru the years to find all that gold in my scoop it’s just so hard to believe..Best of Luck on your next outing…

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you always for your motivation and advice and comments ..After going out there over and over thru the years to find all that gold in my scoop it’s just so hard to believe..Best of Luck on your next outing…

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I
Wow nice hit... well done.
ARC. Thank you so so much it’s always great to hear from you..This is my best recovery I had it tested and for me finding close to 13 grams of 22k and over 9 grams of 14k gold in one scoop is a major achievement ..I’m still shocked..
That morning before I left the house I was standing on the porch and a large Monarch Butterfly started to circle me over and over then landed on my sock opening and closing its wings many times before it flew away.I have to thank again all my friends here for their opinions advice and comments Together although we all are many many miles apart our journey forward remains the same as search for that elusive pot of gold.Take care and time for some rum
Wow nice hit... well done.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I

ARC. Thank you so so much it’s always great to hear from you..This is my best recovery I had it tested and for me finding close to 13 grams of 22k and over 9 grams of 14k gold in one scoop is a major achievement ..I’m still shocked..
That morning before I left the house I was standing on the porch and a large Monarch Butterfly started to circle me over and over then landed on my sock opening and closing its wings many times before it flew away.I have to thank again all my friends here for their opinions advice and comments Together although we all are many many miles apart our journey forward remains the same as search for that elusive pot of gold.Take care and time for some rum

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man that's really nice. congrats!
Thank you Whenever I come home with more then I left with is exciting and thankfully I was told here to not be disappointed and stay at it
Take care

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Find...!:icon_thumright:

....(has anyone been able to nominate this lucky guy, the Banner Award...?)
Thank you ..I never thought I would ever recover something like this .I hope your next hunt is very rewarding Take care

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions