What's new

my first proof

phrostie

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
534
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nap Town
Sorry if I've been posting too much, but this is so exciting! This was my first week but today I found a good one...well at least I think it's good. I hit up five new banks, but only found any at one. I asked the teller if she had any halves, and says she only has $2 worth. The teller next to her goes, I have 6 total, and the lady in the back has two...fourteen total. The teller next to her goes, look at this one it's really shiny.

The find : a 1967, a 1969-D, a 1969-S.

The questions:
I also found a 1985-P which appears to be gold. Did they make gold ones? And where does everyone order boxes from, how many are in a box (is it $1000)?

I have drill tomorrow... going up to a older town, called ahead, looks like 13 rolls at a few banks. Hopefully good luck awaits. Good luck to all, and to all a goodnight.
 
Upvote 0
It would be either gold plated or gold colored paint. Either way it's technically post mint damage.
 
Wait until you find the clad halves with silver-painted edges - that just aint right.
 
Are ya going to be able to sleep tonight knowing you have maybe 13 rolls waiting for you tomorrow?
 
Yeah I have found quite a few gold plated. I kept one for my collection, i toss them when I see them now. I also ran into a silver plated one. I thought for sure I had a silver proof, but it wasn't. I kept that one for my collections as well.
 
Dandow, most banks can order boxes for you. The boxes are $500(50 Rolls). You will need to ask if there are any fees associated with the boxes. Some banks get up to $10 per box. I would keep asking around if your bank has high fees or won't order them. CRH rule #5280 is you don't dump your coins at the same bank you pick up boxes at. They get very tired of that in a hurry.
Some banks can order you $1000 bags of halves. If the bank has a coin ,machine up front, ask if you can buy the bag when it gets full. Some of us will purposely fill up a bag and then buy it(especially if the tellers say it has been there a long time) Good luck, Jim
 
good advice from jim. well said. and remember...whether they have halves or not....ask if they have any LARGE DOLLAR COINS as well. i hear tell that people actually find silver ikes and occasionally morgans and peace dollars in amongst those clad ikes! some guys like that guy Rich Hartman (see post http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,203926.0.html ) have found silver eagles (one ounce .999 pure silver) and picked them up for a buck! don't forget the large dollar coins. i've seen what LJ has gotten from asking....and now i ask too. they're out there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom