What's new

MY BUDDY FOUND A 1795 FLOWING HAIR DOLLAR

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2009
Messages
1,284
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to share this with you guys.

I honestly tried to make him set up an account, but he has no time for forums. He told me to share this with you guys, and he's hoping for a rough grading. Please and thank you!

The gent that found this coin, is a hard working man. He doesn't have a lot of time for detecting. He loves the hobby, but times are tough in my part of Canada. A guy has to work, even if it means going through terrible back pain on a daily basis, without the use of painkillers. He's a family man, and a good one at that. I hope that down the road, he can find some time for what he loves, detecting.

I'm beyond ecstatic for him. It couldn't go to a more deserving man. :icon_thumright:
-------

He found this beauty not far from the Saint John river, in the woods (AT Pro). It was near an old trail, and when he first hit it, it sounded like a soda can. Shallow and big. He walked right past it, as there was a few beer cans around. But after finding a few early 1900's coins, he thought to himself, I better go back and dig that. Boy, is he ever glad that he did. :)



2m6mo7q.jpg


2n8wp3.jpg


335e35u.jpg


90y8tl.jpg



Happy hunting.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 94
Bolender-5 ,(or BB-5) variety. Very common, But one of "my dream finds"! Banner and congrats.......................Hogge
 
I guess this post wouldn't be sinking like a stone down the page into obscurity -if you had made this amazing find , rather than
your buddy .( bump up !)
 
Don't know how I missed this post earilier!!! Thank you for sharing his incredible dig. Look at the condition of that coin, looks like it was dropped the day after it was minted, just incredible. Here's to hoping your friend's luck continues to improve :occasion14:
 
IP,

I agree....the raw coin appears to be an F grade to my eye given the wear on the hair and eagle....a grading service would state it's been cleaned or suffered environmental damage....which certainly wouldn't add anything to the value other than stating that it's authentic.

Regards + HH

Bill




Grading will decrease it.
 
Wow what an amazing find. Sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person.
 
Good golly Miss Molly!!! What an incredible find! Don't ever remember seeing one of those posted here, or anywhere for that matter. Please let us know how the grading turns out, and I hope he doesn't sell it as it'll very likely be the best thing he ever digs.
 
Great find and I'm loving that it was up here in Canada! If it was me it may have crossed my mind for a second to put my buddy in the hole it came out of and claimed it. Just joking. I know a guy that got a half dollar like it at a site thats a long walk back a path near me. I want to go back there bad but it has to be spring and last spring here was a total write off. Your buddy must be psyched over that find! [emoji106]
 
Amazing find....more than likely once in a lifetime find there....now to get one for you!!
 
Gio... A big congrats to your friend on a beautiful and awesome find! Also, thanks for sharing it with us!

I disagree that the coin would grade at VG-10! I believe that the Obverse teters on the low edge of a F-12 and the Reverse appears to be an F-15 and due to the coin's rarity even though a common Variety, PCGS often tends to give a bump up in grade on rare coins. Therefore, due to the Reverse being what I believe is an F-15, they may bump the grade up for this coin to a solid F-15. If the coin receives a F-15 grade, then it is quite possible that it would fetch between $4,500 and $4,750 at auction but on a good day, it could possibly fetch more.


Frank
 
Amazing find....more than likely once in a lifetime find there....now to get one for you!!

From your fingertips, to god's ears, let it be so. :laughing7:
 
huntsman,

I agree.... also given the minimal wear on the outer details on both sides should give it an overall F grade.

Regards + HH

Bill

Gio... A big congrats to your friend on a beautiful and awesome find! Also, thanks for sharing it with us!

I disagree that the coin would grade at VG-10! I believe that the Obverse teters on the low edge of a F-12 and the Reverse appears to be an F-15 and due to the coin's rarity even though a common Variety, PCGS often tends to give a bump up in grade on rare coins. Therefore, due to the Reverse being what I believe is an F-15, they may bump the grade up for this coin to a solid F-15. If the coin receives a F-15 grade, then it is quite possible that it would fetch between $4,500 and $4,750 at auction but on a good day, it could possibly fetch more.


Frank
 
Awesome, awesome find :occasion14::occasion14::occasion14:
 
Great find & shows why you should clear crap, I forget how many times I've thought the same thing.

No idea why he would lose money on grading it!
 
Great find & shows why you should clear crap, I forget how many times I've thought the same thing.

No idea why he would lose money on grading it!

He won't! The coin only cost him his time, the use of his' metal detector and what gas it took to get there and back home, otherwise it was free. I am not sure what PCGS charges for certification, grading and Variety attribution anymore but it should not be much over $60 which is well worth the cost of being able to sell the coin as a genuine 1795 Flowing Hair "3 Leaves - Bolender 5 Variety" Silver Dollar. Also, by having it certified, graded and attributed by PCGS, pretty much guarantees that the coin will fetch a better price than a similarly graded coin that is certified, graded and attributed by NGC.


Frank
 
huntsman53 , Are you saying that P.C.G.S. would not body bag it as an "environmentally damaged " , or "dug condition " ?
that's probably more to be feared here ,than any cost of having it graded/slabbed. I agree that if the owner decides he wants
to cash it out , an authenticated , graded , certified , coin would probably realize more $$$$$$$.
 
huntsman53 , Are you saying that P.C.G.S. would not body bag it as an "environmentally damaged " , or "dug condition " ?
that's probably more to be feared here ,than any cost of having it graded/slabbed. I agree that if the owner decides he wants
to cash it out , an authenticated , graded , certified , coin would probably realize more $$$$$$$.

I don't think so but I could be wrong! I have seen worse submitted to PCGS and they weren't body bagged. Gio's friend need not tell them that the coin was dug. It is possible they might body bag it due to the rim dings but they aren't bad and these might be somewhat overlooked due to the rarity of the coin. Also, PCGS features a couple of 1795 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar on Coinfacts that appear to have slight rim dings and some slight rim damage. There is even a "2 Leave" graded MS-65 that appears that it was hit with a wire brush on the Obverse http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/6853?redir=t (what's up with that and how did it get that grade?) and appears to be Post Mint damage. If the damage was done at the Mint, I don't see how that it had anything to do with the Obverse Die!


Frank
 
Last edited:
Congrats to your buddy on such an incredible find! That is one beautiful coin! Thanks for sharing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom