What's new

My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

gtoast99

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
571
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Yesterday was Day 1 of my very first “Diggin’ in Virginia” event. My White’s DFX and SEF coil were humming along, and I had a few bullets in my pocket already when I met up with a guy I carpooled with from North Carolina. We sat out on the field on a beautiful fall day eating our lunch. I was simply loving life. Jim got a call from another friend of his who wanted to hunt a spot together, so we finished up our food and started further north.

When we got there, we found the hill we wanted to hit covered in GPX’s and TDI’s, and pockmarked with dig holes. We went down to the base of the hill, and both started picking up some more lead. After a time, I heard a guy up on that hill saying that he just pulled an Eagle I button. Well, despite the number of dug holes up there, if there are still finds that’s where I want to be. So I meandered my way up to the crest of that little hill overlooking the pond.

The signal itself wasn’t even very good. I would find out that several pieces of iron in and around the hole were masking the target underneath. But using a VLF at DIV, you learn to dig the worst little blips, and this was certainly a better signal than some others that produced bullets. So I dug, hoping for another piece of lead. But what I saw when I moved the clay was gorgeous green brass. I knew right away what it was. What I was looking at in the bottom of the hole, just a few inches deep in a field riddled with dig holes, was the back of a tongue from a tongue and wreath buckle. I let out an exclamation not suitable for polite company.

I very carefully worked around it, loosening the clay. I wish I had taken an in-situ photograph or some video, but I was beyond excited to recover my first plate. I didn’t expect to find one, but I really wasn’t ready for what came next. When I pulled out the tongue for the first time in 150 years, and turned it over, I was presented with the figure of Virtus over the slain tyrant – the Virginia state seal. I repeated my exclamation.

Another gentleman called over to see what I’d found. I wanted to speak, but no words came. My heart raced, my breathing was erratic. I walked over, the buckle in my outstretched hand. I dropped to my knees, and sat down. I was shaking. It was an overwhelming experience like no other. Before too long there was a crowd, and several of the hunt organizers came to photograph the find. (It’s worth noting that my hunting partner used the lull in detecting activity to clean up on bullets!)

As if that wasn’t enough, here’s where it gets really cool. Out of the crowd, another digger (Greg) walks up and asks to see the tongue. Then he pulled out a small piece of brass, and laid it next to the broken loop on my buckle – a perfect fit. He had dug it earlier in the morning on that same hill. I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he told me they deserved to be together, and I could have it. What a guy!! I tried to pay for it, but he insisted. I will still find some way to do something for him though; he deserved it for that kind of generosity.

I still can’t really believe what I found. To think about the officer who lost that so long ago gives me chills. I haven’t cleaned it at all except running it under water, and I don’t intend to without hiring a professional restoration. I will display it proudly in my case at home, along with a VA seal button I was fortunate enough to dig back home in October. I am truly blessed beyond what I deserve, and give thanks to God for this find of a lifetime.

Sorry for the longwinded story. Cleaned pics are coming. Be sure to look for it an upcoming issue of North South Trader and/or American Digger. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed.

UPDATED: slightly cleaner pic
 

Attachments

  • virginia tongue.webp
    virginia tongue.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 6,759
  • divfindsall3days.webp
    divfindsall3days.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 4,922
  • divfield1.webp
    divfield1.webp
    89.6 KB · Views: 4,879
  • day2view.webp
    day2view.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 4,815
  • VA white small.webp
    VA white small.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,656
Upvote 14
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Gorgeous, beautiful, incredible find. Congrats. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

:hello2: :o :o :o CONGRADULATIONS !!!!! What a great piece of history recovered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

what is a tongue? sorry for asking but i am curious.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

ckrakowski said:
what is a tongue? sorry for asking but i am curious.

Don't apologize, it's all good. It's half of a two part tongue and wreath buckle, designed for use by a Virginia officer. This is the tongue portion, which would fit inside the wreath half to close the belt. Here's an example of a Virginia State Seal tongue and wreath buckle reproduction bearing the same front design as my tongue. The buckle that reproduction was made from was worn by General Robert E. Lee himself.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Beautiful find! I hope it cleans up nice for you. Was that hunt sponsered by BMW hunt with
Wayne T. I Was hoping to try that hunt but scheduling would not allow.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Great Banner Find ! Congrats , dawg :occasion14:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

AWESOME!!!! I vote banner as well.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Wow! Big Congratulations! Please don't be in a hurry to choose your professional cleaner; ask the other relic hunters about who's already done the best job for them. Probably this is what you'd do anyhow, but I know when us humans get enthused about something awesome, sometimes we rush things. I really like it that you described so much about your hunt that day! HH Andi
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Awesome find :hello2: :icon_thumright:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Thanks again everyone!!

I'm home, and just starting to get pics off the camera and unwind a bit. I added three more pics. One is my total finds for the three days. The second is the field around where it was found (I was actually standing right over the dig hole taking this picture). The last one shows the hill it was found on from a distance, it's just over the creek where folks are detecting in the background. Hope you enjoy the new pics!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Excellant!!!! :notworthy:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congrats on a Stunning Find ! :o :thumbsup:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Thanks again everyone! I thought I'd take a moment to respond to some comments specifically.

Deno said:
I guess the ring will be retired as your avatar. Congratulations on an outstanding find. I know if you could bottle that first feeling of discovery,we could make a few million dollars.

You'd think it would be my avatar, but I've had this one for so long on so many different forums. I dunno, LOL. But it will be my FB profile picture for sure. And you're SO right about that feeling. I get chills all over again just thinking about it!

joeyfresh said:
Awesome find!! :headbang: :hello2: What's the kerksis # for that???

I don't know! But if anyone does know, please let me know haha. One interesting thing that an expert relic hunter pointed out to me was that the bar on the back isn't ornamental, just a plain metal loop. Don't know if that makes a difference or not in the ID #.

mustang8780 said:
Tony, this is Phil (carpool buddy) it was great to meet you and be as close as I was to your find, absolutely fantastic...your three button display from the meeting the first night was also equally impressive.

It was great meeting you, too!! Thanks, the three buttons will be in American Digger soon as well. I sure have been blessed with Confederate relics this year!! Did I hear through the grape vine you got a US plate? Don't know how I missed that!

70monte68 said:
Beautiful find! I hope it cleans up nice for you. Was that hunt sponsered by BMW hunt with
Wayne T. I Was hoping to try that hunt but scheduling would not allow.

It was John and Rose K's Diggin in Virginia hunt.

g-olden years said:
Wow! Big Congratulations! Please don't be in a hurry to choose your professional cleaner; ask the other relic hunters about who's already done the best job for them. Probably this is what you'd do anyhow, but I know when us humans get enthused about something awesome, sometimes we rush things. I really like it that you described so much about your hunt that day! HH Andi

If anyone has any suggestions for a professional cleaner, please let me know by PM!! I may have the bar straightened as well, not sure.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

gtoast99 said:
ckrakowski said:
what is a tongue? sorry for asking but i am curious.

Don't apologize, it's all good. It's half of a two part tongue and wreath buckle, designed for use by a Virginia officer. This is the tongue portion, which would fit inside the wreath half to close the belt. Here's an example of a Virginia State Seal tongue and wreath buckle reproduction bearing the same front design as my tongue. The buckle that reproduction was made from was worn by General Robert E. Lee himself.


Oooooh..... thank god someone explained that... I was pounding my head on the desk trying to figure out why everyone was getting far more excited (than they usually do) when a buckle piece is found.

I had no idea....
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Glad I got to see it in person. An excellent find! Congrats.
-Ev
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Tony, I wish i got a plate bud...you would have known for sure riding with me and all...I will get one someday...but not at this last hunt. Hopefully at relic rescue!

Awesome digs bud, cant wait to get that American Digger...I will prod Butch at the Minelab test to make sure i see it!
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congrats Tony on making the Banner my friend. I knew it would make it... I'll be real close your way Friday digging. Take it easy Man :icon_thumright:
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Woodland Detectors said:
Congrats Tony on making the Banner my friend. I knew it would make it... I'll be real close your way Friday digging. Take it easy Man :icon_thumright:
Congrats on a Banner find! Can't wait to see it clean. DD.
 
Re: My find of a lifetime: Diggin Virginia at "Diggin in Virginia"

Congrats on that superb banner.... :icon_thumleft: Stupendous!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom