What's new

My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

gtoast99

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
571
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Yesterday was Day 1 of my very first “Diggin’ in Virginia” event. My White’s DFX and SEF coil were humming along, and I had a few bullets in my pocket already when I met up with a guy I carpooled with from North Carolina. We sat out on the field on a beautiful fall day eating our lunch. I was simply loving life. Jim got a call from another friend of his who wanted to hunt a spot together, so we finished up our food and started further north.

When we got there, we found the hill we wanted to hit covered in GPX’s and TDI’s, and pockmarked with dig holes. We went down to the base of the hill, and both started picking up some more lead. After a time, I heard a guy up on that hill saying that he just pulled an Eagle I button. Well, despite the number of dug holes up there, if there are still finds that’s where I want to be. So I meandered my way up to the crest of that little hill overlooking the pond.

The signal itself wasn’t even very good. I would find out that several pieces of iron in and around the hole were masking the target underneath. But using a VLF at DIV, you learn to dig the worst little blips, and this was certainly a better signal than some others that produced bullets. So I dug, hoping for another piece of lead. But what I saw when I moved the clay was gorgeous green brass. I knew right away what it was. What I was looking at in the bottom of the hole, just a few inches deep in a field riddled with dig holes, was the back of a tongue from a tongue and wreath buckle. I let out an exclamation not suitable for polite company.

I very carefully worked around it, loosening the clay. I wish I had taken an in-situ photograph or some video, but I was beyond excited to recover my first plate. I didn’t expect to find one, but I really wasn’t ready for what came next. When I pulled out the tongue for the first time in 150 years, and turned it over, I was presented with the figure of Virtus over the slain tyrant – the Virginia state seal. I repeated my exclamation.

Another gentleman called over to see what I’d found. I wanted to speak, but no words came. My heart raced, my breathing was erratic. I walked over, the buckle in my outstretched hand. I dropped to my knees, and sat down. I was shaking. It was an overwhelming experience like no other. Before too long there was a crowd, and several of the hunt organizers came to photograph the find. (It’s worth noting that my hunting partner used the lull in detecting activity to clean up on bullets!)

As if that wasn’t enough, here’s where it gets really cool. Out of the crowd, another digger (Greg) walks up and asks to see the tongue. Then he pulled out a small piece of brass, and laid it next to the broken loop on my buckle – a perfect fit. He had dug it earlier in the morning on that same hill. I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he told me they deserved to be together, and I could have it. What a guy!! I tried to pay for it, but he insisted. I will still find some way to do something for him though; he deserved it for that kind of generosity.

I still can’t really believe what I found. To think about the officer who lost that so long ago gives me chills. I haven’t cleaned it at all except running it under water, and I don’t intend to without hiring a professional restoration. I will display it proudly in my case at home, along with a VA seal button I was fortunate enough to dig back home in October. I am truly blessed beyond what I deserve, and give thanks to God for this find of a lifetime.

Sorry for the longwinded story. Cleaned pics are coming. Be sure to look for it an upcoming issue of North South Trader and/or American Digger. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

UPDATED: slightly cleaner pic
 

Attachments

  • virginia tongue.webp
    virginia tongue.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 6,759
  • divfindsall3days.webp
    divfindsall3days.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 4,922
  • divfield1.webp
    divfield1.webp
    89.6 KB · Views: 4,879
  • day2view.webp
    day2view.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 4,815
  • VA white small.webp
    VA white small.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,656
Upvote 14
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

:headbang: Hey Tony, it didn't tkae long for news to spread thorugh the 400 plus attendees after you dug this buddy, and when I found out who it was that dug it, I was very pleased Congratu;ations on a very rare find..


That is a BANNER find all day long!

That tounge is valued about $3,000.00 in that condition. Great find
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congrats on a truely great find of a lifetime :icon_thumright: Banner!!!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Wow that's an awesome find indeed!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Great buckle! HH
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congrats on a great finds. And that was very nice for another hunter to give you the other piece. That is what DIV is all about. Everyone is like family and all are treated so nice. I really wish I could have made this one but I will be back in the spring. Again Congrats on a great find.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Amazing find my friend. Can't wait to see it cleaned
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Yeah,I'm sorry that I missed this one too :( That right there is probably a find of a lifetime,Beautiful Job!!!!! I'm putting my vote up for BANNER :icon_thumright: Great Great save!!!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Only the 3rd 4th confederate state buckle ive seen posted in the last 3-4 years (aside from Peles' SC tongue, the guy who posted the VSS buckle, and MMs NC buckle)

I imagine you'll have offers close to $5000 given where it was found.

Banner vote here too
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

That is a beautiful buckle! Going to be hard to top that find. Truly a find of a lifetime.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Great find. Clean that puppy up so you can get it up on top!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

WoW! I'm blown away and so happy for you. What a feeling. Congratulations!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Thats a Banner find every second of the day!!! :headbang: Congrats on your find of a lifetime :thumbsup: jgas
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Banner! WTG my friend! One of the rarest buckles displayed on TNET. Simply awesome! Congrats!
Mike :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

I imagine it will be up top before noon on Sunday
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Really awesome find!! congrats on doing what we all hope to do at DIV. I wish I was able to make this dig...maybe next time!! You will never forget this dig for sure.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

My Banner vote is put in...Great find...Congrats :icon_thumright:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

awesome find. congrats! :headbang:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Awesome find. Banner no doubt.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom