What's new

My first point and the start of an addiction

keepsake

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
58
Golden Thread
0
Location
east central Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago my brother and I were digging in a backyard to a install brick patio- he owns a landscape company and has been in the industry for thirty years. Anyway, we were always on the lookout for coins or anything of interest and we would find "old Indian" beer cans or "old Indian" spark plugs and tease each other, always hoping to find a nice point. This particular day I was digging the last scoop of dirt into the wheelbarrow when I saw this point laying perfectly bared by my shovel. If I had dug a half inch shallower I never would have seen it, and a half inch deeper, it would have ended up in the wheelbarrow never to be found again. I often wonder how many points we may have shoveled up and hauled to the quarry as fill. My brother has yet to find his first point- I believe this one is a waubesa. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • P2260023 (480x640).webp
    P2260023 (480x640).webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 130
  • P2260024 (640x480).webp
    P2260024 (640x480).webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
Nice find Keepsake and great display!!
Thanks for sharing your find, great to see some threads from us folks up north.
Keep diggin'
 
Great save! You do know....once your in your in ....right? LOL. Is there any way you could take a photo holding it or with some other size reference? Is the tip glued on?
 
I found my first one when I was a kid. We owned some land by the ocean and I found it. I still have it some place. I would like to find it so I can be sure it isnt a Clovis.
 
Great save! You do know....once your in your in ....right? LOL. Is there any way you could take a photo holding it or with some other size reference? Is the tip glued on?

It is 2 9/16" long and 1 1/8" wide- what you are seeing at the tip is the wire I used to hold it onto a small narrow block of wood so it kind of looks like it is floating in the frame. There is some staining near the tip though.
 
Now days it isnt a real good idea to hold them in place with wire. If it was a important piece as in value and you want to get it papered it could actually show up as being modern just because the wire left residue on the point. Just to let you know. Other than that its a nice point and a good story to go with it.
 
Besides worrying about money.. As I am sure it is valuable to you.... wire can damage the point. They sell some nice display cases that allow the piece to rest on padding while a glass lid is closed over the point gently pressing it into the padding holding it in place. Sometimes I make my own. Here is one

ForumRunner_20130227_225809.webp

for example
 
Nice find and welcome aboard. It is a fun hobby looking for points in the fields and each scoop of dirt in the back yard. They turn up in the strangest paces. Good save as a lot is being put under shopping malls and parking lots. :thumbsup:
 
Welcome to TNET, and thanks for sharing your first find! :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom