What's new

My First Confederate Button. Virginia State Seal!

Thunderchild

Full Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2011
Messages
163
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted the much pounded Yankee camp near my home yesterday with Modern Miner. While Doug was playing Marlin Perkins and pestering Snakes ( Doug 1 Copperhead 0). I was hitting the center of the camp where numerous detectors, including mine, have swung since last December. I picked up a fairly solid signal with the AT PRO with the VDI jumping between 53-75. I cleared away the leaves, dug, cut roots and dug more, Finally about 9" down on the bottom I pulled a sweet Virginia State Seal button. The back mark reads " G. Floyd & Co." and " Super fine". I'm guessing that his button was a battlefield prize that some Union soldier had pocketed for the trip home before losing it at this site. I say this because to my knowledge there have been no other Confederate artifacts found on this camp site.

I am also posting pics from some recent short hunts at this same site. Last Sunday I hunted the same site with Mike of Woodland Detectors ( just as nice in person as he is on the phone), Tony ( gtoast99) and Modern Miner. All great guys. Also got to see Mike's GPX in action.

Everytime I hit this spot I think to myself " Okay, NOW its hunted out" but then I'll find a thing or two. Note, the large grouping of relics are from January 2012,
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0900.webp
    IMAG0900.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 786
  • IMAG0906.webp
    IMAG0906.webp
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,361
  • IMAG0871.webp
    IMAG0871.webp
    5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IMAG0883.webp
    IMAG0883.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMAG0865.webp
    IMAG0865.webp
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • IMAG0878.webp
    IMAG0878.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 742
  • IMAG0887.webp
    IMAG0887.webp
    6.5 KB · Views: 753
  • IMAG0858.webp
    IMAG0858.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 761
  • IMAG0891.webp
    IMAG0891.webp
    11.3 KB · Views: 745
  • IMAG0902.webp
    IMAG0902.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 754
  • IMAG0901.webp
    IMAG0901.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 759
  • IMAG0863.webp
    IMAG0863.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0
Glenn,
A big CONGRATS on that awesome VA button. I'm glad I was able to be there to see you find your first Confed button. You and that AT Pro have done an outstanding job of sniffing out relics at that camp. Just when I think there is nothing left, you pop up with another great find. Your collection of relics from that site has really grown in just a few short months. I hope your wife is finally getting over you being gone all the time to dig in the dirt. LOL
As far as that Copperhead I got yesterday, I put it in a hole with a CW bullet to see if you can find it. Bring extra shorts with you next time out.
Congrats Glenn.
-Dug--
 
:o Yes sir , those are grreat diggs :icon_thumleft: Marlin Perkins aka Dug :laughing9: He may of found that fantastic Va. button is he wasn't messin' with the copperhead :D what's the story on the shoe ? Thanks for the thread and Welcome Thunderchild 8) one more question , is that a dug cannon in your avatar :o
 
Great looking dig's TC :thumbsup: Congrat's on your first Confederate Button!!!
 
ModernMiner said:
Glenn,
A big CONGRATS on that awesome VA button. I'm glad I was able to be there to see you find your first Confed button. You and that AT Pro have done an outstanding job of sniffing out relics at that camp. Just when I think there is nothing left, you pop up with another great find. Your collection of relics from that site has really grown in just a few short months. I hope your wife is finally getting over you being gone all the time to dig in the dirt. LOL
As far as that Copperhead I got yesterday, I put it in a hole with a CW bullet to see if you can find it. Bring extra shorts with you next time out.
Congrats Glenn.
-Dug--




Thanks for the kind words Dug. You and others have probably accidently thrown away more relics than I've found! The AT PRO certainly has paid for itself in the short time I've had it.
 
CMDiamonddawg said:
:o Yes sir , those are grreat diggs :icon_thumleft: Marlin Perkins aka Dug :laughing9: He may of found that fantastic Va. button is he wasn't messin' with the copperhead :D what's the story on the shoe ? Thanks for the thread and Welcome Thunderchild 8) one more question , is that a dug cannon in your avatar :o


Thanks for the compliment! The "shoe" I believe is a heel plate. It appears to match the photo in Crouch's book. The Cannon? Yes, It was dug from my backyard. It was masking out a Merc dime. :wink: Actually photo shopped. I thought it would make a funny avatar.
 
Ah, a Virginia state seal button . . . I can only dream. :hello2:
 
RTDE3 said:
Really sweet button Glenn! Congrats on your first one and all the rest of your relics!
To hear Doug tell the story about the snake, he said that he threw himself on it to protect the rest of you! He said it was the size of a full grown Andaconda & he wrestled it before killing it with his bear hands! ::) Please confrim this. ;D
Rob


All I can say is that If youre old enough to have watch the Mutal of Omaha outdoor show, you will remember that Marlin's sidekick Jim was always the one who ended up wrestling the Anaconda. I did hear what I thought was a little girl's high pitched scream. Ha Ha.
 
Congrats on a great button Glenn and glad you and "Snake Doctor" Snyder got out. Let me preface this by saying that I do not profess to be an authority on CW relics but the only VA button in Albert's button book with your back mark is a VA 6 a. The new N S Trader price guide values it as $275-500 in excavated condition. Not as rare as DUG's Navy button but a really nice one.
Continue to go back to the camp you located until you come back empty handed and I hope the low life poachers who intruded on your site see what they missed. HH, Quindy.
 
:notworthy: Woooohooo! Congratulations on your first confederate button Glen. That back mark is a scarce one. A real prize! You are off to a great start this year. It was really good to finally do some digging with you Sunday. I had a great time. FYI...Remember when you has asked about the strength of that Eagle button I dug? Well I was trying to clean it the other night, and mine disintegrated like dust like you had mentioned yours did. :'( We will plan a hunt soon out this way. Take care buddy.

Mike
 
That is an awesome button.
Congrats
Dman
 
Stellar button!!Could we get a better look at that Pocket knife?
 
Congrats on your first CS button! (My first was a North Carolina) Nice group of finds you have made there.
 
Huge congrats ! I just found my first the other day .NC in poor condition. :coffee2:
 
"While Doug was playing Marlin Perkins and pestering Snakes"




I laughed super hard at this.
 
Awesome finds , and that button is in awesome shape !!!
 
NICE!!!! Great button!!!
Congrats!!
:icon_thumright:

Joe
 
RTDE3 said:
Thunderchild said:
I did hear what I thought was a little girl's high pitched scream. Ha Ha.

Now that sounds like the Doug I know! :laughing9:

Oh, you guys are hilarious!!! :laughing9:
Here's a picture of this GIANT woodland serpent that I battled to save Glenn's and others lives. Sorry, I could only fit 6 feet of this slithering predator in the photo. There was another 3 feet beyond that. :o And by the way, that girlish high pitched scream you heard was not me, it was the snake making those noises when I pulled out his front fangs with my manly muscular fingers. I must admit he put up a fight, but when you've been wrangling killer snakes for as long as I have, you just consider this another day at the office. :occasion14: It's lucky I was there to help keep Glenn safe. :icon_thumleft:

Rob,
When water detecting season rolls around for you just let me know if you need me to take care of those sharks. :tongue3:

-Doug Perkins-
 

Attachments

  • Giant Copperhead.webp
    Giant Copperhead.webp
    114 KB · Views: 756
kuger said:
Stellar button!!Could we get a better look at that Pocket knife?
Picture of pocket knife added.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom