How can you tell if something is silver?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a homesite on my farm that burned to the ground 40 years ago.I have found all sorts of metals that have been melted from the fire and i want to know if they are silver.Some pieces feel light and some feel heavy.The ones that feel heavy I have scratched with a knife and some shiny metal is revealed. I know lead will look shiny with a knive cut but so will silver.Any help with my question?
Thanks HB

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Silver has that special look to it a coin collector can tell right off the bat.... but in this saturation its hard to tell due to the fire. Have any pictures? Try to clean it as best as possible.

RD

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hill Billy said:
I have a homesite on my farm that burned to the ground 40 years ago.I have found all sorts of metals that have been melted from the fire and i want to know if they are silver.Some pieces feel light and some feel heavy.The ones that feel heavy I have scratched with a knife and some shiny metal is revealed. I know lead will look shiny with a knive cut but so will silver.Any help with my question?
Thanks HB
Taste it ummmmm..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can apply a drop of Nitric acid to the scratch or a drop of Dichromate Solution to the scratch and if it bubbles red up a bright red color you have silver. No other white metal reacts this way. Don't get any of the acids on your hands and don't breathe the fumes......... :o :o :o

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ok a little light humor especially after seeing the name you use..... ;D ;D ;D

This test is called the hillbilly test.....

1. Take item to be tested and grip between fingers.

2. open mouth wide....

3. Bite down hard on object being tested...

4. If chocolate squirts out it is not real silver.... ;D :D.....it your teeth crack or fall out yeah...you found silver! :D

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm on my way to the dentist to stop the bleeding.4 teeth fell out.Why did I listen to you? Hill Billy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA! Chemical test is probably the most surefire way. Good luck, HB, and keep in touch.

Will

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Hill Billy said:
I'm on my way to the dentist to stop the bleeding.4 teeth fell out.Why did I listen to you? Hill Billy

Hey buddie glad to see you have a sense of humor! ;D ;) Unless it is stamped...I am clueless! ;D

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Sandman said:
You can apply a drop of Nitric acid to the scratch or a drop of Dichromate Solution to the scratch and if it bubbles red up a bright red color you have silver. No other white metal reacts this way. Don't get any of the acids on your hands and don't breathe the fumes......... :o :o :o
learn something new everyday. :)

lFoundlInlOhiol

Jun 29, 2007
Tennesee...(from Ohio)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
DFX-Gregg said:
Ok a little light humor especially after seeing the name you use..... ;D ;D ;D

This test is called the hillbilly test.....

1. Take item to be tested and grip between fingers.

2. open mouth wide....

3. Bite down hard on object being tested...

4. If chocolate squirts out it is not real silver.... ;D :D.....it your teeth crack or fall out yeah...you found silver! :D
And you might be a ''Redneck''

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send it to one of us and we will let you know!!!! ;D :D

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with getting it tested. I found part of a bar that I really hoped was pure silver. It was heavy, oxidized on the outside and shiny silver looking when scraped with a knife. Turned out to be a partial bar of lead.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO: Sorry for being so late but try this for a simple and relatively accurate test.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Metal testing soloution.jpg
    Metal testing soloution.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,316

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
RD66 said:
Sandman said:
learn something new everyday. :)

tell me about it......Can anyone obtain these chemicals readily?,where can you buy them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread