My first time Panning and Prospecting on S. Fork American River Feeder Creek

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just turned 35 a few weeks ago and have always been interested in treasure hunting and prospecting for gold. Since I was born and raised in California, the 49er gold rush was taught in 4th grade history class. This opened me up the world of this fine metal "GOLD" Now I have moved away from the city life and into "Gold Country" I can realize my dreams of prospecting and looking for gold. I took My first ever gold prospecting trip in the rain, Pan/Classifier/Steel Pry Bar all packed in my backpack.I picked up some panning equipment used online and decided to take a hike up the south fork of the american river.
I found this on Christmas Eve for $20 bux, not a bad deal for my first pan, classifier and shovel.
IMG_20121224_203844_894.jpg
The creek I found along the river looked so nice
IMG_20121225_160200_053.jpg
Ok I am soaked by the rain at this point and decide this might be a good spot to try my luck for the first time so I took some samples and hiked back to the car and drove home.
IMG_20121225_160250_578.jpg
Is this what I think it is? I really can't tell and don't want to be fooled by that "fools gold'!
I decided to leave most of the samples alone till I find an expert to help me decide what this is
IMG_20121225_173743_446.jpg

I hope you guys enjoyed the story of my first ever prospecting trip!
I need to build or buy a sluice now!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to tell from the pic if that is gold.

As you gently swirl the water in your pan, the gold should stay put, while the lighter material moves.

Radio Shack sells a pocket 30x microscope for cheap, that helped me when I was starting.

Tiny specs look like big nugs with the 30x, and much easier to identify. Good Luck, post more pics.

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell if there is gold in the pan but I'm guessing its a good spot for it. If I found a spot like that here in MN I would be all over that like flies on stink!:thumbsup: make sure you get down under those boulders and big rocks thats where that yella stuff likes to hide:occasion14:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure does look like gold. But to be certain you better send it to me so I can look at it first hand. :tongue3:

Take a piece and hit it with a small tack hammer and see if it flattens out like metal or whether it breaks like it's brittle.
If it flattens out It's probably gold.

GG~

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I zoomed the pic and I think I see the gold now

OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to tell from the pic if that is gold.
As you gently swirl the water in your pan, the gold should stay put, while the lighter material moves.
Radio Shack sells a pocket 30x microscope for cheap, that helped me when I was starting.
Tiny specs look like big nugs with the 30x, and much easier to identify. Good Luck, post more pics.

I do have a 30X microscope, now where is it?Good tip Gold Maven, thanks. I would hope to meet some experts around my area who have them blue bowls and classifiers who can help me separate the gold from the dirt/gravel if it is actually real gold. I don't mind giving this dirt to someone for the trouble and they can keep the gold, maybe just leave me with the largest single piece as a memento of my first prospecting trip.

I can't tell if there is gold in the pan but I'm guessing its a good spot for it. If I found a spot like that here in MN I would be all over that like flies on stink!:thumbsup: make sure you get down under those boulders and big rocks thats where that yella stuff likes to hide:occasion14:

The spot looks untouched by prospectors and I think it only appears when it rains. Tons of rocks but the whole time I was there the rain was getting my glasses wet, making it hard to see. I was tired and something told me not to take to much of a sample back to stay light. This is a sure way to get back into shape with the incentive of finding some of the shiny yellow stuff. I may try heading up there, better prepared to dig up more samples when it stops raining.

Sure does look like gold. But to be certain you better send it to me so I can look at it first hand. :tongue3:
Take a piece and hit it with a small tack hammer and see if it flattens out like metal or whether it breaks like it's brittle.
If it flattens out It's probably gold.
GG~

Maybe I can start selling pay dirt on EBay:laughing7: Thanks for that tip, I will tweeter that booger out and try putting it between some pliers and see the results once I get back into gold country. I been moving up there and making many 160mile trips in a Honda.

Anybody in gold country near HWY 50 interested in showing a newbie around? I don't have much gravel but is someone helps me figure out if there is gold in it keep it all, just leave me with the single largest piece as a memento of my first prospecting trip! Any takers near Folsom Lake?

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice little nugget of the left side of that pan picture. My first gold was on the N. Fork of the American a long time ago.
I've had the gold fever ever since.

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the only good thing about minnesota is that there is probley only 100-200 prospectors in the whole state so if we find a spot like that your almost positive its virgin ground.....cool spot though its really a beaut...I could spend a weekend in a spot like that!!!!!!:occasion14:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a really nice area and that sure looks like gold to me.

I have been moving my apartment here in Redding down to my house in Sacramento (Citrus Heights) so I am going to be pretty darn close to ya.
Tomorrow is my last day living in Redding, but I plan to come back several times over the spring, summer and fall for the gold. :)

I might be able to swing by some time and bring some of my gold along to compare and maybe you can show me that area. :D

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Neo, with your sniping skills and about a thousand miles of bedrock just uphill from Sac., you are going to have fun this summer!:headbang:

OP
OP
J

JunGun

Dec 25, 2012
On your GOLD patches! =)
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a really nice area and that sure looks like gold to me.
I have been moving my apartment here in Redding down to my house in Sacramento (Citrus Heights) so I am going to be pretty darn close to ya.
Tomorrow is my last day living in Redding, but I plan to come back several times over the spring, summer and fall for the gold. :)
I might be able to swing by some time and bring some of my gold along to compare and maybe you can show me that area. :D

Redding is pretty nice also and gold up there?! Been camping a few times in the area and I love it.
I would be happy to show you the spot but i doubt it's got anything good in it, I tested the sample I took and think it ended up being something else due to flaking when testing with my fingernail. :sadsmiley: Oh well time to go searching more or try digging deeper or other locations in the same spot since it is fairly easy to get to with parking about 1/4 mile away. I would be happy to hang out and go prospecting with you, still have not made any prospecting friends but I am sure when I do there will be gold prospecting adventures to be had!

Thats the only good thing about minnesota is that there is probley only 100-200 prospectors in the whole state so if we find a spot like that your almost positive its virgin ground.....cool spot though its really a beaut...I could spend a weekend in a spot like that!!!!!!:occasion14:

Nice state you live in, I hope to visit there one day and visit my cousins and the BIG MALL you guys have out there.

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redding is pretty nice also and gold up there?! Been camping a few times in the area and I love it.
I would be happy to show you the spot but i doubt it's got anything good in it, I tested the sample I took and think it ended up being something else due to flaking when testing with my fingernail. :sadsmiley: Oh well time to go searching more or try digging deeper or other locations in the same spot since it is fairly easy to get to with parking about 1/4 mile away. I would be happy to hang out and go prospecting with you, still have not made any prospecting friends but I am sure when I do there will be gold prospecting adventures to be had!

Nice state you live in, I hope to visit there one day and visit my cousins and the BIG MALL you guys have out there.

Lol!!!! thats funny you mention the big mall, my best gold spot so far is just a couple miles from the mall of america

Hangtown

Jan 10, 2013
El dorado county
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am pretty sure this spot has and will continue to see prospectors. Me being one of them. That spot only shows when it rains. It forks up on top a little on a ravine. This spot has fed some nice powder and nugget. And I am pretty damn sure it's a claim. So be careful. Laws are laws.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread