What's new

MY BUDDY FOUND A 1795 FLOWING HAIR DOLLAR

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to share this with you guys.

I honestly tried to make him set up an account, but he has no time for forums. He told me to share this with you guys, and he's hoping for a rough grading. Please and thank you!

The gent that found this coin, is a hard working man. He doesn't have a lot of time for detecting. He loves the hobby, but times are tough in my part of Canada. A guy has to work, even if it means going through terrible back pain on a daily basis, without the use of painkillers. He's a family man, and a good one at that. I hope that down the road, he can find some time for what he loves, detecting.

I'm beyond ecstatic for him. It couldn't go to a more deserving man. :icon_thumright:
-------

He found this beauty not far from the Saint John river, in the woods (AT Pro). It was near an old trail, and when he first hit it, it sounded like a soda can. Shallow and big. He walked right past it, as there was a few beer cans around. But after finding a few early 1900's coins, he thought to himself, I better go back and dig that. Boy, is he ever glad that he did. :)



2m6mo7q.jpg


2n8wp3.jpg


335e35u.jpg


90y8tl.jpg



Happy hunting.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 94
Oh Good Lord ! That may be the most beautiful coin I've ever seen posted up here . That's probably a 4-$5,000 coin
maybe more ? Obviously if this was your find we would blow this site out of the water with Banner votes . I remember
a 1794 half dollar being posted here years ago , I don't remember seeing the dollar posted here before - STUNNING !
 
congrats to your friend. What a beautiful coin . :occasion14:
 
Oh Good Lord ! That may be the most beautiful coin I've ever seen posted up here . That's probably a 4-$5,000 coin
maybe more ? Obviously if this was your find we would blow this site out of the water with Banner votes . I remember
a 1794 half dollar being posted here years ago , I don't remember seeing the dollar posted here before - STUNNING !

Thanks Argentium, I will share this info with him.

As for the banner, I couldn't steal his thunder. He told me to, haha, but it is not my style!

He thought it was only worth 2 K. Jesus, he will definitely send it away for grading now. :)
 
Holy :censored: that is an amazing coin . Sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person . Tell him that is a coin most people dream of but never see :notworthy::occasion14:
 
Gio , Slow down - I blabbered about what the value "MIGHT" be , I'm not an expert numismatist by any means , I took a quick look at
my 2015 Redbook of U.S. Coins - and I kind of tossed up numbers between the F. grade and the VF. grade . I apologize to you and
your buddy if I got his hopes up too high - I was very high on the rush of seeing this Amazing Coin - I may have jumped the gun on
those numbers . It is without question one of the finest coins I've ever seen posted here !
 
Awesome find! Great shape too!!
 
Argentium, all is good my friend. He's asleep, hehe. :laughing7:

I agree, it is an amazing coin!
 
Awesome find. Never saw one of those before. That's a very financially benefiting coin.:thumbsup:
 
I just looked this coin up on a "coin collecting" web site. It stated that in "poor" condition it was worth over 1K. Said that something like only 160,000 were produced. Your friend may have found a real winner there.
 
I can't wait to see what the coin heavy weights have to say about this one (variety /condition ,etc.)
 
Gio , Slow down - I blabbered about what the value "MIGHT" be , I'm not an expert numismatist by any means , I took a quick look at
my 2015 Redbook of U.S. Coins - and I kind of tossed up numbers between the F. grade and the VF. grade . I apologize to you and
your buddy if I got his hopes up too high - I was very high on the rush of seeing this Amazing Coin - I may have jumped the gun on
those numbers . It is without question one of the finest coins I've ever seen posted here !

You might not be too far off either! I don't think you can go by the book on some of these. Depends on who grades it, and where it's sold etc....I'm not even close to an expert! I've seen thousands of coins, and I don't think I've ever seen one. that I remember!I've seen 99's! That doesn't mean anything either, but they don't show up often. I don't think ultra rare but not common at all! So price could swing in big numbers depending on grade, who grades it and how it's sold. Just my guess! I could be full of nonsense too!:laughing7:
 
oh yeah... in Can. $ I think that's 5k range. Quite a coin.
 
Thanks Argentium, I will share this info with him.

As for the banner, I couldn't steal his thunder. He told me to, haha, but it is not my style!

He thought it was only worth 2 K. Jesus, he will definitely send it away for grading now. :)


Grading will decrease it.
 
Gio , Slow down - I blabbered about what the value "MIGHT" be , I'm not an expert numismatist by any means , I took a quick look at
my 2015 Redbook of U.S. Coins - and I kind of tossed up numbers between the F. grade and the VF. grade . I apologize to you and
your buddy if I got his hopes up too high - I was very high on the rush of seeing this Amazing Coin - I may have jumped the gun on
those numbers . It is without question one of the finest coins I've ever seen posted here !


I didn't compare to anything but I think you're exactly right... or at least close enough to give it a relative value.
 
Wow that is the best coin I have ever seen dug... And in freaking Canada!!! Insane
 
Thanks IP. I'm sure he will take his time with it. He mentioned just holding onto it, but he has been wanting a Minelab detector for years. Tempting, I'm sure.

If it was me and the price was right, I'd sell. Haha
 
What's pretty wild is this is not the first. One dug in Nova Scotia several years back.
 
What's pretty wild is this is not the first. One dug in Nova Scotia several years back.

Wow! That is wild!

I picture a wealthy drunken guy from Boston, coming back to visit relatives scattered across our area.... losing coins all over the place. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom