My First Bag, and it was a HOME RUN!

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
I have always wanted to get a bag of half dollars from a coin sorting machine, but never had the opportunity. I was dumping my rejects from a box of nickels and maybe $20 in halves in a coin machine at the bank and my small amount of halves filled the bag. I figured another hunted had dumped their rejects into the machine before me. The lady came over to change it, and she said she wasn't surprised it filled because some old lady had come in a few hours before with pillow cases full of coins she had been saving for years. Naturally, my ears perked up and I looked at the bag when the lady from the bank took it out. I could see DOZENS of silver rimmed coins in the bag and I got really excited. I asked the lady if I could buy the bag, and she said no. So i asked for the mgr, explained that I would like the bag and promised not to return the coins back into their machine, and he said yes :)
When i got home to search the bag, each handful of coins yielded some silver. The totals were as follows:

Walkers: 9
Franklins: 10
1964 JFK: 29
40% Clad: 110
NIFC halves (2007 p, d, 2003p)

All in all that $1,000 bag of halves yielded over $1100 in silver :)

I should just stop now, bc I know this is never happening again.....(this week I also got 5 morgan dollars mixed in an envelope with Ikes from a bank, one of which was an 1878cc).

Upvote 0

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would cry tears of joy if I hit a score like that.

Congrats!

You should show us a picture of your haul.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why I love bags...and a heck of a lot easier to sort than rolls. Congrats on the nice score. Now post a few pics so we can drool...

steeda

Mar 16, 2010
Thats amazing!! Great job on the score!!! :thumbsup:

You gotta to hit up that coin counter again! ;D

Just like everyone else has been saying... Post some pics!

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
Excellant score!!! You should quit while your ahead, Just kidding. anyway good luck and happy hunting.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't already, go try to get the other denominations too if they haven't already been shipped off.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
If she had pillow cases full of coins i hope you ask for the dime and quarter bags as well.................?

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice :icon_thumright:. A find this nice requires at least one pic :laughing7:

OP
OP
dpy52081

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
By popular demand, here is the photo of the half dollar bag and the Morgans. There is actually an epilogue to the story.....

When I was dumping the halves at the local TD bank, I obviously filled up the machine several times, so the teller just stayed with me with the machine open. I noticed some silver dimes laying on the floor in the reject area, so i asked for them. The teller said yes, and that they usually throw rejects into an envelope to ship away (which they don't get money for). I asked to look in the envelope, and there were 6 silver Roosevelt dimes, a Mercury, and 3 washington quarters! I told the teller I would do an even swap for them, and he said don't worry about it, just take them, they're on the house! In other words, I didn't even have to do an even swap for them!!!!! (I bought the branch a dozen bagels to say thanks).

But now, without further tangents by yours truly, here is the pic you have all been waiting for :hello2:

Attachments

• silverbag.jpg
    silverbag.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 486

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about lucky. You sure was there at the right time. Great score.....Matt

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super score! :notworthy:
That goes in the record books! :icon_salut:
Steve

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beginner's Luck!!! :thumbsup: Congratulations on a score of a lifetime!!! :hello2:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread