My first real hunt today.... Ho Hum....Oh well!

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing that appears too old this time,

but I had fun learning from this trip. Today I was off work and had a permission on an abandoned Horse ranch that is pretty much grown over. But I wanted to try my hand at something other than my back yard. And there is a winter storm coming and they expect a little snow so it will be too messy this weekend to hunt. So.... I started out with my Garrett Ace 400 set on Relic. I found lots of cans and aluminum foil (Not all shown here) and decided to go off the driveway to the less trashy areas.. I found a large metal Iron pan that is missing most of it. I found a piece of plate steel that looks like it broke off a large flat 1/4" this disk. I found a not so old WD40 can. I found a pair of recent hand clippers. and misc. other iren nails and aluminum lids and such. I decided to try out the coin mode. I only had about another 20 minute to search anyway and I wanted to try another setting. So within about 5 minutes and 25 feet separating them I found a Zinc Lincoln Penny (Very Corroded) and I Clad Dime from what appears to say 2003. Oh well at least I know the coin mode works. Here is my photos from today. Let me know if you can ID the iron mold or pan part in the photo. Thanks
View attachment IMG_20170106_103503673.jpg View attachment IMG_20170106_103510801.jpg View attachment IMG_20170106_105652188.jpg View attachment IMG_20170106_110117194.jpg IMG_20170106_112018090.jpg View attachment IMG_20170106_112022340.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell that you are having fun!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Getting out and having fun is the best part of the hobby!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep hunting that spot. If there is no iron, there's no life. Bound to be good stuff there. Good luck!

HH RN

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be going back. I only covered a small amount of the area. Some of the grounds are heavily overgrown. Those areas will take a little more work. But this area should keep me busy for quite a while. Thanks for all the feedback.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job RF, You have a great machine and if the ground is not frozen there (yet) have fun digging! Sub 8-) (Not yet retired fire.)

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was machines pinpoint feature will help you size up your finds, listen to the machine telling you how large something is and the shape of the object w the tone peak and drop off. HH!!

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Job RF, You have a great machine and if the ground is not frozen there (yet) have fun digging! Sub 8-) (Not yet retired fire.)

Thanks Sub, Retirement is good!

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was machines pinpoint feature will help you size up your finds, listen to the machine telling you how large something is and the shape of the object w the tone peak and drop off. HH!!
I am starting to get the hang of it. The pinpoint feature is pretty accurate and it also can help to size objects. Once I find center I move it forwards, back, left and right and I can tell about how long and wide it is. I am still getting to know the tones. They can be tricky!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't help but spot the piece of the old iron bread stick pan in the your first pics. My wife collects vintage iron cookware. A shame it was broken. You wouldn't believe what some of that stuff is going for these days. Congrats, and keep at it. You'll probably pull out some great finds from that site.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tommy. A link was posted that shows that pan in new condition for $65.00! So I end up with $11.81 woth of pan! LOL

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your service This hobby is lots of fun relaxing great exercise. The finds are great I have lots of coins and rings and relics I love it Thanks for the post hope to see lots more!!!!!

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your service This hobby is lots of fun relaxing great exercise. The finds are great I have lots of coins and rings and relics I love it Thanks for the post hope to see lots more!!!!!
Your welcome Tommy and Thank you. I am so looking forward to getting out and hunting. It is like fishing to me. If I go fishing and I don't catch a thing I still had a great time being outside. If I catch fish, well that's a bonus! If I go hunt and find nothing I am still happy just being out there.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it,
that first silver coin or gold ring is going to put you on the moon.
Congrats on getting out.
Thanks, I hope someday it happens but I will not give up. I have so much to learn and I know it will take time. Who knows, I might get lucky and my next hunt may be the one. LOL

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. When I learn a new machine, I dig every signal for a good 3 months so I learn every nuance of the machine, and targets. Best of luck!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, thats a good machine very capable of finding very good stuff, just have to pass your coil over it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks and sounds like one of my first hunts, digging it all so I could mentally ID targets with tones. Keep at it. I am not a big iron guy, so I disc the lower iron out, but I am not in Civil War territory like yourself. When I hunt in the East, I run All Metal and 2 tone on my F75. Do you have a pin pointer yet? What are you digging with? Have you looked at any historic aerials of the site to see how it looked in the past? I love that site and found aerials as far back as the 1950's from some local sites in Ohio.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread