What's new

My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

gtoast99

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
571
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Yesterday was Day 1 of my very first “Diggin’ in Virginia” event. My White’s DFX and SEF coil were humming along, and I had a few bullets in my pocket already when I met up with a guy I carpooled with from North Carolina. We sat out on the field on a beautiful fall day eating our lunch. I was simply loving life. Jim got a call from another friend of his who wanted to hunt a spot together, so we finished up our food and started further north.

When we got there, we found the hill we wanted to hit covered in GPX’s and TDI’s, and pockmarked with dig holes. We went down to the base of the hill, and both started picking up some more lead. After a time, I heard a guy up on that hill saying that he just pulled an Eagle I button. Well, despite the number of dug holes up there, if there are still finds that’s where I want to be. So I meandered my way up to the crest of that little hill overlooking the pond.

The signal itself wasn’t even very good. I would find out that several pieces of iron in and around the hole were masking the target underneath. But using a VLF at DIV, you learn to dig the worst little blips, and this was certainly a better signal than some others that produced bullets. So I dug, hoping for another piece of lead. But what I saw when I moved the clay was gorgeous green brass. I knew right away what it was. What I was looking at in the bottom of the hole, just a few inches deep in a field riddled with dig holes, was the back of a tongue from a tongue and wreath buckle. I let out an exclamation not suitable for polite company.

I very carefully worked around it, loosening the clay. I wish I had taken an in-situ photograph or some video, but I was beyond excited to recover my first plate. I didn’t expect to find one, but I really wasn’t ready for what came next. When I pulled out the tongue for the first time in 150 years, and turned it over, I was presented with the figure of Virtus over the slain tyrant – the Virginia state seal. I repeated my exclamation.

Another gentleman called over to see what I’d found. I wanted to speak, but no words came. My heart raced, my breathing was erratic. I walked over, the buckle in my outstretched hand. I dropped to my knees, and sat down. I was shaking. It was an overwhelming experience like no other. Before too long there was a crowd, and several of the hunt organizers came to photograph the find. (It’s worth noting that my hunting partner used the lull in detecting activity to clean up on bullets!)

As if that wasn’t enough, here’s where it gets really cool. Out of the crowd, another digger (Greg) walks up and asks to see the tongue. Then he pulled out a small piece of brass, and laid it next to the broken loop on my buckle – a perfect fit. He had dug it earlier in the morning on that same hill. I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he told me they deserved to be together, and I could have it. What a guy!! I tried to pay for it, but he insisted. I will still find some way to do something for him though; he deserved it for that kind of generosity.

I still can’t really believe what I found. To think about the officer who lost that so long ago gives me chills. I haven’t cleaned it at all except running it under water, and I don’t intend to without hiring a professional restoration. I will display it proudly in my case at home, along with a VA seal button I was fortunate enough to dig back home in October. I am truly blessed beyond what I deserve, and give thanks to God for this find of a lifetime.

Sorry for the longwinded story. Cleaned pics are coming. Be sure to look for it an upcoming issue of North South Trader and/or American Digger. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

UPDATED: slightly cleaner pic
 

Attachments

  • virginia tongue.webp
    virginia tongue.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 6,759
  • divfindsall3days.webp
    divfindsall3days.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 4,922
  • divfield1.webp
    divfield1.webp
    89.6 KB · Views: 4,879
  • day2view.webp
    day2view.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 4,815
  • VA white small.webp
    VA white small.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,656
Upvote 14
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

mustang8780 said:
Tony, I wish i got a plate bud...you would have known for sure riding with me and all...I will get one someday...but not at this last hunt. Hopefully at relic rescue!
Awesome digs bud, cant wait to get that American Digger...I will prod Butch at the Minelab test to make sure i see it!

Oops, guess I heard wrong. Soon, good luck at RR!!

Woodland Detectors said:
Congrats Tony on making the Banner my friend. I knew it would make it... I'll be real close your way Friday digging. Take it easy Man :icon_thumright:

I can be free Friday ;) LOL
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Huge congrats for such an outstanding relic find!!!!! :headbang: :notworthy: :icon_thumright: Definitely belongs on the banner! :thumbsup:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

That is an amazing find congrats :hello2:


My vote is in :thumbsup:

Blaze
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Way to go Tony!! Can't wait to see it up close. :icon_pirat:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

AWESOME SAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congratulations on the find & making banner buddy!!! :headbang:

We'll have to get together again soon and find some places to hunt. I'm going to check out the "river" soon, so maybe that'll be an option. Only bad thing is it's a fairly long drive.... But who knows, it may be worth it. I'll scout it out and see if I think it's worthwhile....
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Thanks man! I'm looking forward to the river hunt! I'll be happy to go with even on a scouting trip, no expectations just a fun trip out there. But I understand if you want first dibs on your own site without me around HAHA.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

gtoast99 said:
Thanks man! I'm looking forward to the river hunt! I'll be happy to go with even on a scouting trip, no expectations just a fun trip out there. But I understand if you want first dibs on your own site without me around HAHA.

With your luck, if there's something there, you'll find it. Of course, with your luck if there is only one good thing in there, you'll find it! :laughing7:

It's a pretty big site, it may take a couple of us to scout it out...
I may make a first scouting run, but you'll get a chance.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congratulations on the banner find... Thanks for the story & pics!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

umrgolf said:
Only the 3rd 4th confederate state buckle ive seen posted in the last 3-4 years (aside from Peles' SC tongue, the guy who posted the VSS buckle, and MMs NC buckle)

I imagine you'll have offers close to $5000 given where it was found.

Banner vote here too

:'(
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

kyphote said:
umrgolf said:
Only the 3rd 4th confederate state buckle ive seen posted in the last 3-4 years (aside from Peles' SC tongue, the guy who posted the VSS buckle, and MMs NC buckle)

I imagine you'll have offers close to $5000 given where it was found.

Banner vote here too

:'(

LOL, nice tongue in your avatar, too!
Well, regardless of the exact number, point is Civil War buckles aren't common. And of those, confederate buckles aren't common. And of those, state buckles aren't common.

I couldn't help but post this picture. It's a reproduction VA seal belt buckle with the same tongue as mine. That repro was cast from the belt buckle of Robert E. Lee himself. TOO COOL
 

Attachments

  • MVC-469S.webp
    MVC-469S.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 3,359
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Incredible find!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

I can't help but wonder, what messed up this buckle? Was it a plow blade, or something more morbid like a bullet or shrapnel? The unfound loop of that portion of the buckle could be buried in it's owner.

Can the owner possibly be narrowed down by looking at what Virginia units fought there and which units lost officers? That must have been an expensive buckle that most men could not afford and most men of means were usually higher ranked.

Also, could the position you show of the belt piece be reversed? Judging from the bend out of the torn edges, I would think it should that be the upper loop?

Great find!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

badluck said:
I can't help but wonder, what messed up this buckle? Was it a plow blade, or something more morbid like a bullet or shrapnel? The unfound loop of that portion of the buckle could be buried in it's owner.

Can the owner possibly be narrowed down by looking at what Virginia units fought there and which units lost officers? That must have been an expensive buckle that most men could not afford and most men of means were usually higher ranked.

Also, could the position you show of the belt piece be reversed? Judging from the bend out of the torn edges, I would think it should that be the upper loop?

Great find!

My guess would be plow blade. It was found in a Union camp. There was enough Confederate activity in the area that I suppose it *could* have simply been lost by a Confederate, but I don't think that's the case. There were a lot of Union relics recovered there, and I don't recall seeing anything else Confederate. Therefore, I believe it was most likely a souvenir taken from a Virginia casualty and then lost in the Union camp. Because both parts were in the same field, they would have been lost together. If the buckle had broken before being lost, and then taken back to the Union camp, we wouldn't have found the other piece. There were still a lot of signals on that hill at the end of day 3. I'd guess the wreath and missing loop are still there (unless they were found on previous hunts on the ridge).

I agree that it would have been a higher ranking officer. Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to narrow down the list very much. It was a long term winter camp, and the buckle could have been taken from a casualty any time before that.

I believe it's the bottom loop. If you notice on the top of the tongue, there is a corner missing. I don't see any indication on the broken loop piece where it broke from the bar where the corner is missing. But I could be wrong about that, I wouldn't bet the farm that I'm correct, just my best guess.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

gtoast99 said:
kyphote said:
umrgolf said:
Only the 3rd 4th confederate state buckle ive seen posted in the last 3-4 years (aside from Peles' SC tongue, the guy who posted the VSS buckle, and MMs NC buckle)

I imagine you'll have offers close to $5000 given where it was found.

Banner vote here too

:'(

LOL, nice tongue in your avatar, too!
Well, regardless of the exact number, point is Civil War buckles aren't common. And of those, confederate buckles aren't common. And of those, state buckles aren't common.

I couldn't help but post this picture. It's a reproduction VA seal belt buckle with the same tongue as mine. That repro was cast from the belt buckle of Robert E. Lee himself. TOO COOL

Hold on while I discard my last tissue. Of the [how many?] CW submissions within the past 4 years, how many were state locals? Let's say the site has received 500,000 CW posts and only 5 local plates in the last 4 years. This means odds are .000008% that someone else will find one. Many of us are more likely to get struck by lightning or attacked by a shark before finding a CS local. For this reason, I think any shark attack or lightning strike caught on camera are worthy of banner post expecially if you have any kind of relic (even foil) in hand. I'd drop your foil in a lightning storm though. Just food for thought.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Incredible banner find - Congrats -

And what a rush to find a piece of history that amazing and that rare.

Makes me stop and think about the man who lost his life while wearing that.

This IS an amazing hobby

Laurie
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

kyphote said:
umrgolf said:
Only the 3rd 4th confederate state buckle ive seen posted in the last 3-4 years (aside from Peles' SC tongue, the guy who posted the VSS buckle, and MMs NC buckle)

I imagine you'll have offers close to $5000 given where it was found.

Banner vote here too

:'(

:laughing7: 4th 5th :headbang: sorry buddy, forgot about ya ;D
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Sorry I missed this till now,
Let my "Out damn standing" sit in here with the rest!!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Holey Cow Tony! :o What a stunning find! Even after a week of finding this relic, I'm sure you're still just as thrilled as the day you found it. Excellent hunt! Many congrats!

Nana :)
 
Congratulation Tony Awesome find. Was glad I was there when you dug it.

I am a day late and a dollar short. Congratulation on making the banner!!!! Good job.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom