My First Artifact Of 2011

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit it this morning as soon as I got off of work and was at the site by 6:00 AM. It was still dark so I put on the old trusty Headlamp and went a crawlin'. Man, that ground was cold and frosty and frozen for the first inch or so, but I managed to pull out one killer today. I didn't find any points at all, just a couple of tips, a crude Blank, a Bone Bead with both ends broke off, some decent Pottery Rim Shards(sorry no pics of those), and my killer which is a very nice Drilled Tooth.

What a way to start off the year with a perfect Drilled Tooth. The hole was just barely showing and if I hadn't been crawling I probably never would have seen it. I tired pulling on it gently but it was frozen in the ground so I had to get down real close, cup my hands over it, and breathe on it for a little bit to thaw the ground before it would come loose. I left about 15 minutes later because for one it was way to cold to be crawling on frozen ground, and my wife had just called and had locked herself out of the house barefoot. lol

No in situ since it still dark when I found it.

The first picture is everything else I found minus the Pottery and the rest are the Tooth. It is exactly 1 inch long and probably a Coyote, Fox, or Dog Canine Tooth. Very good polish on this one.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 625
  • DSC_0077.jpg
    DSC_0077.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0
That little tooth is a really cool find!

You probably have enough of those teeth to string a necklace. Nice artifacts. Glad you got out of the house.

Great tooth SRV.................What a start!!!!............................GTP :icon_thumleft:

Dang how many of them do ya have now? What like 70 or so...har...

Great find buddy....Ya made me green.....AGAIN

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

Frank, I probably have around 35 or so Drilled Teeth now from various sites. I have 13 from this site alone along with 2 that have been grooved for suspension. The weird thing with this site is we don't find the Effigy Teeth made from Cannel Coal and Shell there like we do on our other Ft Ancient sites.

That's a way to start the year!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments.

Musky44, it's only an inch long so I'd say it's from a Dog, Coyote, or Fox. Way to small to be a Bears tooth.

We had a brief couple of days where the snow melted and that's when I found this Tooth. Other than that it has pretty much been snowed covered for quite some time. It did melt quite a bit of it off today though since it was up over 40 degrees for most of the day. If we don't get the snow they are talking about in the next few days I'm going to hit the site again soon.

Steve - Great find. Never found one myself, have only seen one found. I imagine they're extremely hard to find in good condition like that. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back