What's new

MY BUDDY FOUND A 1795 FLOWING HAIR DOLLAR

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to share this with you guys.

I honestly tried to make him set up an account, but he has no time for forums. He told me to share this with you guys, and he's hoping for a rough grading. Please and thank you!

The gent that found this coin, is a hard working man. He doesn't have a lot of time for detecting. He loves the hobby, but times are tough in my part of Canada. A guy has to work, even if it means going through terrible back pain on a daily basis, without the use of painkillers. He's a family man, and a good one at that. I hope that down the road, he can find some time for what he loves, detecting.

I'm beyond ecstatic for him. It couldn't go to a more deserving man. :icon_thumright:
-------

He found this beauty not far from the Saint John river, in the woods (AT Pro). It was near an old trail, and when he first hit it, it sounded like a soda can. Shallow and big. He walked right past it, as there was a few beer cans around. But after finding a few early 1900's coins, he thought to himself, I better go back and dig that. Boy, is he ever glad that he did. :)



2m6mo7q.jpg


2n8wp3.jpg


335e35u.jpg


90y8tl.jpg



Happy hunting.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 94
Thanks IP. I'm sure he will take his time with it. He mentioned just holding onto it, but he has been wanting a Minelab detector for years. Tempting, I'm sure.

If it was me and the price was right, I'd sell. Haha


I can see how that would be tempting.... but think about these two things...

1) He found that with the detector he is using!

2) Why sell the best thing you will probably ever find. I'd sooner grind my way to buy the Minelab by any means possible and keep the find.


...but with that said, I can certainly see the benefit of a payday like that, and actually have done it myself. I just see things different now based on experience and knowing how fast the money goes, and the story is never as good without showing the find! Then again, a good picture and 5k can be appealing to some. :)
 
OK , That does it , I'm moving to Canada tonight ! (It's high time I got my fair share of Vicky Silvers , and U.S. Flowing Hair Silvers !)
 
Ah, you make a good point, Iron Patch.

He's a wise man, that IP. :)
 
OK , That does it , I'm moving to Canada tonight ! (It's high time I got my fair share of Vicky Silvers , and U.S. Flowing Hair Silvers !)

Argentium, just move up until winter comes. Move back to AZ until end of April, and you're golden!
 
Ah, you make a good point, Iron Patch.

He's a wise man, that IP. :)


But if he does sell I definitely agree with spending at least some of the money and buying yourself something nice. I bought a watch with my rare newfie token. I wasn't going to sell but the thing had a crack in it, and not really being able to seal it well, I looked at it as being a high rick to keep. a 1795 dollar ... yeah that one looks solid enough. :)
 
Gio , I'm not like these folks here in AZ . I was born in Montana very near Canada actually (Libby ,Montana) Spent time on
an Icebreaker on the Great Lakes in the U.S. Coast Guard in the 70's - Not trying to high jack your thread , just sayin - the
cold is never my problem - just gimmee some Goose down and I'm happy (and a good single malt ! )
 
Gio , I'm not like these folks here in AZ . I was born in Montana very near Canada actually (Libby ,Montana) Spent time on
an Icebreaker on the Great Lakes in the U.S. Coast Guard in the 70's - Not trying to high jack your thread , just sayin - the
cold is never my problem - just gimmee some Goose down and I'm happy (and a good single malt ! )

It sounds like you could handle the mid-January coastal hunt. That's about the only place we can hunt in the deep freeze. It is nice to have that option, although I have only done it a couple of times. Brrr....
 
I don't even know what to say, except tell your friend thanks for letting us see this coin! Wow, what a find!
 
That is a awesome coin. Tell your friend congratulations on a super find .
 
Congrats to your friend for a find that most of us will never see outside of a book. Phenomenal.

Steve
 
Wow your buddy must be very happy that would be a banner find for sure congrats to him.....:icon_thumright:
 
Wow Gio!!
Tell your friend Big Congrats!
The story you wrote about him I have alot of respect for him as you do. I love to hear storys like this.
And that coin is Incredible.
George
 
Jeez, my eyes stuck so far out of my head when i saw that dollar they almost knocked my glasses off!!

Give your bud a pat on the back for finding an amazing coin, it's awesome!
 
MR.GREEK THE COIN FIND IS NEAT. CONGRATS.
 



Probably not a whole lot of point looking at a 2 leaves AU, but the bottom link with the 3 leaves VF is a pretty decent guideline. As long as that price is in the usual range, which I assume it likely is. Sure would be great to wake up the next morning and it was not a dream! :)
 
Congratulations on the beautiful coin recovery!
 
Looking at this website for grading (I don't have my Photograde book with me) How To Grade Flowing Silver Dollars - Picture Grade Comparison Chart, it grades a solid VG-10. Checking the PCGS site for population and values (PcgsCoinFacts.com : Your Online Reference for U.S. Coins), it books at US$3,250, with auction results ranging from US$2,585 to US$3,290.

Very nice find!

Scott


If it's a solid VG-10 than I think if it was mine I'd be looking at the high end of the auction range, which in Can. $ adds about a grand... so a pretty good score.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom