What's new

My first Gold find and its BIG !!!!!!!!

Johnlightning

Full Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
100
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indian Territories
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Etrac and SE Pro
Best detectors built by far!
Well finally got around to post my best and find of a lifetime that happen on 10/31/2009 at 2:15pm a date and time that will be with me forever, a 1850 $20 Gold US coin. She is a little beat up but Ill take her. It was only my 3rd day out with my new Minelab Etrac. My only other find of the day was one 69 cal. roundball.
 

Attachments

  • gold4.webp
    gold4.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 7,328
Upvote 0
From now on I am digging those pesky pulltab signals. :notworthy: I am :notworthy:...Wow..
 
Nice coin, well done :icon_thumright:
 
Congrats on your banner gold! :thumbsup:
 
Well this is how the day played out, Chuck Marcum of Indian Nations Detectors took me with him hunting to a spot around Muskogee OK to a horse pasture that he had hunted in the past with owners permission. He had found some 3 ringers and a few eagle buttons in the past and since the grass was low from the cattle and horses grazzing he wanted to hunt it again with the new Minelab Etrac. He is a Minelab dealer and I purchased mine from him. Well it was becoming one of those days when you ask yourself why am I into this so much, get up at 6 AM drive 1 hour and walk around like a nomad looking for something that beeps. It was getting late and all i had found was one 69 cal roundball, while Chuck had found many 3 ringers and a few Eagle buttons and I was ready to go to another site when I got a good signal that came in as a dime 12-42 but deap on the scale and both ways I swung was there, but as many of you know that could be shredded pop can like I had dug just before that so I shoveled the first pile out of the hole and the signal was still there in the hole, 2nd dig and it was still there, by now the pop can shred should be out of the hole so I was getting kind of exited so turned on my UniProbe and went down in the hole and I sang off, so in for a 3nd load of dirt and I could see the reeded edge and I thought I finally got a Seated Half or a Bust because of the size, picked up the clod of dirt it was in and pushed on it and the coin dropped into my hand, first thing I thought was that is heavy, flicked some of the dirt off and thought I just dug one of those Gold Plated Kennedy Halfs, crap! Then came the next flick of dirt of it and there She was LADY LIBERTY HEAD!!!!! I ripped of my headphones and screamed like a little girl for Chuck, he was about 200 yards away so he said come here so I ran over to him, I thought I was going to pass out or throw up, didnt know which one but there is was a 20 Dollar Gold coin in my hand, He said 1850 with no mint mark. The photo is of the coins 5 minutes after I dug it with some of the dirt still on it. Like Chuck said We dont get many coins in the old spots but when we do they are good ones.
 

Attachments

  • duggold.webp
    duggold.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 5,686
  • goldfront.webp
    goldfront.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 5,664
  • 1850back.webp
    1850back.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 5,644
Just simply awesome !!!!!

What else can you say. Seeing a find like that can leave a person speechless.

Congrats on a Find of a Lifetime !!!

Brian in MA
 
Congratulations on an incredible find :hello2:
You'll never forget this one.
HH,
MT
 
Thanks for taking the time to write the detailed description, it helped us all relive your big moment of excitement. I can't imagine what that must have been like. What a day! Congratulations on the well-deserved banner.
 
Congratulations on that nice $20 gold coin and making the banner.
I hope you rechecked the hole and all around it. There could be more.
roger
 
That is just awesome! Nothing better than seeing a gold coin come from the ground. I've only experienced it once, and mine was an 1886s $10 gold coin. Seeing that gold reeded edge peeking out of the dark dirt clod I was holding was an experience I'll never forget. I'm sure you'll never forget finding this $20 gold coin either.

Congrats on making the banner.

Jim
 
Terrific find, hope it's the first of many :icon_thumright:
 
Congratulations :icon_thumleft:
 
Holy smokes that's one heckuva find! :notworthy:

That deserves a "Doing the Bull Dance"

bull.gif
 
Great story,you never expect it do ya!Kudos to you for not touching either of the surfaces,that is a huge no no!Could ruin the value! :thumbsup:
 
rodgerdodger said:
Congratulations on that nice $20 gold coin and making the banner.
I hope you rechecked the hole and all around it. There could be more.
roger

I hate when people talk from experience...;)
 
Awesome find!!Simply awesome.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom