What's new

my first CRH

jerseyben

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
5,216
Reaction score
2,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up 9 rolls of halves from my credit union. Ended up with (6) 40% halves! They were very nice about it too.
The teller said they also have $180 in "large dollar coins". Think its worth it to check the Ikes for silver or are those chances too small? I also dont want to get stuck with 180 Ikes.
 
Upvote 0
jerseyben said:
Picked up 9 rolls of halves from my credit union. Ended up with (6) 40% halves! They were very nice about it too.
The teller said they also have $180 in "large dollar coins". Think its worth it to check the Ikes for silver or are those chances too small? I also dont want to get stuck with 180 Ikes.
Some of them may not be Ikes. They could be Pease or Morgan dollars as well.

Ikes carry a premium as well.
 
Just curious how hard it will be to dump that many Ikes that only have face value.
 
Nice score on the halves !
I'd take the big dollars. You never know you may score some silver. I don't get them very often, but when I do I just spend them filling up the gas tank. Easy way to get rid of them.
HH
Rich
 
I'd also suggest picking up the "large dollars".

Aside from what non-Ikes you might find, I'd also keep any '73P & D (the lowest mintages Not Intended For Circulation) and any '77P (the lowest mintages Intended for circulation).

http://www.coinfacts.com/silver_dollars/eisenhower_dollars/eisenhower_dollars.html

Besides, as Rich stated, getting rid of the ones you don't want (small purchases, tips, etc) shouldn't be difficult.

Good luck.
 
jerseyben said:
Picked up 9 rolls of halves from my credit union. Ended up with (6) 40% halves! They were very nice about it too.
The teller said they also have $180 in "large dollar coins". Think its worth it to check the Ikes for silver or are those chances too small? I also dont want to get stuck with 180 Ikes.

i would love to find a bank with some ikes...damn...i wanted some for my kids and they are like 2-3 bucks a piece on eBay....Plus a Morgan o Peace dollar would be sweet :thumbsup:
 
Got a large bag of Ikes a couple years back with some halfs. Looked for the S, but none. Sold in two lots on FeeB for a small profit. I think people like to give them to kids/grandkids.
 
6 silver halves is great for your first ever CRH. Even a little bit can get you hooked :tongue3:

Personally, I would buy the Ikes just for the off chance that there is a Morgan or Peace in the mix. The best way to get rid of them is to spend them. Use them to buy gas, lunch, etc., most people seem to love them :thumbsup: If you get a really large amount of them, you could try selling them online, they usually go for a small premium.

Good luck and HH!
~Syrys
 
I've been reading this site for a while...finally took the plunge,in a minor way....Wifey needed to go to the bank,so I got a roll of halfs,10 bucks........hand rolled,so I felt lucky. Once we got home,I broke it open.....9 40's and a ben! Was it beginners luck or what??!!!
 
blkcwbyhat said:
I've been reading this site for a while...finally took the plunge,in a minor way....Wifey needed to go to the bank,so I got a roll of halfs,10 bucks........hand rolled,so I felt lucky. Once we got home,I broke it open.....9 40's and a ben! Was it beginners luck or what??!!!
Dunno, but I'd be going back and cleaning them out.
 
blkcwbyhat said:
I've been reading this site for a while...finally took the plunge,in a minor way....Wifey needed to go to the bank,so I got a roll of halfs,10 bucks........hand rolled,so I felt lucky. Once we got home,I broke it open.....9 40's and a ben! Was it beginners luck or what??!!!

Nice. I guess beginner's luck strikes twice! BTW, I picked up those Ikes (all 140 of them, not 180 like I thought). I'll post my findings later.
 
blkcwbyhat said:
I've been reading this site for a while...finally took the plunge,in a minor way....Wifey needed to go to the bank,so I got a roll of halfs,10 bucks........hand rolled,so I felt lucky. Once we got home,I broke it open.....9 40's and a ben! Was it beginners luck or what??!!!

Wow that's awesome! I would go back and buy all the rolls they have. That kind of score doesn't happen too often :thumbsup:
 
thats great for the amout you searched!!! i would search like 20 boxes to get what you got :laughing9:
good luck on the MORGAN DOLLARS.....err i mean ikes :laughing7:
 
No silver in the the rolls of Ikes. Over 70 of the Bicentenials. A Few 1977-Ps. I saw these (2 auctions) in lots of 100 on ebay going for $150 so I guess I will still be able to make a profit on these anyway!
 
If I wasn't already addicted, this morning's CRH really got me hooked! Cashed in the clad halves from my first post above. Drove home and passed a local bank I have always just driven right past. Stopped in and asked teller for halves. Her face lights up and says well I've got quite a bunch, $200 worth. I only had $100 on me so I picked up 10 rolls. Got home, 9 rolls through and only (2) 40% halves. Last roll, crack it and a 1967 is sitting on top. The WHOLE ENTIRE roll was 40% silver halves! So that makes a total of (22) 40% halves out of these 10 rolls. Better believe I am promptly going back for the other 10 rolls she still has...
 

Attachments

  • 1204001056.webp
    1204001056.webp
    283.6 KB · Views: 208
Guess I was too late after my big hit...I got some silver dollars at the grocery store,nothing..So I went back to the bank to get more halves and buy them with the silver dollars,but they only had 5 bucks in halves???? I got them,nothing really good,cept for an 87 with a mirror finish,looks like a proof to me.Is that a decent hit?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom