What's new

My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

gtoast99

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
571
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Yesterday was Day 1 of my very first “Diggin’ in Virginia” event. My White’s DFX and SEF coil were humming along, and I had a few bullets in my pocket already when I met up with a guy I carpooled with from North Carolina. We sat out on the field on a beautiful fall day eating our lunch. I was simply loving life. Jim got a call from another friend of his who wanted to hunt a spot together, so we finished up our food and started further north.

When we got there, we found the hill we wanted to hit covered in GPX’s and TDI’s, and pockmarked with dig holes. We went down to the base of the hill, and both started picking up some more lead. After a time, I heard a guy up on that hill saying that he just pulled an Eagle I button. Well, despite the number of dug holes up there, if there are still finds that’s where I want to be. So I meandered my way up to the crest of that little hill overlooking the pond.

The signal itself wasn’t even very good. I would find out that several pieces of iron in and around the hole were masking the target underneath. But using a VLF at DIV, you learn to dig the worst little blips, and this was certainly a better signal than some others that produced bullets. So I dug, hoping for another piece of lead. But what I saw when I moved the clay was gorgeous green brass. I knew right away what it was. What I was looking at in the bottom of the hole, just a few inches deep in a field riddled with dig holes, was the back of a tongue from a tongue and wreath buckle. I let out an exclamation not suitable for polite company.

I very carefully worked around it, loosening the clay. I wish I had taken an in-situ photograph or some video, but I was beyond excited to recover my first plate. I didn’t expect to find one, but I really wasn’t ready for what came next. When I pulled out the tongue for the first time in 150 years, and turned it over, I was presented with the figure of Virtus over the slain tyrant – the Virginia state seal. I repeated my exclamation.

Another gentleman called over to see what I’d found. I wanted to speak, but no words came. My heart raced, my breathing was erratic. I walked over, the buckle in my outstretched hand. I dropped to my knees, and sat down. I was shaking. It was an overwhelming experience like no other. Before too long there was a crowd, and several of the hunt organizers came to photograph the find. (It’s worth noting that my hunting partner used the lull in detecting activity to clean up on bullets!)

As if that wasn’t enough, here’s where it gets really cool. Out of the crowd, another digger (Greg) walks up and asks to see the tongue. Then he pulled out a small piece of brass, and laid it next to the broken loop on my buckle – a perfect fit. He had dug it earlier in the morning on that same hill. I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he told me they deserved to be together, and I could have it. What a guy!! I tried to pay for it, but he insisted. I will still find some way to do something for him though; he deserved it for that kind of generosity.

I still can’t really believe what I found. To think about the officer who lost that so long ago gives me chills. I haven’t cleaned it at all except running it under water, and I don’t intend to without hiring a professional restoration. I will display it proudly in my case at home, along with a VA seal button I was fortunate enough to dig back home in October. I am truly blessed beyond what I deserve, and give thanks to God for this find of a lifetime.

Sorry for the longwinded story. Cleaned pics are coming. Be sure to look for it an upcoming issue of North South Trader and/or American Digger. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

UPDATED: slightly cleaner pic
 

Attachments

  • virginia tongue.webp
    virginia tongue.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 6,759
  • divfindsall3days.webp
    divfindsall3days.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 4,922
  • divfield1.webp
    divfield1.webp
    89.6 KB · Views: 4,879
  • day2view.webp
    day2view.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 4,815
  • VA white small.webp
    VA white small.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,656
Upvote 14
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

I guess the ring will be retired as your avatar.

Congratulations on an outstanding find.

I know if you could bottle that first feeling of discovery,

we could make a few million dollars.

Yet more history saved.

This is the best hobby in the world.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

You have my BANNER vote!!! :hello2:
Unbelievable buckle find.
Way to go!!! :occasion14:
-MM-
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congratulations on the find!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

That is one sweet find... :headbang:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

SWEET LORD!! Banner, no brainer. Absolutely beautiful!!! Congratulations again! :notworthy:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Awesome find!! :headbang: :hello2: What's the kerksis # for that???
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congrats on your buckle. It looks great up top riding the BANNER train. :hello2:
-MM-
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

BANNER!!! Well deserved. Congrats again.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

CONGRATS FOR THE BANNER ! :thumbsup:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

WOW, thanks for the banner votes, everyone!! I didn't expect it to make the banner unless I got it cleaned. I need to get home from DIV tomorrow before I start looking into options for professional cleaning.

Thanks again, I'm still kindof in shock about this whole thing, haha.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Unbelievable. Great find and great story to go with it! Congrats! :icon_thumright:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

WOW!!! Congrats!! As a Virginia digger, that one just stopped me in my tracks!!

Keep up the good work and enjoy such a wonderful find!!

HH,

Sneaky6
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Tony, this is Phil (carpool buddy) it was great to meet you and be as close as I was to your find, absolutely fantastic...your three button display from the meeting the first night was also equally impressive.

Great digs man,

Phil
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

AWESOME JOB!! Congrats to you buddy!!!!!!!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Unbelievable find! Once in a lifetime there!!! ;D
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Man that's a sweet find. Makes me want to call in sick tomorrow and go detecting.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congrats on such a beautiful relic! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: Banner, too! :icon_thumright:

HH
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

:icon_thumleft:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Explanation translated: HOLY CRAP!!1!!!!!11!! Congrats! :laughing9:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

BANNNER>>>>>>AND I SECOND HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! Great save man... :headbang: :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom